ADVERTISEMENT

Excessive Covid precautions

I would feel really stupid if at this point I were one of the 25,000 or so getting infected daily yet and got really sick. Yes, kids and folks that do not qualify for a vaccine are one thing, everyone else another. There are still close to a dozen people in the hospital in State College, some in their early 20s. Hospitalizations are falling but they are nowhere near zero in a daily basis. Lots of stupid people still rolling the dice when they can be vaccinated.

I went to a district track meet Friday in rural it’s a hoax country and nobody wore masks. Some of the folks I am sure were vaccinated ( particularly the grandparents ) but I bet many were not. My guess is many of them either still believe it’s a hoax or some version of herd immunity had been achieved by all us folks who have been vaccinated.

3,000 plus folks per day still being hospitalized nationwide from Covid. Yes, it’s not 30,000 or 120,000 but it certainly is still a challenge for health care to deal with. It could literally be zero but well. Hey, you know..........

About the people you claim are in Mt Nittany with C19; Read up thread regarding their chances of survival. It’s a 98.3% chance which actually makes your drive to that rural track meet more dangerous. Now, celebrate the good news and rejoin the living, mask 😷 free if you feel comfy 😆

Last edited:
I would feel really stupid if at this point I were one of the 25,000 or so getting infected daily yet and got really sick. Yes, kids and folks that do not qualify for a vaccine are one thing, everyone else another. There are still close to a dozen people in the hospital in State College, some in their early 20s. Hospitalizations are falling but they are nowhere near zero in a daily basis. Lots of stupid people still rolling the dice when they can be vaccinated.

I went to a district track meet Friday in rural it’s a hoax country and nobody wore masks. Some of the folks I am sure were vaccinated ( particularly the grandparents ) but I bet many were not. My guess is many of them either still believe it’s a hoax or some version of herd immunity had been achieved by all us folks who have been vaccinated.

3,000 plus folks per day still being hospitalized nationwide from Covid. Yes, it’s not 30,000 or 120,000 but it certainly is still a challenge for health care to deal with. It could literally be zero but well. Hey, you know..........

You've fallen into the reporting trap. Being reported as a covid hospitalization doesn't mean you went to the hospital for covid reasons. 1/3 to 1/2 of all covid hospitalizations (especially in kids) are people that went to the hospital for reason totally unrelated to covid, then incidentally tested positive during routine blood tests.

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
You've fallen into the reporting trap. Being reported as a covid hospitalization doesn't mean you went to the hospital for covid reasons. 1/3 to 1/2 of all covid hospitalizations (especially in kids) are people that went to the hospital for reason totally unrelated to covid, then incidentally tested positive during routine blood tests.
Yep....my wife has a colonoscopy on Wednesday and she has to go in tomorrow to get a Covid test....and she’s been fully vaccinated. If she tests positive, should she feel stupid?

Reactions: bison13
I think the only thing that bothered me was we had local parents here lobbying to keep schools closed and sports cancelled. The reasoning was they were not comfortable sending their kids too school and didn't want their kids to feel left out. Had a big problem with that.

Outside of that there were definitely things I found absurd that people did, but it didn't effect anyone else.

About the people you claim are in Mt Nittany with C19; Read up thread regarding their chances of survival. It’s a 98.3% chance which actually makes your drive to that rural track meet more dangerous. Now, celebrity the good news and rejoin the living, mask 😷 free if you feel comfy 😆
Dude, I am vaccinated and mask free. I have a dozen customers and friends ( age range early 30s to mid 60s ) that have done serious hospital time due to covid. One was given the 50/50 talk with the next course of therapy, etc. etc. etc. )

One, a 51 year in Great shape, slender, athletic, mom, old manager of a credit union is still after 6 weeks in the hospital trying to get her kidney and liver numbers up to normal. She is way skinnier and in shape than a slob like you and she entered the hospital back on November 17.

Another, a 55 year old, can’t climb two flights of stairs and is on Alzheimer’s drugs due to memory loss. He caught the virus in early January. He is extremely freaked out and concerned for his future.

Yes, both fall into the survival rate you mention but their lives have been dramatically altered for a long time and possibly for the rest of their lives.

Maybe some folks at the track meet caught the virus, maybe none of them did. Either way a few of those dopes that showed up unvaccinated and unmasked will catch it eventually and maybe a few of them will boot. Personally, I don’t care, if they die, they die. You don't care either.

Its not just about survival, it’s about quality of life after exposure and illness and hospitalization. Of course dumb shits like you are too self absorbed to figure that out.

Don’t choke on that Egg McMuffin you shove into your pie hole tomorrow morning.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
About the people you claim are in Mt Nittany with C19; Read up thread regarding their chances of survival. It’s a 98.3% chance which actually makes your drive to that rural track meet more dangerous. Now, celebrity the good news and rejoin the living, mask 😷 free if you feel comfy 😆
You must be driving a different car than I am if you think the drive is nearly that dangerous...I guess we look at the numbers differently, as I try to avoid things in my life that give me a 1.7% chance of dying if I can pretty easily prevent it without making a big impact to my quality of life.

Reactions: MJG-90 and tgar
Read my other post. I know a dozen folks that have done hospital time without dying that will have real issues to contend with for days, weeks, months, and years. I am friends with an executive at the hospital and trust what he has shared with me regarding the situation at Mt. Nittany. They started with a war to handle 21 patients and were taxed out at 58, still holding around a dozen. Staff is burned out, leaving, etc. etc. But hey, on a good note, some dumb shit like you isn’t a patient there so they have that going for them.

No reporting trap. Just familiar with Friends ( and no family ) so far hospitalized. The youngest, a female. 31, hospitalized with blood clots. The oldest in his late 60s.

That’s all i was discussing.

BTW, I have read a bunchof your posts, you are one stupid dumb shit. That’s not even debatable. Take care.

I think the only thing that bothered me was we had local parents here lobbying to keep schools closed and sports cancelled. The reasoning was they were not comfortable sending their kids too school and didn't want their kids to feel left out. Had a big problem with that.

Outside of that there were definitely things I found absurd that people did, but it didn't effect anyone else.

Yes, punish the healthy, well, just because.

Reactions: Gnat91 and OhHello
Read my other post. I know a dozen folks that have done hospital time without dying that will have real issues to contend with for days, weeks, months, and years. I am friends with an executive at the hospital and trust what he has shared with me regarding the situation at Mt. Nittany. They started with a war to handle 21 patients and were taxed out at 58, still holding around a dozen. Staff is burned out, leaving, etc. etc. But hey, on a good note, some dumb shit like you isn’t a patient there so they have that going for them.

No reporting trap. Just familiar with Friends ( and no family ) so far hospitalized. The youngest, a female. 31, hospitalized with blood clots. The oldest in his late 60s.

That’s all i was discussing.

BTW, I have read a bunchof your posts, you are one stupid dumb shit. That’s not even debatable. Take care.

You must be bad luck if so many people that know you had serious covid issues.

You must be bad luck if so many people that know you had serious covid issues.
Awesome response, snicker snicker. Whatever. The truth is you are one really stupid person. It’s all good. I knew your response would be representative of how little valuable information you deliver.

stay in your little echo chamber dumb ass.

For all his precautions it sounds like he's a super spreader. Statistically he's a big time outlier, but who cares about statistics. Viva le science!
I always thought you made fairly intelligent posts. LOL. If all you can do is mock someone ( and you didn’t even get the precautions part correct if you read my post ) you fall into the same category as @interrobang , another dumb ass living in his or her echo chamber.

Disappointing, sure, surprising, no.

To paraphrase your mom, If you don’t have anything intelligent to say, don’t say anything at all.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Well that was your first mistake.
All seriousness, I usually read your posts on this board and the Test board and find myself either agreeing or acknowledging you make a solid argument.

I have not seen those reports. Can you please provide a link?
Since many people have no symptoms from Covid and many people feel horrible after the vaccine, you shouldn’t have to see reports, you should be able to figure it out.

• Haha
Reactions: tgar
Since many people have no symptoms from Covid and many people feel horrible after the vaccine, you shouldn’t have to see reports, you should be able to figure it out.
Sorry tgar, I forgot you’re the king of anecdotal arguments....maybe one of your friends got Covid and didn’t lose their ability to walk, eat or breathe (but I doubt it, doesn’t fit your argument).

Sorry tgar, I forgot you’re the king of anecdotal arguments....maybe one of your friends got Covid and didn’t lose their ability to walk, eat or breathe (but I doubt it, doesn’t fit your argument).
Once again, proving you are one of the truly stupid people to post in this forum. LOL. No surprise.

Once again, proving you are one of the truly stupid people to post in this forum. LOL. No surprise.
Right....you’re the f**king moron that can’t follow a simple post. And you used LOL...proves my point.

• Haha

Here’s some basic math from a rural county.....at any given time the last 15 months(using the states numbers of positive cases) you had a 0.35% chance of running into someone with COVID. That’s 1 in 300 people. Now if you say a lot more people had it then were ever tested I would agree with you but then the death rate plummets. Either way you look at it the risks of being out in public especially outside are so small it’s ridiculous..

Aren't you the guy that was traveling out of country when the CDC was advising against it because YOU felt it was safe? I guess we all have definitions of what is a stupid and risky activity but personally I'll take a track meet given the current state of vaccinations versus traveling early this spring any day.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
Aren't you the guy that was traveling out of country when the CDC was advising against it because YOU felt it was safe? I guess we all have definitions of what is a stupid and risky activity but personally I'll take a track meet given the current state of vaccinations versus traveling early this spring any day.
I think the track meet was basically safe ( hot, 90 degrees, stagnant air but still outside ) but the bar scene later with the flyover hicks probably not so much.

During Covid I traveled via airplane domestically and recently took a trip to Heritage Bay in Antigua after getting vaccinated. I take precautions and also figure I am healthy enough to survive a bout with the virus. OTOH, I know several people who would fall in the same category ( healthier than me, certainly younger ) and will have issues for many months or years.

The track Meet was meaningless. What was the weather for the spreader event in the Rose Garden?

About the people you claim are in Mt Nittany with C19; Read up thread regarding their chances of survival. It’s a 98.3% chance which actually makes your drive to that rural track meet more dangerous. Now, celebrate the good news and rejoin the living, mask 😷 free if you feel comfy 😆
I had open heart surgery 15 years ago. The surgeon said the procedure had a 3% mortality rate. I guess he thought that would be soothing but my immediate thought was that this was going to be the most dangerous thing I had ever done in my whole life. But I had to have the surgery. I don’t know if your 1.7% mortality rate is accurate but if it is, it means that folks may be taking the greatest risk of their lives needlessly when there is an easily accessible vaccine to prevent it.

Reactions: Erial_Lion and tgar
I had open heart surgery 15 years ago. The surgeon said the procedure had a 3% mortality rate. I guess he thought that would be soothing but my immediate thought was that this was going to be the most dangerous thing I had ever done in my whole life. But I had to have the surgery. I don’t know if your 1.7% mortality rate is accurate but if it is, it means that folks may be taking the greatest risk of their lives needlessly when there is an easily accessible vaccine to prevent it.
You are making a valid point to a dumb ass who posted my driving to a track meet was more dangerous than contacting Covid.

Just to play devils advocate, the efficacy rates of the vaccine and the survival rates of contracting covid are nearly identical.

Reactions: bison13 and OhHello
All seriousness, I usually read your posts on this board and the Test board and find myself either agreeing or acknowledging you make a solid argument.

Wow, you really are a big time statistical outlier.

Just to play devils advocate, the efficacy rates of the vaccine and the survival rates of contracting covid are nearly identical.

Only sounds good if you don’t understand what you are talking about.

The case fatality rate is ~1.8% or 1800 deaths for every 100,000. If vaccine efficacy is 95% then only 5,000 of 100,000 become infected and if 1.8% of those die then you end up with 90 deaths out per 100,000. At a minimum, you’d be twenty times more like to survive with the vaccine than without. The case fatality rate in vaccinated people will also be lower than unvaccinated. Equating efficacy rates with survival rates ignores the main point of a vaccine which is that you survive because you never got the infection.

Problem is case fatality rates aren't what you shouldn't be looking at. It's infection fatality rate.

Plus to date less than 1% of the 0.01% of people that have gotten covid after being vaccinated have died. I'd say that's better than 95%

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
I'm pretty libertarian as well, but this stuff bugs the crap out of me, because of your "harm to others" comment. The overly-cautious are generally the ones demanding that liberty be taken from others. Let me provide an example...

I live in a wooded, suburban community outside of Washington DC. There are ~50 miles of paved and unpaved trails through the woods maintained by the monster HOA.
A significant # of people walk alone through the woods or ride their bikes alone on the streets with masks. Many will walk without a mask, but quickly pull their mask up within 15' of passing someone at about a 6' gap on the trail. There is not a single bit of medical efficacy in doing this.
Now, I don't care what people do, and certainly there may be a small percentage of people who are immuno-compromised and take extreme precaution, but there are far too many doing this to be limited to medical necessity.

Why it bothers me, is that the behavior of wearing masks in ridiculous circumstances is endemic of a certain broader COVID-policy view that hurts our kids and hurts society through other economic and medical repercussions.

Healthy people who wear a mask in the woods are generally the ones demanding that outdoor dining be banned, even though there is almost no transmission outdoors at all. They are the ones who say that vaccinated teachers cannot return to schools to teach healthy children who have almost zero risk of even experiencing symptoms from COVID. They are the ones who are retired or have white-collar, work from home jobs, who demand other people with minimal to almost zero risk be prevented, through the force of govt, from supporting their own families. As a liberty-minded individual, I detest the "overly cautious," not because I care what they do, but because they generally are the ones seeking to limit the liberty of others.
You are making a lot of anger-fueled assumptions here. First, you are assuming that folks the cover when approaching others are doing so out of an irrational fear for themselves. Earlier in the spring I would pull my mask up when approaching someone on a tight trail as a courtesy to the other hiker. It’s a signal that I am willing to marginally inconvenience myself to accommodate my fellow hiker. Compassion, not fear.

The leap that folks that show this courtesy are somehow also railing against outdoor dining or return-to-work for the vaccinated is just more anger. Your post is full of ‘these people generally do these things’ leaps of logic that assume the worst.

The part where you go ‘I’m a libertarian but your personal decision bugs the heck out of me’ means you’re probably not a libertarian, just addicted to being angry.

Reactions: Nitwit and tgar
Not interested in political complaints. Just wondered if you have personal knowledge of someone who, in your mind, took ridiculous efforts to avoid Covid. In my case, a neighbor would go out in the morning and use salad tongs to pick up her paper which was already wrapped in plastic. She would then leave it in her garage for 3 days before reading it. She stopped doing this after we all got vaccinated.
my first thought was to laugh. but after reading other people's posts, I do agree that everyone has their own risk tolerance and needs to govern to that. However, it was known, by June of last year, that mutation of the virus was next to impossible on surfaces like plastic or paper. This was part of the fear porn the media used to get clicks. They never reported positive news, only that they once were able to show that it was transmitted from a hard surface in a lab in Botswana in perfect conditions.

It is sad, if this woman didn't have a major league comorbidity, was so scared that she couldn't get or read her newspaper for days at a time.

Reactions: bison13
You are making a lot of anger-fueled assumptions here. First, you are assuming that folks the cover when approaching others are doing so out of an irrational fear for themselves. Earlier in the spring I would pull my mask up when approaching someone on a tight trail as a courtesy to the other hiker. It’s a signal that I am willing to marginally inconvenience myself to accommodate my fellow hiker. Compassion, not fear.

The leap that folks that show this courtesy are somehow also railing against outdoor dining or return-to-work for the vaccinated is just more anger. Your post is full of ‘these people generally do these things’ leaps of logic that assume the worst.

The part where you go ‘I’m a libertarian but your personal decision bugs the heck out of me’ means you’re probably not a libertarian, just addicted to being angry.

You misread his post.

I wish my dad’s friend that died from COVID on Thursday night had shown a rational amount of fear...but he was healthy, in his early 60s, and was an anti-mask guy that refused to get vaccinated since much of COVID was overblown.

you strike me as the type of guy who would make up a story like that just to get the upper hand in this argument— just sayin.

Now we've got one of the retards in Congress comparing mask mandates to the Holocaust - there is no end to the lunacy.
If you are looking to Congress for intelligence they jumped the shark a long time ago - there was that dope with that comment and another member saying it si inhuman to deport MS13 gang members - you can't make this sh$t up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT