ADVERTISEMENT

F$ck O'Neill and his crew!

Whether it was a fumble or an incomplete shotput pass is irrelevant. Why? It was not reviewed. If we are going to go over every play with a fine tooth comb to get things right, that play deserved a review if any did.

It's lack of review shows either incompetence or bias. The Haley review took 3, maybe 4 minutes and even the best angle didn't confirm anything. Both calls should have been reviewed and call stands announced.

oh no oh no oh no

terrible news, Nittany Nation

I just received word that O'Neill woke up this morning and decided to FINALLY throw a flag on Penn State for holding on the last play.

Bummer! :eek:

Reactions: Bobpsu
oh no oh no oh no

terrible news, Nittany Nation

I just received word that O'Neill woke up this morning and decided to FINALLY throw a flag on Penn State for holding on the last play.

Bummer! :eek:

You joke, but the statute of limitations for o'neill flag-throwing is 10 years. We will having this hanging over our heads until 2027.

:(

Stop. That was a good game and a good win. Don't be a pus and say it was refs. That was a good win.
It was a good game and Iowa deserves a lot of credit. That said, there is no way you can say they had definitive evidence to overturn the interception by Haley, the pass interference on Campbell was a terrible terrible call, and it sure looked like they missed a pretty blatant hold on one of Wadley's big runs

Isn't this the crew that told McGloin that we were "lucky to be playing"?

They were horrible tonight.

Why was there no review of the McSorley "fumble" (his arm was pretty clearly going forward)?

There was one PI against Campbell that was total BS.

They missed multiple holds against Iowa and called a couple of marginal holds against PSU WR (call it both ways!!!)

I'm still not sure there was enough video evidence to overturn the Haley INT.

I, too, thought his arm was going forward. And, I also could not see how they overturned that interception.

I really don't think it was a fumble. His arm went forward, and it did not appear that the ball was moving when his arm started going forward. Not sure if there was enough to overturn, but considering all of the time that is spent on nonconsequental plays, the play should have been reviewed.
Didn't Iowa hurry up and get a play off before they could review, or am I thinking of another instance?

If they would have called 2-3 holds on Iowa I would have been totally fine with how the game was called. Iowa blatantly held last night without a single call and then PSU gets called for some ticky tacky holds on three occasions. That is my biggest issue with how the game was called. The INT and the fumble don't bother me as much as the non-holds on Iowa. On one occasion Iowa ran to the outside and one of their olineman grabbed the jersey of the PSU defender, It couldn't have been more obvious that it was a hold. Typically when a defensive line dominates like last night you will see at the very least two holds called. Typical BIG officiating.

Stop. That was a good game and a good win. Don't be a pus and say it was refs. That was a good win.
PSU penalties: 8-90, IA penalties: 3-25. Dam right most of them were horrible. The refs again kept IA in the game. Watching some other games yesterday, the same pattern is obvious. How the NCAA can continue to get away with this is mind boggling. All about controlling who they want in the playoffs, and certain bowl games.

Did IA get ANY holding calls at the line? I realize calling the refs out is like calling out the NFL kneelers but something has to be done. Hell, they handed OSU their title in 2014 by not making a single holding call on their Oline dating back to the 2013 season. I was at the PSU-OSU game that year, and watched the game on DVR just to confirm. It was just a despicable display, with no remorse from the NCAA or the the you know who commentators that always coincidentally get our big games. Another matter to discuss in another post if someone likes?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...te-holding-big-ten-game-first-time-since-2013

Maybe most of us should stop watching/attending...other than PSU games??? I don't watch the NFL at all other than my teams games. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite, maybe not.

Is this a satire thread or are some of you really this nuts?
The latter.

Every bad call against PSU is analyzed in depth, with the result always being a vast right wing conspiracy against PSU. LOL

Every questionable call in our favor is conveniently ignored.

It all stems from some grossly bad calls against us at key moments in past games against OSU and, particularly, Meatchicken. Therefore, every bad or questionable call is bias and evidence of deep seated hatred of PSU by the refs. It's become a PSU tradition.

On a positive note, some of truly bad calls, regardless of why they happened, are why we now have instant replay. Behind the scenes complaints by Joe and the AD brought it about.

Whether it was a fumble or an incomplete shotput pass is irrelevant. Why? It was not reviewed. If we are going to go over every play with a fine tooth comb to get things right, that play deserved a review if any did.

It's lack of review shows either incompetence or bias. The Haley review took 3, maybe 4 minutes and even the best angle didn't confirm anything. Both calls should have been reviewed and call stands announced.

ALL plays like that one are reviewed. It is when the validity of the on-field call is not easily discernable that they stop play for more scrutiny.

ALL plays like that one are reviewed. It is when the validity of the on-field call is not easily discernable that they stop play for more scrutiny.

You are telling me that there was plenty enough evidence to stop the game and review the INT, which took the tv crew 4 minutes to find one angle that barely supported their claim of incomplete, BUT there was no possibility of an incomplete forward pass on the fumble? It's absurd. It's bias, of some sort, and should minimally been reviewed. It was a turnover. It was worth stopping the game for.

Reactions: Option Bob
As much as I despise O'Neil.....and let there be no question about that.....it was the Big 10(14) replay official that failed to stop the game on the fumble / interception play.

If the Big 10(14) office has any balls, he shouldn't be back in a replay booth this year.

That play HAS TO BE REVIEWED.....no matter how it was called on the field.....no matter which teams it involved.

Reactions: NICNEM_PSU80
If they would have called 2-3 holds on Iowa I would have been totally fine with how the game was called. Iowa blatantly held last night without a single call and then PSU gets called for some ticky tacky holds on three occasions. That is my biggest issue with how the game was called. The INT and the fumble don't bother me as much as the non-holds on Iowa. On one occasion Iowa ran to the outside and one of their olineman grabbed the jersey of the PSU defender, It couldn't have been more obvious that it was a hold. Typically when a defensive line dominates like last night you will see at the very least two holds called. Typical BIG officiating.

PSU could/should have been flagged more, as well. At the end of the game, it was hard fought walk off win for PSU.

James Franklin won his first visit to Kinnick.

Congratulations ...

PSU could/should have been flagged more, as well. At the end of the game, it was hard fought walk off win for PSU.

James Franklin won his first visit to Kinnick.

Congratulations ...

Doesn't excuse the fact that Iowa was not called for a SINGLE hold the entire game and PSU was called for three that erased big plays. That there is bullsh**. If they called holding both ways I would have had no issues with how the game was called. You can't see one team holding without seeing the other team. Sorry it doesn't work like that. This is an issue in the BIG and why the BIG struggle in bowl games where legitimate crews officiate the games.

Reactions: Sharkies
Doesn't excuse the fact that Iowa was not called for a SINGLE hold the entire game and PSU was called for three that erased big plays. That there is bullsh**. If they called holding both ways I would have had no issues with how the game was called. You can't see one team holding without seeing the other team. Sorry it doesn't work like that. This is an issue in the BIG and why the BIG struggle in bowl games where legitimate crews officiate the games.

Because if Iowa got called for holding, they only scored 7 points.

This board always assumes it is a conspiracy against PSU. Did anyone ever consider that O'Neil and his crew are just incompetent?
Except there is that "you're lucky to be playing" comment.

Last edited:
The latter.

Every bad call against PSU is analyzed in depth, with the result always being a vast right wing conspiracy against PSU. LOL

Every questionable call in our favor is conveniently ignored.

It all stems from some grossly bad calls against us at key moments in past games against OSU and, particularly, Meatchicken. Therefore, every bad or questionable call is bias and evidence of deep seated hatred of PSU by the refs. It's become a PSU tradition.

On a positive note, some of truly bad calls, regardless of why they happened, are why we now have instant replay. Behind the scenes complaints by Joe and the AD brought it about.

It all started for me when Michigan came to Beaver Stadium and the infamous "crowd is too loud" call was a penalty against Penn State. Since then, there have been too many game changing mistakes AGAINST us that make them errors within statistical norms.

Funny how the two articles below both reference Captain Khaki.

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2...story-officials-stopping-game-due-crowd-noise

"Anyway, there was a significant portion devoted to the match up with number 2 Michigan. In that segment, the players said that Michigan QB Jim Harbaugh was allowed numerous times to stop the game, because it was too loud to call the signals. The officials would step in, allow for a "discretionary time out" and then ask the crowd to be quiet. Iowa players then said Harbaugh would use the extra time to look over their defensive alignment."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...34/jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-quarterback
"Seeing a college football game held up until the crowd calmed down used to be a not-unfamiliar occurrence -- here a referee asks the PA announcer to explain the NCAA rule against excessive crowd noise, which can result in a time out penalty against the home team. Here Michigan does the same filibustering at Notre Dame in 1988, a school which last year released a campaign meant to stir fans into actually cheering."

Iowa is probably saying the same thing about the refs... there were a number of questionable spots that went in our favor, and a couple of non calls. I remember thinking we didn't get that generosity from the refs in recent years.

Exactly! too funny how you guys are complaining about the refs .... from my point of view they blew so many calls that favored PSU! The multiple spots, the non-holding calls where PSU was grabbing Iowa's jerseys, etc., etc.

i guess if they sucked both ways maybe they weren't as bad as we thought ;-)

It all started for me when Michigan came to Beaver Stadium and the infamous "crowd is too loud" call was a penalty against Penn State. Since then, there have been too many game changing mistakes AGAINST us that make them errors within statistical norms.

Funny how the two articles below both reference Captain Khaki.

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2...story-officials-stopping-game-due-crowd-noise

"Anyway, there was a significant portion devoted to the match up with number 2 Michigan. In that segment, the players said that Michigan QB Jim Harbaugh was allowed numerous times to stop the game, because it was too loud to call the signals. The officials would step in, allow for a "discretionary time out" and then ask the crowd to be quiet. Iowa players then said Harbaugh would use the extra time to look over their defensive alignment."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...34/jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-quarterback
"Seeing a college football game held up until the crowd calmed down used to be a not-unfamiliar occurrence -- here a referee asks the PA announcer to explain the NCAA rule against excessive crowd noise, which can result in a time out penalty against the home team. Here Michigan does the same filibustering at Notre Dame in 1988, a school which last year released a campaign meant to stir fans into actually cheering."

Watch Jim Harbaugh in the #1 vs. #2 game at Kinnick. "Crowd was too loud" game ...

Last edited:
Reactions: sw-lion
Don't be surprised if they show up at the OSU game...

Yeah, funny how the Big Ten "randomly" assigns crews that Penn State has had a problem with to key games. I remember back under Joe there was one crew that PSU really got screwed under . Probably Honig's group. There was a big offseason debate about them, and in the non-conference game against Miami in 1999 (iirc) that crew shows up.

Somehow, someone online showed O'Neill the photo of Joey Bosey almost tearing Hack's head off by pulling his facemask and O'Neill wrote something about how that's just boys playing ball.

Reactions: Option Bob
Yeah, funny how the Big Ten "randomly" assigns crews that Penn State has had a problem with to key games. I remember back under Joe there was one crew that PSU really got screwed under . Probably Honig's group. There was a big offseason debate about them, and in the non-conference game against Miami in 1999 (iirc) that crew shows up.

Somehow, someone online showed O'Neill the photo of Joey Bosey almost tearing Hack's head off by pulling his facemask and O'Neill wrote something about how that's just boys playing ball.
yeah ..wasn't it him or one of his crew after the Nebraska debacle 5 years ago who said , to paraphrase," you shouldn't be complaining about the call you should just be glad that you are still playing."..

Not just the 3 holding calls against PSU that erased well over 100 yards of net field position / yardage (and ZERO calls against Iowa despite multiple blatant muggings by Iowa OLs / WRs at the point of attack or cut), but 3 Defensive Pass Interference calls and ZERO on Iowa d-backs despite Iowa d-backs routinely latching onto PSU receivers jerseys at the shoulder pad and "bronco riding" them down the field all the way until the ball arrives - no flag, go figure!.....but 3 PI flags on PSU d-backs for far less contact (again, the Iowa d-backs were permitted to LATCH ON & RIDE PSU RECEIVERS ALL THE WAY DOWN THE FIELD through their entire pattern???). Complete inconsistency in calls on both sides of the ball - par for the course when PSU plays a conference game in this biased homer bush slack-jaw midwestern league.

yeah ..wasn't it him or one of his crew after the Nebraska debacle 5 years ago who said , to paraphrase," you shouldn't be complaining about the call you should just be glad that you are still playing."..
Wasn't that the same game with the.........reply issues that determined the TE? didn't break the end line plane and instead ruled it a.........fumble? Love the still shot of that play. Just a B10 ref my bad.

Saw holding both ways! Have no clue if the knee touched but SB acted like it did until the coaches started telling him to go. Then we quickly ran a play to prevent a review. Lastly, there were eight PSU men in a room. Some of the wives were PSU alum too, however, they did not voice an opinion Seven of us agreed, the DE hits the ball then Trace's arm and his arm goes forward from the momentum of the hit and the fact he was locked and loaded.

O'Neill shouldn't be working PSU games.

He and his crew were so bad in the 2014 OSU game, the Big Ten actually issued a formal apology
http://btn.com/2014/10/27/video-big-ten-responds-to-controversial-ohio-state-penn-state-calls/

Josh Moyer wrote about that, too, while mentioning bad calls from O'Neill back in 2012
http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...-penn-state-down-while-boosting-ohio-state-up

Now, there was one other really bad call in that game that wasn't mentioned by Moyer. And the Big Ten missed it, too, in their apology. But a USA Today article mentioned how a referee actually called a timeout for the Buckeyes before Ficken's game tying field goal.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ball-ohio-state-penn-state-overtime/17906521/

But guess what that article missed. The ref called the timeout (allegedly) because he saw there were 12 players on the field and Ohio State would have been penalized.

You can see the 12 men on the field for the PSU field goal kick attempt at 2:19:44

At 2:19:57 you can see Urban Meyer approaching the ref shaking his head that he didn't call the timeout. At 2:20:14 Holly Rowe explains the linesman called the timeout and that Urban didn't call it. They were standing right in front of her on the sideline. She apparently didn't notice there were 12 men on the field.

O'Neill deleted his twitter account after that 2014 game. But I saved a few of his tweets...

1znx1ck.jpg

Reactions: Bob78 and Sharkies
There were two obvious holds not called. One on Iowa (last play of 3rd quarter, the first real longer run Wadley had), but also I believe the very first or second PSU play of The Drive.

Those are the ones that stick out to me.

The fumble by McSorely, yeah, it might have needed to be reviewed, but the call was correct - arm not going forward with ball control - the TV review guy described it perfect. And the pick reversal, that too was the correct call albeit via review.

And yes, there were a couple 1st half forward progress calls that looked like PSU got. One looked to be a good half yard more.

Officiating didn't make this game close - they missed some calls, but I thought they were evened out enough to not have a bearing on the outcome. Nobody was screwed a la "Witverine style"...

No they didn't. The knee wasn't down. Not even that close.
Really? The picture doesn't even do a good job of show the pellets flying as his knee dragged (you see some black behind his knee here that looks like a shadow, but are actually pellets), need to watch the video for that. But it "wasn't even that close"?

image.png

Really? The picture doesn't even do a good job of show the pellets flying as his knee dragged (you see some black behind his knee here that looks like a shadow, but are actually pellets), need to watch the video for that. But it "wasn't even that close"?

image.png

That's not a definitive picture. I have yet to see a definitive picture that his knee was down. It was definitely close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT