ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion

based upon a great deal of downtime. Just thinking out loud. Well technically out silent since I am typing.

Interesting which one of the four do you like out of the list.

All right here we go.

I do think expansion will happen when the next TV contracts are renegotiated. Here is who I think the BIG should target

I think the Big 12 will be the conference that will be plucked so here are the teams that would fit.

Texas- Big state school, tons of history, solid academics. A homerun hit for any conference.

Oklahoma- Great tradition and name. Would fit right back into the OK vs NEB game and would bring a contender to the BIG West

The rest of the Big 12 really brings nothing to the table. Many will say Kansas but come on small population state with zero recruits with a yuck setting. OK St and Texas Tech do not bring much.

After the Big 12 it is possible that the ACC could get poached.so

UNC Chapel Hill- Great academics, brand name that matches anyone in the BIG. A populated state with tons of TV's and recruits. Not a home run like Texas but a off the wall Triple. And gets the BIG south into the sunshine states

Virginia- Same as UNC

NC State- Brings a lot to the table and could fit very well into the BIG. Would be a solid pick up

After that I guess Syracuse, Boston College just for the fact they fit with PSU , Maryland and Rutgers. Clemson and FSU will not join due to geography. After that not much left in the ACC.

Notre Dame- Slam dunk but I think now that they have made the playoff as a quasi independent they may never join a conference.

AAC has quality teams that have huge upside growth but very few woudl fit

Houston- is in Texas and is a huge state school. Solid TV Market with tons of national recruits.

Temple- Solid program but with PSU in the BIG many would not see the reason of another PA team.

After that you have Central Florida, South Florida, Memphis ECU not sure any of these schools fit.

MTN West is similar to the AAC in many ways but they do have quality teams

Colorado State- If the BIG wants to go west a little they can grab CSU. Up and down program but has had success and would get the BIG west.

Nice to see that someone has a sense of humor.
BC is solid and would add the New England TV market.

UConn sucks at football ( it gives Rutgers a rival) but is big at basketball. Also helps with NY and New England TV.

Syracuse and Pitt would be great rivalry games for us so we would no longer be unrivaled. Syracuse in particular adds another strong basketball school and both make geographical sense.

I would also be fine if we added V Tech and Va. They both fit the mold academically and have good athletic programs.

Having said all this, I don’t envision any if it happening in the forceable future as there are a lot of impediments to teams leaving their current conferences. ND has always been the outlier and they are now more or less an ACC team anyway.

I think the ACC will not get poached. They have done a good job of circling the wagons. The key, however, will be if they can get their network launched. Without it, major grumbling from the top teams.

Take Texas and Oklahoma and but them (obviously) in the West. Slide Purdon’t to the East. Hope Frost gets Nebby back on track, and you have a conference that dwarfs the SEC.

Reactions: NedFromYork
how about

Vandy
Boston College
Texas
UCF

How about this ... conference expansion is dead. The cable TV sports bubble $$ is going to hit when these contracts expire. Demographics, cord cutting, etc. will likely prove this to be true. The networks (including E$pin) aren't going to be able to afford to pay significantly more revenue (on a per school basis) when they renegotiate the renewals in the upcoming years. Certainly not enough to justify the conferences adding teams and splitting the total revenue by more mouths at the trough. The schools aren't going to agree to add more teams to their conference and take less money to do so.

Some schools may actually be forced to reduce costs such as coaching salaries, lazy rivers in the football facility, and overhead i.e. Associate Athletic Directors of (name your waste of time, effort, and expense) ... the horror of it all!!!

BC is solid and would add the New England TV market.

UConn sucks at football ( it gives Rutgers a rival) but is big at basketball. Also helps with NY and New England TV.

Syracuse and Pitt would be great rivalry games for us so we would no longer be unrivaled. Syracuse in particular adds another strong basketball school and both make geographical sense.

I would also be fine if we added V Tech and Va. They both fit the mold academically and have good athletic programs.

Having said all this, I don’t envision any if it happening in the forceable future as there are a lot of impediments to teams leaving their current conferences. ND has always been the outlier and they are now more or less an ACC team anyway.

BC would be a mistake. Just ask the folks at the ACC. They are dying to have someone take them off of their hands.

There are no compelling reasons for the other three.

Reactions: Bob78
How about this ... conference expansion is dead. The cable TV sports bubble $$ is going to hit when these contracts expire. Demographics, cord cutting, etc. will likely prove this to be true. The networks (including E$pin) aren't going to be able to afford to pay significantly more revenue (on a per school basis) when they renegotiate the renewals in the upcoming years. Certainly not enough to justify the conferences adding teams and splitting the total revenue by more mouths at the trough. The schools aren't going to agree to add more teams to their conference and take less money to do so.

Some schools may actually be forced to reduce costs such as coaching salaries, lazy rivers in the football facility, and overhead i.e. Associate Athletic Directors of (name your waste of time, effort, and expense) ... the horror of it all!!!

I agree. The bubble is in the process of bursting. People getting the power to pay only for the channels they watch is one dynamic that is changing things. Someone said BC brings the northeast market. Only if people in the northeast have to pay for a channel that BC is on whether they want it or not. Do people in the northeast actually watch BC more than other schools? I don't know for sure but I doubt it.

Reactions: nits74

The $$ may not still be as big, but networks will still pay good money for sporting events because most people prefer to watch them live. It’s the one type of programming that people don’t like to timeshift as much. When you see ESPN losing households due to cord cutting, most of them weren’t watching ESPN anyway. The key will be having games with teams that have a large alumni and national following, and games that sports fanatics in general want to watch. So I think future expansion will only happen if a conference gets a big “name” team, and the rest slink away to minor conference status.

I think conferences should retain the streaming rights (live broadcasts probably excepted), and set up either conference or school-specific streaming channels with low monthly access fees, or a la carte options. They have the core product (the teams), they can monetize it. Personally I don’t usually want to replay an entire game, but I do like watching the BTN 60 minute replays. I think there value in having access to a catalogue of games viewable that way on demand, online. Throw in popular non-revenue sports (even with basic production values) and I suspect there’s money to be made. Set up VR channels at many sporting events, and you don’t even need commentators, just plop a 360° camera down in the stands at midfield or mid court. Experience it just like those in the crowd, but with a VR headset—for a fee. There are opportunities with tech in the future for the schools to monetize.

I think you are spot on here. The conference expansion model may have already had its last hurrah. The BIG at 14 teams is unwieldy as it is--once you get too big, do you really have a conference anymore? What does Maryland share in common with Iowa? Penn State had a tenuous connection with the legacy BIG schools based on the whole Land Grant thingy, but we certainly aren't universally welcome in the conference, even to this day. This is despite Penn State enhancing the BIG's brand. Further expansion of the BIG is likely to further dilute the brand, not enhance it.

I think you are spot on here. The conference expansion model may have already had its last hurrah. The BIG at 14 teams is unwieldy as it is--once you get too big, do you really have a conference anymore? What does Maryland share in common with Iowa? Penn State had a tenuous connection with the legacy BIG schools based on the whole Land Grant thingy, but we certainly aren't universally welcome in the conference, even to this day. Further expansion of the BIG is likely to further dilute the brand, not enhance it.

I agree. Once you get too big it's more of an association than a conference. Being in a conference with schools you only play once every few years seems silly. In my ideal world a conference is nine teams, four home and four away in football each year and play all eight others both home and away in basketball. That said, we'll probably never see those conferences again.

Reactions: nits74
I think you are spot on here. The conference expansion model may have already had its last hurrah. The BIG at 14 teams is unwieldy as it is--once you get too big, do you really have a conference anymore? What does Maryland share in common with Iowa? Penn State had a tenuous connection with the legacy BIG schools based on the whole Land Grant thingy, but we certainly aren't universally welcome in the conference, even to this day. This is despite Penn State enhancing the BIG's brand. Further expansion of the BIG is likely to further dilute the brand, not enhance it.

Not so much a question of fit, but rather is adding a new member justified on economic grounds i.e. does it pay for itself and add money to the coffers of the extant members. Currently, the hurdle rate is $50+mm. I'm not sure that too many schools can breach that barrier. Texas and ND maybe.

The obligatory expansion thread is early this year. The boring off season isn't even here yet.

I agree. The bubble is in the process of bursting. People getting the power to pay only for the channels they watch is one dynamic that is changing things. Someone said BC brings the northeast market. Only if people in the northeast have to pay for a channel that BC is on whether they want it or not. Do people in the northeast actually watch BC more than other schools? I don't know for sure but I doubt it.
I think they capture the Boston TV market better than RU captured NY/NJ.

I'm genuinely curious to see TV ratings for various college football games in the northeast BC and Rutgers, etc, are "local" teams in a sense but college football is to some degree more national than that.

Does BC vs an average ACC team get ratings as good as, say, two top 25 SEC or Big Ten or Pac Ten teams? My guess would be no but maybe I'm wrong.

You've never spent much time in Boston, have you?

I don't know how into BC sports people in Boston are, I suspect not too much so but I don't really know, but I did read a few years ago that the tailgating area for BC home games is literally closed...as in, you must leave...a half hour or whatever it is before kickoff because people would just continue tailgating and not go to the game and BC was trying to force them to go to the game instead.

Boston College is a well regarded but relatively small school (only 9300 undergrads). It has a loyal following but it is small given the school's size. BC is certainly not even close to being the flagship university of the city of Boston and its metropolitan area. It has a LOT of academic competition locally. The Boston area is blessed with many universities with elite academic reputations, amongst them are Harvard, MIT, and Tufts. There are many other well regarded academic institutions in the area. So no, BC would NOT "'capture the Boston area TV market well." Not by a long shot.

Have you ever been to their stadium? I have. It's tiny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT