ADVERTISEMENT

Excessive Covid precautions

psuaxe70

Sep 9, 2008
Not interested in political complaints. Just wondered if you have personal knowledge of someone who, in your mind, took ridiculous efforts to avoid Covid. In my case, a neighbor would go out in the morning and use salad tongs to pick up her paper which was already wrapped in plastic. She would then leave it in her garage for 3 days before reading it. She stopped doing this after we all got vaccinated.

I know a man and wife who didn't go out at all. Ordered everything including groceries online and had them delivered. Put their mail in the garage for a day before opening. I heard on the radio about a guy that wears an KN95 mask and a cloth mask over that. Has had Covid and both shots. Plans to continue wearing both mask for atleast the next 5 years.

"Excessive" is in the eye of the beholder. Why be critical of that and not of the people who took no precautions for themselves or for those around them?
I know the original poster wasn't being judgmental, but I agree with this.

If somebody wants to barricade themselves at home, that's their call. My dad has conditions that would probably doom him if he contracted COVID. He barely left the house. But now he's vaccinated and alive. And he's out and about again -- without a mask when possible. Extreme precautions up front, but now back to normal.

Sadly, a family friend who mocked people like my dad just lost her son from COVID. She's singing a very different tune now.

People need to do what works for them, so long as it doesn't harm others. But I'm pretty libertarian like that.

Last edited:
I know a man and wife who didn't go out at all. Ordered everything including groceries online and had them delivered. Put their mail in the garage for a day before opening. I heard on the radio about a guy that wears an KN95 mask and a cloth mask over that. Has had Covid and both shots. Plans to continue wearing both mask for atleast the next 5 years.
We did all of our shopping online or curbside pickup until we were vaccinated with the exception of a small gourmet market close by. Who’s to say this was excessive? I have a compromised immune system and I survived without ever contracting COVID-19 so it worked for me. There are a lot of people who unfortunately were not similarly cautious and they became ill and in some cases died. Sure I missed doing some things I enjoy doing, like eating out in restaurants, but that enjoyment was taken away just due to the additional risk those activities presented. My Dr thinks the opening up of everything could trigger another spike and advised waiting a month or so before personally returning to pre Covid life.

"Excessive" is in the eye of the beholder. Why be critical of that and not of the people who took no precautions for themselves or for those around them?

This is what we do. People will be ridiculed, endlessly. The current topic is the overly cautious.

If you would like us to ridicule the reckless, start a thread. We’ll be happy to partake.

This is what we do. People will be ridiculed, endlessly. The current topic is the overly cautious.

If you would like us to ridicule the reckless, start a thread. We’ll be happy to partake.
If you can’t laugh at yourself, make fun of other people.

We did all of our shopping online or curbside pickup until we were vaccinated with the exception of a small gourmet market close by. Who’s to say this was excessive? I have a compromised immune system and I survived without ever contracting COVID-19 so it worked for me. There are a lot of people who unfortunately were not similarly cautious and they became ill and in some cases died. Sure I missed doing some things I enjoy doing, like eating out in restaurants, but that enjoyment was taken away just due to the additional risk those activities presented. My Dr thinks the opening up of everything could trigger another spike and advised waiting a month or so before personally returning to pre Covid life.
If you’re vaccinated, what’s another month going to do?

Not interested in political complaints. Just wondered if you have personal knowledge of someone who, in your mind, took ridiculous efforts to avoid Covid. In my case, a neighbor would go out in the morning and use salad tongs to pick up her paper which was already wrapped in plastic. She would then leave it in her garage for 3 days before reading it. She stopped doing this after we all got vaccinated.
200_d.gif

People in lots of countries wear masks everyday anyway (usually in Asia where pollution can be bad). If people want to wear a mask then what's it to me?

Reactions: Nitwit and Nitt1300
I know the original poster wasn't being judgmental, but I agree with this.

If somebody wants to barricade themselves at home, that's their call. My dad has conditions that would probably doom him if he contracted COVID. He barely left the house. But now he's vaccinated and alive. And he's out and about again -- without a mask when possible. Extreme precautions up front, but now back to normal.

Sadly, a family friend who mocked people like my dad just lost her son from COVID. She's singing a very different tune now.

People need to do what works for them, so long as it doesn't harm others. But I'm pretty libertarian like that.
I'm pretty libertarian as well, but this stuff bugs the crap out of me, because of your "harm to others" comment. The overly-cautious are generally the ones demanding that liberty be taken from others. Let me provide an example...

I live in a wooded, suburban community outside of Washington DC. There are ~50 miles of paved and unpaved trails through the woods maintained by the monster HOA.
A significant # of people walk alone through the woods or ride their bikes alone on the streets with masks. Many will walk without a mask, but quickly pull their mask up within 15' of passing someone at about a 6' gap on the trail. There is not a single bit of medical efficacy in doing this.
Now, I don't care what people do, and certainly there may be a small percentage of people who are immuno-compromised and take extreme precaution, but there are far too many doing this to be limited to medical necessity.

Why it bothers me, is that the behavior of wearing masks in ridiculous circumstances is endemic of a certain broader COVID-policy view that hurts our kids and hurts society through other economic and medical repercussions.

Healthy people who wear a mask in the woods are generally the ones demanding that outdoor dining be banned, even though there is almost no transmission outdoors at all. They are the ones who say that vaccinated teachers cannot return to schools to teach healthy children who have almost zero risk of even experiencing symptoms from COVID. They are the ones who are retired or have white-collar, work from home jobs, who demand other people with minimal to almost zero risk be prevented, through the force of govt, from supporting their own families. As a liberty-minded individual, I detest the "overly cautious," not because I care what they do, but because they generally are the ones seeking to limit the liberty of others.

Why also be critical of parents who feel that the psychological impact to their children over irrational Covid fear, school closings, isolation, and suicide is equally important?

If you’re vaccinated, what’s another month going to do?
Well for one it will get us closer to the herd immunity point as more of the unvaccinated get their shots. The vaccine is not 100% effective so while the risk to vaccinated people is very small, it’s not zero. It’s still not clear whether the vaccine provides the same level of protection to those with compromised immune systems as it does to healthier people. So a month from now there will be fewer infected people who could infect vaccinated people than there are today. I don’t have a need to rush into a confined indoor space with others who are not wearing a mask so I’m fine with waiting to see how those who do so fare before adjusting my personal behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgar
Why also be critical of parents who feel that the psychological impact to their children over irrational Covid fear, school closings, isolation, and suicide is equally important?
why indeed- of course calling something "irrational" when it isn't ought to be challenged

Well for one it will get us closer to the herd immunity point as more of the unvaccinated get their shots. The vaccine is not 100% effective so while the risk to vaccinated people is very small, it’s not zero. So a month from now there will be fewer infected people who could infect vaccinated people than there are today. I don’t have a need to rush into a confined indoor space with others during the next month without a mask so I’m fine with waiting to see how those who do so fare.

I’ve read that regular booster shots will be required to maintain herd immunity. If true, how will we know without testing the population for antibody titers?

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
why indeed- of course calling something "irrational" when it isn't ought to be challenged
I wish my dad’s friend that died from COVID on Thursday night had shown a rational amount of fear...but he was healthy, in his early 60s, and was an anti-mask guy that refused to get vaccinated since much of COVID was overblown.

Reactions: demlion and tgar
I’ve read that regular booster shots will be required to maintain herd immunity. If true, how will we know without testing the population for antibody titers?

There will be booster shots available. Whether they're actually necessary or not is still TBD

I wish my dad’s friend that died from COVID on Thursday night had shown a rational amount of fear...but he was healthy, in his early 60s, and was an anti-mask guy that refused to get vaccinated since much of COVID was overblown.
Sorry to hear about your dad's friend. There has been a lot of "irrationality" about covid, but over-caution hasn't been any of it.

Reactions: sss
Since 1.7% of all C19 cases lead to death, yes indeed, he was very, very unlucky
E2A5ZvFXsAs3u7v

Reactions: wilbury
I'm pretty libertarian as well, but this stuff bugs the crap out of me, because of your "harm to others" comment. The overly-cautious are generally the ones demanding that liberty be taken from others. Let me provide an example...

I live in a wooded, suburban community outside of Washington DC. There are ~50 miles of paved and unpaved trails through the woods maintained by the monster HOA.
A significant # of people walk alone through the woods or ride their bikes alone on the streets with masks. Many will walk without a mask, but quickly pull their mask up within 15' of passing someone at about a 6' gap on the trail. There is not a single bit of medical efficacy in doing this.
Now, I don't care what people do, and certainly there may be a small percentage of people who are immuno-compromised and take extreme precaution, but there are far too many doing this to be limited to medical necessity.

Why it bothers me, is that the behavior of wearing masks in ridiculous circumstances is endemic of a certain broader COVID-policy view that hurts our kids and hurts society through other economic and medical repercussions.

Healthy people who wear a mask in the woods are generally the ones demanding that outdoor dining be banned, even though there is almost no transmission outdoors at all. They are the ones who say that vaccinated teachers cannot return to schools to teach healthy children who have almost zero risk of even experiencing symptoms from COVID. They are the ones who are retired or have white-collar, work from home jobs, who demand other people with minimal to almost zero risk be prevented, through the force of govt, from supporting their own families. As a liberty-minded individual, I detest the "overly cautious," not because I care what they do, but because they generally are the ones seeking to limit the liberty of others.
I’m sorry but you are flailing at shadows. No one is preventing vaccinated teachers from returning. The country is open and in many states has been for months. Who is taking away your liberties? No one. I work at a company in management. We asked hourly workers to take precautions, get vaccinated, basically stay healthy and come to work. What did some of them do? Nothing. They got sick. Are we supposed to welcome them back and have them infect others? F that. Liberties my a$s. How did the idea of keeping people alive become anti -American? Nonsense. Pure nonsense, 8th grade education thinking.

I’m sorry but you are flailing at shadows. No one is preventing vaccinated teachers from returning. The country is open and in many states has been for months. Who is taking away your liberties? No one. I work at a company in management. We asked hourly workers to take precautions, get vaccinated, basically stay healthy and come to work. What did some of them do? Nothing. They got sick. Are we supposed to welcome them back and have them infect others? F that. Liberties my a$s. How did the idea of keeping people alive become anti -American? Nonsense. Pure nonsense, 8th grade education thinking.

Well, the trouble with you my friend is not that you're ignorant; it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Well for one it will get us closer to the herd immunity point as more of the unvaccinated get their shots. The vaccine is not 100% effective so while the risk to vaccinated people is very small, it’s not zero. It’s still not clear whether the vaccine provides the same level of protection to those with compromised immune systems as it does to healthier people. So a month from now there will be fewer infected people who could infect vaccinated people than there are today. I don’t have a need to rush into a confined indoor space with others who are not wearing a mask so I’m fine with waiting to see how those who do so fare before adjusting my personal behavior.
But the risk for death and hospitalization is zero.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sorry to hear about your dad's friend. There has been a lot of "irrationality" about covid, but over-caution hasn't been any of it.
I would feel really stupid if at this point I were one of the 25,000 or so getting infected daily yet and got really sick. Yes, kids and folks that do not qualify for a vaccine are one thing, everyone else another. There are still close to a dozen people in the hospital in State College, some in their early 20s. Hospitalizations are falling but they are nowhere near zero in a daily basis. Lots of stupid people still rolling the dice when they can be vaccinated.

I went to a district track meet Friday in rural it’s a hoax country and nobody wore masks. Some of the folks I am sure were vaccinated ( particularly the grandparents ) but I bet many were not. My guess is many of them either still believe it’s a hoax or some version of herd immunity had been achieved by all us folks who have been vaccinated.

3,000 plus folks per day still being hospitalized nationwide from Covid. Yes, it’s not 30,000 or 120,000 but it certainly is still a challenge for health care to deal with. It could literally be zero but well. Hey, you know..........

I've seen perfectly healthy and practically zero risk children play sports with masks on. Of course, it wasn't their choice.

I know a fully vaccinated family still wiping down each grocery item with disinfectant cleaner.

For my own self, I still do grocery pickup out of sheer laziness and don’t see myself stopping because it’s too convenient.

I know a fully vaccinated family still wiping down each grocery item with disinfectant cleaner.

For my own self, I still do grocery pickup out of sheer laziness and don’t see myself stopping because it’s too convenient.
We never wiped down one grocery item after purchasing. I know some folks that still wipe down everything that needs to go into frig/freezer and everything else sits for about 48-72 hrs.

ADVERTISEMENT