ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting FACT OR FICTION: Penn State will flip WVU commit Rodney Gallagher

I would suspect that Allar's vast improvement from the spring game to the regular season could have a bearing here, as well.

I think Pitt leads but Saturday could definitely swing the pendulum

I would suspect that Allar's vast improvement from the spring game to the regular season could have a bearing here, as well.
Good lord I hope so. Receiver has been an issue since Chris Godwin left the program. We have made due but never once has the position really scared anyone. However, I highly doubt there is enough NIL money available for the diva position. Our best bet to get a game breaker is to find a kid like ARob or Godwin that is flying under the radar and develop him.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Good lord I hope so. Receiver has been an issue since Chris Godwin left the program. We have made due but never once has the position really scared anyone. However, I highly doubt there is enough NIL money available for the diva position. Our best bet to get a game breaker is to find a kid like ARob or Godwin that is flying under the radar and develop him.
KC's best wide receiver is actually their tight end. PSU seems to have some tight ends who are good receivers. It seems as if the staff has been running plays designed to get them the ball more than in past years, and this is a way to compensate for the lack of elite wide receivers.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Jahan Dotson was good last year. He was set to have a really good season for the Commanders before getting hurt. He's got a 12.8 YPC average with limited playing time.

Honestly, I think SC throws the worst deep ball at PSU in several years. He constantly missed wide open guys on long bombs. When he doesn't overthrow it, he throws it far to the left or right not giving the WR the ability to use his position to optimize his chance of catching the ball.

I love SC the guy. I love how he runs the offense. He is good at short and intermediate throws. But his deep throws simply suck. As a result, teams don't worry about our deep game which makes getting open on intermediate routes more difficult.

Jahan Dotson was good last year. He was set to have a really good season for the Commanders before getting hurt. He's got a 12.8 YPC average with limited playing time.

Honestly, I think SC throws the worst deep ball at PSU in several years. He constantly missed wide open guys on long bombs. When he doesn't overthrow it, he throws it far to the left or right not giving the WR the ability to use his position to optimize his chance of catching the ball.

I love SC the guy. I love how he runs the offense. He is good at short and intermediate throws. But his deep throws simply suck. As a result, teams don't worry about our deep game which makes getting open on intermediate routes more difficult.
He misses because he doesn't have the arm to make the throws MY wants him to make. He is a pass first dual threat. Always was which is why he was a day one upgrade from Trace in 2019. He immediately upgraded the position against the toughest schedule Franklin has ever coached against because he could make throws Trace couldn't while providing 85% of the running threat. MY really needs a player like Hackenberg. Allar is a close second but Hack in the offense MY wants to run with the receivers he needs would be stupid ugly for everyone they play.

He misses because he doesn't have the arm to make the throws MY wants him to make. He is a pass first dual threat. Always was which is why he was a day one upgrade from Trace in 2019. He immediately upgraded the position against the toughest schedule Franklin has ever coached against because he could make throws Trace couldn't while providing 85% of the running threat. MY really needs a player like Hackenberg. Allar is a close second but Hack in the offense MY wants to run with the receivers he needs would be stupid ugly for everyone they play.
You can have Hack all day long. He should have been called Sackenberg. He was abysmal.

Reactions: GregInPitt
If he is actually guaranteed that 500K NIL deal, I can't see how he could pass it up, nor would I blame him either. If there are a lot of strings attached, then maybe he flips to PSU.

Source? Hunch? Didn't think he'd visited anywhere since verbal to WVU. Is there a Pitt visit as well?
Some guys I know from back in that area say that it’s a possibility. I don’t know anything more than that just that they seem to think pit has a chance.

Reactions: lazydave841
Wtf. Dotson was at least as good as Godwin, if not better, and Hamler was very good as well.

Another thing he does is he falls in love and locks onto one receiver, i.e., KJ or Dotson, and would throw to them when they were double covered when other WR's were wide open.
Yep, and he has continued to do that for 4 years as PSU's starting QB.

Not to pile on, as I'm not petitioning for Franklin to bench Clifford at this point, but Clifford had as bad a day playing QB against Rutgers as any game I have seen since beginning to follow PSU football in the 1960's. I watched the BTN game in 60 on Tuesday and he threw about 3 good balls. I guess the weather was a factor, but the blowout due mainly to the defense, special teams and running game overshaddowed a pathetic passing attack mainly due to Clifford's inaccuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Wtf. Dotson was at least as good as Godwin, if not better, and Hamler was very good as well.
I have a hard time saying Dotson was better than Godwin. Dotson had some great games and he sure could catch some marginal throws, but Godwin was the master of the long 50-50 balls and turned many marginal throws into long gains or TD's.

If the 2023 PSU team had just 1 or 2 WR's as good as either of those two we could legitimately talk winning the B10 East. But there is no one like either one of them on the PSU roster right now.

I'd probably rank them:

Dotson, Godwin, Hamler

Dotson was essentially the offense for 2 seasons. Put him on the team with Saquon and Gesicki with Trace able to run the football and we might have been undefeated in '17.

Hamler dropped a lot of footballs in comparison to those 2.

We'd gladly take a replica of any of them for next year.

Reactions: LMTLION
I'd probably rank them:

Dotson, Godwin, Hamler

Dotson was essentially the offense for 2 seasons. Put him on the team with Saquon and Gesicki with Trace able to run the football and we might have been undefeated in '17.

Hamler dropped a lot of footballs in comparison to those 2.

We'd gladly take a replica of any of them for next year.
Agreed. Not taking anything away from the other 2 but Dotson was the most polished wr of the 3 and certainly the most versatile. Hamler was likely the fastest, but his hands were certainly not at the level of Dotson or Godwin.

Reactions: lazydave841
I have a hard time saying Dotson was better than Godwin. Dotson had some great games and he sure could catch some marginal throws, but Godwin was the master of the long 50-50 balls and turned many marginal throws into long gains or TD's.

If the 2023 PSU team had just 1 or 2 WR's as good as either of those two we could legitimately talk winning the B10 East. But there is no one like either one of them on the PSU roster right now.
I think in fantasy speculation a Dotson or Godwin at wr beats OSU in 2022. We are badly missing a homerun wr this season. PW is progressing to that, so maybe if he sticks around next year he will be that.

Not good for the PSU recruitment of Gallagher.
True but they’ve also had some decommits recently and some older kids hitting the transfer portal so maybe Gallagher sees some of the people he wanted to play with being gone and does the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
True but they’ve also had some dick commits recently and some older kids hitting the transfer portal so maybe Gallagher sees some of the people he wanted to play with being gone and does the same.
Yes some of the players are seeing the writing on the wall. It would be better for players to have the coaching change this year rather then have it hang over them for another year as well.

Yes some of the players are seeing the writing on the wall. It would be better for players to have the coaching change this year rather then have it hang over them for another year as well.
Ha the best part of my post was my phone changing decommits to dick commits

Reactions: Online Persona
Dotson was very, very good. Godwin was better though IMO
Either way Dotson was a great WR
If not for Trace, Dotson would be the most over-rated player of the Franklin era. He was very good but very over-rated. The fact that a 1AA corner could essentially shut him down in man coverage (along with just about every corner he faced) proves it. He does have special ability when it comes to beating the zone and he catches everything. Chris Godwin is one of the three best players of the entire Franklin era along with Gesicki and Barkley. He is nearly as good as ARob and Bryant Johnson were. Dotson is more of a poor man's Bobby Engram.

It's one thing to hit the short and intermediate pass, another to hit the long, and quite another to take what the defense gives you, short or long. I think Hack didn't have much interest in the last. I'm hoping with Allar, there will be all three from MY's offense.

If not for Trace, Dotson would be the most over-rated player of the Franklin era. He was very good but very over-rated. The fact that a 1AA corner could essentially shut him down in man coverage (along with just about every corner he faced) proves it. He does have special ability when it comes to beating the zone and he catches everything. Chris Godwin is one of the three best players of the entire Franklin era along with Gesicki and Barkley. He is nearly as good as ARob and Bryant Johnson were. Dotson is more of a poor man's Bobby Engram.
Quite the fuel for debate. Tom Brady claims Godwin has the best hands he's seen. It seemed to me Dotson caught about everything thrown his way. ARob could just dominate-where are more of those 3-star WRs? Engram and Bryant were no slouches.

“He was very good but very overrated..”

Think about that

“He was very good but very overrated..”

Think about that

Don't read anything Wally says expecting it to make sense. Everything is a backhanded compliment or a straight up diss. He writes long paragraphs, but it's always agenda driven.

And the most positive poster on the forum has spoken.

Flusher at least keeps his to one liners. He doesn't bloviate as if he's the authority on football and end any discussion with "and that's a fact" and "period, end of story".

Flusher just isn't happy. And that's OK by me.

Trace is the most overrated player in the Franklin era honestly.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Agreed. Not taking anything away from the other 2 but Dotson was the most polished wr of the 3 and certainly the most versatile. Hamler was likely the fastest, but his hands were certainly not at the level of Dotson or Godwin.
Recently bias for sure. Godwin and not close.

Trace?? Dotson?

ADVERTISEMENT