ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations for Penn State's success this coming season

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Expectations are very high, as they should be. Just think what expectations would be if we didn't have to play in the B1G East Division (the most difficult division in all of college football). For the past few years, we had Saquon Barkley who was the main difference maker to our success. Now that Saquon becomes the best RB in the NFL this year, all the attention goes to Trace McSorley. As good as Trace is, unless we prove we can consistently run the ball against the better defenses, Trace will be a marked man like Saquon often was. Here's hoping that Miles Sanders truly has his break out year to take a lot of the pressure off of Trace. If the OL and Miles can succeed allowing Trace to air it out again, I truly don't see us being beaten by anybody this season!

I'm just glad to be able to have high expectations for THIS season.

For many years in the past, we were looking at "this" season being a rebuilding year, but look out, because "next" season is going to be a good one! That tends to be the mindset of fans of a program that is struggling with recruiting, and/or is no longer as good as it used to be. I'm glad those days are in the past.

I'm just glad to be able to have high expectations for THIS season.

For many years in the past, we were looking at "this" season being a rebuilding year, but look out, because "next" season is going to be a good one! That tends to be the mindset of fans of a program that is struggling with recruiting, and/or is no longer as good as it used to be. I'm glad those days are in the past.
I agree! A big reason our recruiting has been great is because of this:

Expectations are very high, as they should be. Just think what expectations would be if we didn't have to play in the B1G East Division (the most difficult division in all of college football). For the past few years, we had Saquon Barkley who was the main difference maker to our success. Now that Saquon becomes the best RB in the NFL this year, all the attention goes to Trace McSorley. As good as Trace is, unless we prove we can consistently run the ball against the better defenses, Trace will be a marked man like Saquon often was. Here's hoping that Miles Sanders truly has his break out year to take a lot of the pressure off of Trace. If the OL and Miles can succeed allowing Trace to air it out again, I truly don't see us being beaten by anybody this season!
There is a huge difference between Trace and Barkley being "marked" and Trace. Trace has many more options in terms of pass or run. so, if the D brings 7 people on a pass play, only 4 are in coverage and Trace has to find the open guy (and buy time to do so). Without the defense being distracted by #26, it will be interesting to see how our offense (and Trace) perform.

I am hopeful and comfortable that Trace's extraordinary skill set in decision making, pocket presence and accuracy will make up for the loss of 26. However, one never knows until it is being done. I just know that I've seen defenses send all three linebackers at 26 on a fake handoff. I don't feel like this will happen with Sanders starting (hope to be wrong!).

There is a huge difference between Trace and Barkley being "marked" and Trace. Trace has many more options in terms of pass or run. so, if the D brings 7 people on a pass play, only 4 are in coverage and Trace has to find the open guy (and buy time to do so). Without the defense being distracted by #26, it will be interesting to see how our offense (and Trace) perform.

I am hopeful and comfortable that Trace's extraordinary skill set in decision making, pocket presence and accuracy will make up for the loss of 26. However, one never knows until it is being done. I just know that I've seen defenses send all three linebackers at 26 on a fake handoff. I don't feel like this will happen with Sanders starting (hope to be wrong!).
Exactly my concern. Last year Trace threw against 8 while 3 followed Barkley. this year he will be throwing against probably 10.

Reactions: JoeFi and Obliviax
Agreed--the fact that there won't be multiple guys who's sole responsibility is to stop the RB is definitely going to make things more difficult. It's going to be a very interesting season...can't wait for it to start. Well, can't wait for Big Ten season to start--not so much the exhibitions early on

I think our overall scoring/ PPG goes down. We were at 41 a game but I would expect 35 or so this season. The loss of Barkley / Gesicki / Hamilton will probably hurt us in red zone. I expect Sanders to move ball but some of red zone production will fall off. FGs instead of TDs. Not anything to worry about but just expect closer games. Defensively, it will be interesting. Look at close games we lost and clearly we suffered from lack of pass rush. We beat MSU and OSU with a sack or serious pressure late in the game. Just did not have it and secondary could not hold. Reid, Oruwariye, Wade, Castro Fields - that is a great mixture of experience and talent. Allen loss will hurt run support but hopefully we are in the backfield sooner. Parsons is a freak and expect Pry to line him up at DE on passing situations. Bowen return is critical in terms of athleticism and experience at LB. You also have Farmer off the edge. I think people are focused on O but I think D could lead us to 11--1..or 9-3. Schedule is so favorable.

I still think 9-3 is reasonable. Wouldn't be shocked if we won 8-11 games in the regular season. I can't see us running the table but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: JoeFi
I expect 9-3. I'll be disappointed in anything less.

3 losses would be disappointing given the way the schedule sets up. We should be (heavily) favored in every road game besides Michigan (and could be favored in that one depending how the season unfolds). Dropping multiple home games would be a disappointment. Dropping a road game to Pitt, Rutgers, Indiana or Illinois would be as well.

The schedule sets up well for us. We start the season with four scrimmages against MAC level teams. This should give us time to get our offense and defense revved up and should get lots of playing time for reserves. Then we have Ohio State and Michigan State at home with a bye week between these two games. Both tough games. Realistically we should be 1 - 1 in these games. Next is a breather against Indiana followed by Iowa at home Michigan away and Wisconsin at home. I look for us to be 2 - 1 in these three games. We finish the regular season with two patsies: Rutgers and Maryland. Thus, I predict 10 - 2. We could do better but I have to be realistic.

The way recruiting is going I think this is somewhat of a retooling year. I think we will be a lot better in 2019 with Tommy Stevens as our QB.

If we maintain our explosiveness on O, plus mix in a more consistent run game (Thanks to the Big Boys), find steady replacements for the receivers we lost, add a solid FG kicker, and devise a solid up the middle run D, we will prosper.

No sweat.

10 wins - our depth gets better and better every year, there's no going backwards. Expect TS to be in a lot more packages and for those people on the ledge, we will be FINE with Miles. I dont understand people who are second guessing this guys ability. He will be a stud in 2018.

So let’s see, no more SB so our guys will now get 1:1 coverage, way better OL play, perhaps a TE that can actually block, and still no idea for defenses to know where the ball will go. I think it’s gonna work out ok.

Reactions: BBrown
My modest expectations for 2018:
-15-0 Penn State wins National Championship;
- Trace McSorley wins the Heisman;
- New Van Halen album is released featuring John Reid on guitar;
- North Korea surrenders all nuclear weapons to James Franklin's staff

Sounds reasonable.

Reactions: Zenophile

Right at this moment and with no injuries I think 11-1 or 10-2 is very doable.
I think 9-3 or lower would be a disappointment.

Reactions: odshowtime
More than any other sport, injury is a wild card. Low end is 8 wins and if all the bad things happen to the other guys....11 wins.

3 losses would be disappointing given the way the schedule sets up. We should be (heavily) favored in every road game besides Michigan (and could be favored in that one depending how the season unfolds). Dropping multiple home games would be a disappointment. Dropping a road game to Pitt, Rutgers, Indiana or Illinois would be as well.

Losing to, say, Wisconsin & Ohio State at home, IMO, wouldn't be that disappointing if those teams live up to expectations. There's 4 games that, if we lose, is acceptable.

10 wins - our depth gets better and better every year, there's no going backwards. Expect TS to be in a lot more packages and for those people on the ledge, we will be FINE with Miles. I dont understand people who are second guessing this guys ability. He will be a stud in 2018.

There's definitely going to be years in which we win less than 10 and this is one of those years where that's definitely a possibility even though most of the tough games are at home

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
The only season "expectation" that I'd wager the mortgage money on is this:

The first game in which the score is close at the end of the first quarter (or, God forbid, PSU is behind) this Board will be an asylum :)
That is the one thing you can count on!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My prediction...The Ingame threads de-evolve (if thats even possible) at about the 6 Minute mark of the first quarter of the first game. And frankly I think I'm being optimistic.

The key to the offense is Miles, he's not Saquon but he could be Warner. With the new 4 game limit we can also use Ricky Slade & Miles to mess with defenses.
The schedule is a mountain with Iowa & Wisconsin from the west, with that said, i think we have a 10 win season, and the hope of some top teams stumbling.

Reactions: BBrown
Probably the biggest key is how much the OL improves. If they're as good as the coaches say they're going to be, meaning they can run block, then the offense will be more effective than last year. Not more explosive, but more effective in the sense of being able to control the ball and grind out a few yards at crunch time. Better ball control, just being able to grind out another 4 or 5 first downs in the 2nd half, would have really helped them against teams like Iowa and Ohio State and MSU.

One thing Barkley did last year was make it easy to put together a defensive gameplan against PSU. You had no choice. But this year defenses will be more focused on containing McSorley initially. And then after a few games, hopefully, they'll have to worry about Sanders and the new receivers.

I'm pretty confident in the pass blocking ability of this line -- they did extremely well toward the end of the year when Bates got back. And we saw flashes in the bowl game of what kind of run blocking they might be doing this year with Gonzo and Bates and McGovern all flying around. The other big test for the OL is the depth. They will probably lose some people to injuries for some games against top 10 opponents. A top 10 team has the depth to deal with the loss of a Bates -- last year PSU didn't, but maybe this year.

One thing to watch at is that McSorley does not look as comfortable as a pocket passer as he is as an improviser. This OL puts a wall around him, that may not actually help him. Hopefully they will still try to split the center of the D so that McSorley can step up because that plays to his strength.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
Probably the biggest key is how much the OL improves. If they're as good as the coaches say they're going to be, meaning they can run block, then the offense will be more effective than last year. Not more explosive, but more effective in the sense of being able to control the ball and grind out a few yards at crunch time. Better ball control, just being able to grind out another 4 or 5 first downs in the 2nd half, would have really helped them against teams like Iowa and Ohio State and MSU.

One thing Barkley did last year was make it easy to put together a defensive gameplan against PSU. You had no choice. But this year defenses will be more focused on containing McSorley initially. And then after a few games, hopefully, they'll have to worry about Sanders and the new receivers.

I'm pretty confident in the pass blocking ability of this line -- they did extremely well toward the end of the year when Bates got back. And we saw flashes in the bowl game of what kind of run blocking they might be doing this year with Gonzo and Bates and McGovern all flying around. The other big test for the OL is the depth. They will probably lose some people to injuries for some games against top 10 opponents. A top 10 team has the depth to deal with the loss of a Bates -- last year PSU didn't, but maybe this year.

One thing to watch at is that McSorley does not look as comfortable as a pocket passer as he is as an improviser. This OL puts a wall around him, that may not actually help him. Hopefully they will still try to split the center of the D so that McSorley can step up because that plays to his strength.
on the OL improvement. I hope they change their blocking schemes somewhat and help them out. IMO no need to have the TE try to trap a 333# NT. I would like to see more double teams/combo blocks and less pulling and trapping. As you point out, we do a good job in Pass Pro, I'd like to see us put our guys in the best position to be successful.

I think the bigger question mark than PSU's offense is Urban Meyer's offense under a non-running quarterback. In tough games, Meyer would run his quarterback 15-20 times or more. Gives him an extra blocker and they have had some elusive cats back there. Haskins isn't unathletic, but he isn't a "runner".

Meyer lives on these running plays. Haskins may be a better thrower, but I'll take my chances of not being gashed by a quarterback in the running game.

TIGHT/INSIDE ZONE READ
If there is one play that undergirds an Urban Meyer offense, this is it. It is a play that OSU may run in some games as often as every other play combined.
Screen%20Shot%202012-10-01%20at%208.34.31%20PM.jpg

COUNTER TREY

The playside offensive line down blocks to the inside gap. They will again combo block through the defensive linemen to the backside linebackers. The backside guard pulls and kicks out the defensive end. The backside back — whether an H-back or halfback — then leads through the hole on the playside linebacker.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-08%20at%208.32.32%20PM.jpg

Taken individually losing to Wisconsin or Ohio state is acceptable. Losing the only 4 games on the schedule against quality competition isn’t.

That's fair--you never want to go 0-4 in the "toss-up games"....especially since you may only go 7-1 in the games you're expected to win

I will be disappointed if psu loses 3 games this year they have more talent then almost everyone on their schedule
Agree..but we play tOSU, MSU, Michigan and Wiscy. tOSU has, probably, more talent on their 80 man roster. MSU, UM and Wiscy are good teams. It is hard to be confident we will go better than 50/50 when we play all four of them within seven weeks (bye week between tOSU and Sparty). The rest of the games are all comfortable win games if we play our game (pitt, Iowa and MD are the only ones that anyone could possibly predict to be tough games). So a three-loss season is very possible, although disappointing.

Reactions: psu2016
ADVERTISEMENT