ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Fact or Fiction: Penn State will finish with a Top Five recruiting class

No chance as other big-time schools will get a few more of the higher uncommitted’s

Reactions: psualt
Part of the PSU class "ranking" is if Franklin gets more of his initial offers, and doesn't have to scramble in November and December to fill out the class. And this class seems to be mostly the staff's initial offers which I look at as a great sign, given Franklin's track record of identifying talented players before many other coaches.

Fiction. The average number of points for the number 5 class over the past 10 years is greater than 2700. PSU has 2122 today with 19 recruits so it's very unlikely they'll get above 2700 points with a 25 man class. Heck, finishing in the top 10, although likely, is not certain.

Apparently Georgia has 95 players getting NIL $$ and there is plenty more for additional recruiting this year.
I don't think PSU can get anywhere near the SEC, Ok, ND. USC, Tx, TA&M, Fla in buying top players.
This is almost a "Joke story". No chance!

We'll likely finish between 15 and 20. Not that rankings actually matter because they are heavily biased and fail to account for team needs. Franklin's best class (ranking wise) other than a couple of players, was his worst because it was the most unbalanced compared to the roster as a whole and failed to address team needs hence 2021.

Penn State needs to get more players in the Top 25/50 in the country if they want to have a Top 5 class. The class is probably going to finish in the Top 8-15 range. The only thing I am concerned about in this 2023 recruiting class is the number of players from Florida/Alabama (5 players). We know from history that it is going to be tough to hang on to these southern players until signing day, which is still 5 months away.

ADVERTISEMENT