ADVERTISEMENT

F.B.I. uncovers college entrance exam scam

well, for one thing they weren't able to check the box as a 'foreign' student. Where's your picture of Stanford student Chelsea?
What are you talking about?

Chelsea's IQ is probably higher than the three of theirs added together The topic was Unqualified admissions.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
that's a pretty amazing non sequitur - where did I even suggest that?

really? You stated "maybe, but I'm thinking that for every unqualified admission, there is a deserving kid somewhere who got screwed over". Pretty simple statement.

so, I'm asking a pretty simple question that since you're indignant that qualified students were left out due to this situation ... how do you feel about qualified student being left out due to foreign and minority quotas?

I really don't see my question as much of a reach.

I can't believe people are arguing about bullshit. The obvious point of this thread is Lori Loughlin as a hot piece.

8vep.gif

What's the matter with you people?

:eek:

Last edited:
really? You stated "maybe, but I'm thinking that for every unqualified admission, there is a deserving kid somewhere who got screwed over". Pretty simple statement.

so, I'm asking a pretty simple question that since you're indignant that qualified students were left out due to this situation ... how do you feel about qualified student being left out due to foreign and minority quotas?

I think it's a different topic, but you asked, so-

I believe that the dumbing down of America is our real national security crisis, so I'm in favor of educating every smart American kid before we educate any foreign kid.

Reactions: PS4814
What are you talking about?

Chelsea's IQ is probably higher than the three of theirs added together The topic was Unqualified admissions.

other than working for the Clinton Foundation, what has Chelsea done or accomplished that would lend itself to that statement?

I believe that the dumbing down of America is our real national security crisis, so I'm in favor of educating every smart American kid before we educate any foreign kid.

You're an anti-foreignite. Next, you're going to say they should have their own schools.

:eek:

Reactions: Nitt1300
other than working for the Clinton Foundation, what has Chelsea done or accomplished that would lend itself to that statement?
Smart parents usually have smart kids- so unless you think that Bubba's family connections (one step above Arkansas trailer trash) got him into Oxford and Yale Law School , it's not much of a leap to figure she is likely smarter than the three stooges.

-and there is that Oxford PhD she earned

Eh?

Graduated from Stanford with highest honors, grad school at Oxford, NYU, and Columbia University, worked at McKinsey and NYU, and currently serves on several boards. Her 712-page dissertation was titled The Global Fund: An Experiment in Global Governance at Oxford.

Smart parents usually have smart kids- so unless you think that Bubba's family connections (one step above Arkansas trailer trash) got him into Oxford and Yale Law School , it's not much of a leap to figure she is likely smarter than the three stooges.
I don't agree at all, overall. However Chealsy is a sharp person

My Gawd, did the FBI just get out of bed this morning!

Hell Plato, Socrates, et al were getting a little gratuity on the side for letting people into the Lyceum. Nothing has changed over the past 3,000 years or so.

Then the education needs to start well before the college level. Foreign students - and I don't mean the ones who are so poor they can't get through 3rd grade - are generally better prepared for the academic rigors than American kids. Part of this is the attitude Americans have regarding Education - that it's an obligation or entitlement, and not an opportunity.

Reactions: mmp121 and Nitt1300
Then the education needs to start well before the college level. Foreign students - and I don't mean the ones who are so poor they can't get through 3rd grade - are generally better prepared for the academic rigors than American kids. Part of this is the attitude Americans have regarding Education - that it's an obligation or entitlement, and not an opportunity.
agree- grade inflation and making kids "feel good about themselves" has replaced competition and letting the cream rise to the top

Reactions: mmp121
agree- grade inflation and making kids "feel good about themselves" has replaced competition and letting the cream rise to the top

If America is going to get stronger, then I hate to be the one to break the news, but it's going to have to rely on foreign brainpower. The upside is that most of the foreign brainpower comes from friendly countries, so hopefully that is a benefit.

Native born Americans are simply going to get left further and further behind.

But, the important thing is they feel good about themselves and it's not their fault.

Reactions: mmp121

This is 100 percent correct, and it starts at the top. Education should be our top priority as a nation. Teaching should be a highly-paid, highly competitive and sought after career, as it is in these countries lapping us. Meaningless for-profit colleges should be illegal, and people should be able to default on student loans, thus driving down costs and making sure everyone has skin in the game. Every single child needs access to kindergarten. We can’t bitch about our kids math scores when we don’t properly fund or prioritize their education relative to (many) other countries. We are still dining off our private universities.

I will say generation Z (post-millennials) are incredibly motivated and mature; college is as difficult to get into as its ever been, but the gap between cost and opportunity is still far too wide.

This is 100 percent correct, and it starts at the top. Education should be our top priority as a nation. Teaching should be a highly-paid, highly competitive and sought after career, as it is in these countries lapping us. Meaningless for-profit colleges should be illegal, and people should be able to default on student loans, thus driving down costs and making sure everyone has skin in the game. Every single child needs access to kindergarten. We can’t bitch about our kids math scores when we don’t properly fund or prioritize their education relative to (many) other countries. We are still dining off our private universities.

I will say generation Z (post-millennials) are incredibly motivated and mature; college is as difficult to get into as its ever been, but the gap between cost and opportunity is still far too wide.

Part of the outrageous cost is related to the wealthy. When discussing performance indicators for the economy and noticing certain consumer indices lacking despite a strong economy is that the wealthy don’t contribute in the same way as others and the things they do spend their money on - like education - increase in cost accordingly.

Reactions: AldenT
Part of the outrageous cost is related to the wealthy. When discussing performance indicators for the economy and noticing certain consumer indices lacking despite a strong economy is that the wealthy don’t contribute in the same way as others and the things they do spend their money on - like education - increase in cost accordingly.
And PSU is exhibit a of the problem. It no longer reflects the notion of a public State school and costs have gotten out of hand.

Cheap student loans don't help

"Whataboutism".

And PSU is exhibit a of the problem. It no longer reflects the notion of a public State school and costs have gotten out of hand.

Cheap student loans don't help
I'll add that my industry doesn't care about credentials. Is is a do or die industry. My wife's industry is all about credentials. First thing they want to know is what college you attended. Here in CLE, amazing they also really care if you went to Ignatius or Hathaway brown or University school.

I had an interesting conversation with my ophthalmologist at the VA hospital at my last visit. He sends his kids to private school, because he can and because he wants the best for them as we all do for our kids. But he doesn't like it, and thinks we WAY underpay teachers and under rate how important public education is, both to our economy and to our security.

I thought it was an interesting take from someone who is personally not really effected, but still concerned.

I'm a boomer- and I don't remember asking for either

Someone was giving the feel good trophies to the millennials and championing the self-esteem movement. Someone is in leadership positions in schools/universities and allowed the grade inflation problem to develop and continue. May not have been you specifically but those from your generation helped cause these problems but love blaming the younger ones in the same thought.

ADVERTISEMENT