ADVERTISEMENT

Extra Matches

PSUflyfisher

May 7, 2015
Last year we had extra matches at duals where we got to see non-starters and redshirts wrestle.
Is that expected to continue for this year? TIA

Wouldnt count on it, those were included only because they nixed all the in season tourneys were most of our second and thirds could get matches.

She's not in his weight class
Close enough! :)

66b8daa75210e10842d8b2b23a0656cb.jpg

Wouldnt count on it, those were included only because they nixed all the in season tourneys were most of our second and thirds could get matches.
They've been a thing outside of Division I for a long, long time. I'd expect them to stay in some way, shape or form. I would count on it, but not every team will utilize it, just like few in D1 utilized the option before the pandemic.

Regarding "extra" bouts, I too don't believe they will happen often.

Doesn't mean they won't happen at all. Coaches can agree before a dual to have extra's. Covid's not done, so heaven only knows when a bout or two (or more) may be helpful to a wrestler's end of year stats (and meeting criteria).

hoping that extra matches are retained in the program. Even if after the varsity dual is done. It seemed like most of our fans stayed to watch the extras, and that those were the only times some of the kids would wrestle in front of a substantial amount of home fans. You know, the "room" guys. I think they deserve it.

hoping that extra matches are retained in the program. Even if after the varsity dual is done. It seemed like most of our fans stayed to watch the extras, and that those were the only times some of the kids would wrestle in front of a substantial amount of home fans. You know, the "room" guys. I think they deserve it.
Of the many good reasons for having extra matches, giving "room" guys a chance to wrestle in front of home fans is strong enough to make me want to see it happen at all duals. It's a great extension of the gratitude that is rarely shown outside of senior day. It would also strengthen the team as a whole by giving more wrestlers live match exposure.

Of the many good reasons for having extra matches, giving "room" guys a chance to wrestle in front of home fans is strong enough to make me want to see it happen at all duals. It's a great extension of the gratitude that is rarely shown outside of senior day. It would also strengthen the team as a whole by giving more wrestlers live match exposure.
If the coaches have their way,i’d bet they would rather see these guy going to the many available opens and get 3-4 matches instead of just one.

Not ”crowd friendly” but better experience.
And hey, if you wanna go see your favorite room guy, make the day trip. Man I miss NLO.

They've been a thing outside of Division I for a long, long time. I'd expect them to stay in some way, shape or form. I would count on it, but not every team will utilize it, just like few in D1 utilized the option before the pandemic.
These used to be a fixture at home matches, but that was decades ago. They had JV bouts before many matches.

Reactions: papa_ed
Wasn’t a main driver of supply last year that there was no eligibility to lose? Would love to see them as unattached-like exhibitions, but with kids having their travel expenses picked up.

They're still in the rulebook, and aren't going away in that sense, but wouldn't expect to see too many in the Big Ten, due to conference travel rules (which were relaxed somewhat last year). You guys are more likely to see them in non-conference meets, however.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Would like to see the extra matches remain as exhibitions not counting against eligibility. Reward the room guys a taste of the bright lights. They can still go to opens as well. I suppose the travel added expense could be an issue for some programs.

Would also like to see more tri-meets, double duals, and other creative scheduling to maximize the limited number of competition dates. Would also be a good way to help the smaller programs, especially if you could get another B1G school to get on board. Get two EIWA or MAC teams (or one of each) from PA or a neighboring state. Gives each of them one match against a B1G school. Logistics could be an issue, but it could be doable.

Reactions: creamery freak
The extra duals were really a one off due to the condensed schedule and the necessity of making sure multiple wrestlers were eligible for at larges in a Covid season and the cancellation of opens.

Not sure that they are worth much to anyone except the fans who want to see more of the redshirts and backups. The coaches can simulate the experience the extra matches are worth in the room - plus the opens will be back.

If someone can give me one good reason for the extra matches this year besides you want to see Steen, Facundo or Van Ness as much as possible so you don't have to rely on Spyker's room reports, I'm all ears.

Reactions: hlstone
The extra duals were really a one off due to the condensed schedule and the necessity of making sure multiple wrestlers were eligible for at larges in a Covid season and the cancellation of opens.

Not sure that they are worth much to anyone except the fans who want to see more of the redshirts and backups. The coaches can simulate the experience the extra matches are worth in the room - plus the opens will be back.

If someone can give me one good reason for the extra matches this year besides you want to see Steen, Facundo or Van Ness as much as possible so you don't have to rely on Spyker's room reports, I'm all ears.

Because wrestling in front of a crowd is fun.

In the past we've had some injured guys get cleared late in the season -- Nick Nevills comes to mind.

Then there's a scramble to get enough matches for an at large. Often it's some open far away with 3 connecting flights and a sherpa guide to the arena, hope enough opponents register at that weight, and then hope against a bunch of no shows and MFFs.

Extra matches would enable a much easier and more certain at large qualification for those guys.

In the past we've had some injured guys get cleared late in the season -- Nick Nevills comes to mind.

Then there's a scramble to get enough matches for an at large. Often it's some open far away with 3 connecting flights and a sherpa guide to the arena, hope enough opponents register at that weight, and then hope against a bunch of no shows and MFFs.

Extra matches would enable a much easier and more certain at large qualification for those guys.
In this scenario you are looking for extra matches for a guy who is already in the starting lineup. Would require the opposing team to have brought that weight on the trip in the case of a home match or require the opposing coach's cooperation if you are away. Thinking of some of the opposing coaches in the B1G - I think you're heading to that last chance tournament in OK.

Anyway, I think most discussion around this here is centered on seeing a RS or backup.

Reactions: nitlion6
Teams have travel limits. Extra bouts, if they happen, are likely to be a visitor starter vs a home team 2nd/3rd stringer. Visa versa could happen too I guess, though the visiting team has to have a wrestler traveling that is the right weight class.

Another reason there will be fewer extras imo, is that in-season tournaments are back in full gear and it's easier to get a bunch of matches that way.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT