ADVERTISEMENT

EURO 2020 Thread.

There was a time when I luvved you like a brudder in lawr, Antony- never fahget that.
200.gif

Now Portugal-Germany, playing in Munich. Germany puts the ball in the net, overruled because of offsides, 100% the correct call. Gnabry was clearly off and took his time getting back, didn’t make it. Lazy play cost Germany a goal. (Lion Jim is very unhappy.)

Portugal going to need a Ronaldo miracle to hang on. Too much pressure from Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
I’ve been away from the game but a friend who was born in Portugal is texting me, ranting and raving. It’s 3-1 Germany at 55’ and I’m told that two of the German goals were Portugal own goals.

Reactions: Alphabets
I’ve been away from the game but a friend who was born in Portugal is texting me, ranting and raving. It’s 3-1 Germany at 55’ and I’m told that two of the German goals were Portugal own goals.
Yep, the pressure is coming in waves. They could score 10 at this point.

Not EURO 2020, but I was watching this game on Sunday, and thought the Philadelphia Union goal by Glesnes, in stoppage time to tie the game, deserved some recognition.

Reactions: Alphabets
Ukraine 0-1 Austria at 54’. Winner gets 2nd in group and placement into the round of 16. If this match ends in a tie, both teams would be 1-1-1 and the goal differentials will be identical, as well, so things will get interesting. (No, I don’t know exactly how it would play out.) Edit: I just checked the what-ifs. “Ukraine will finish second with a win or a draw.”

Austria and Netherlands are through to the round of 16.

Russia-Denmark and Finland-Belgium are going on now, both matches scoreless at 20’. Belgium is through; Russia and Finland are fighting for 2nd. Russia holds the trump card at the moment, as a draw gets them 2nd.

Last edited:
I am watching Czech Republic 0-1 England. Winner gets 1, loser gets 2. Just now halftime. Croatia 1-0 Scotland is the other game.

England looks sharp, 60% possession with the breakdown on passes being 269-184.

Question for @Erial_Lion or @SUPERTODD

Late in the first half Kane took a shot from just inside the box with Sterling and one other English player each a clear two feet offsides. The keeper put the rebound in front of him but Sterling turned his back and walked away, didn’t even bother pretending he wasn’t offsides. (Actually, Sterling did this as soon as Kane took the kick.) Here’s my question: Who was at fault for the missed opportunity here, the two men offsides or Kane for not recognizing that the two men were closer to Emirates Stadium than they were to Wembley?

Last edited:

Late in the first half Kane took a shot from just inside the box with Sterling and one other English player each a clear two feet offsides. The keeper put the rebound in front of him but Sterling turned his back and walked away, didn’t even bother pretending he wasn’t offsides. Here’s my question: Who was at fault for the missed opportunity here, the two men offsides or Kane for not recognizing that the two men were closer to Emirates Stadium than they were to Wembley
I wasn’t watching, but from the description, it sounds like Kane was trying to score on his own...if the players weren’t impacting the shot, he can still score even with them in the offside position.

Regardless, those guys aren’t doing any good hanging offside...but if they were just finishing a run or something and Kane missed one of them, it’s understandable.

I wasn’t watching, but from the description, it sounds like Kane was trying to score on his own...if the players weren’t impacting the shot, he can still score even with them in the offside position.

Regardless, those guys aren’t doing any good hanging offside...but if they were just finishing a run or something and Kane missed one of them, it’s understandable.
Thanks. I always forget that part. The two men were right in front of the keeper so I suspect they’d have been called offsides even if Kane’s shot had gone through untouched.

I am watching Czech Republic 0-1 England. Winner gets 1, loser gets 2. Just now halftime. Croatia 1-0 Scotland is the other game.

England looks sharp, 60% possession with the breakdown on passes being 269-184.
Another mistake on my part is noted as the matches are completed. England 1, Croatia 2, Czech Republic 3, with the Czechs making the round of 16.

Late in the first half Kane took a shot from just inside the box with Sterling and one other English player each a clear two feet offsides. The keeper put the rebound in front of him but Sterling turned his back and walked away, didn’t even bother pretending he wasn’t offsides. (Actually, Sterling did this as soon as Kane took the kick.) Here’s my question: Who was at fault for the missed opportunity here, the two men offsides or Kane for not recognizing that the two men were closer to Emirates Stadium than they were to Wembley?
I wanted to watch it before answering. Sterling made the run as he was supposed to do. If he does not make the run and Kane shoots a little earlier and there is a deflection Sterling would not have gotten on it. Kane probably should have shot earlier. He is just not in top form right now.

Erial already addressed the off side rule.

Germany-Hungary was an instant classic. Germany needed a draw to advance and they score at 66' to get to 1-1. Hungary scores immediately after, not five seconds after they kick off. Germany then ties again at 86', final was 2-2. Both Hungary goals were SMH spectacular. Wow. My default rooting interest is Germany so I was pacing like a madman. (My wife spent her senior year in HS in Essen, and we have many dear German friends.)

I'll update with the complete round of 16 matchups, but for now Germany will face England in Wembley.

Germany-Hungary was an instant classic. Germany needed a draw to advance and they score at 66' to get to 1-1. Hungary scores immediately after, not five seconds after they kick off. Germany then ties again at 86', final was 2-2. Both Hungary goals were SMH spectacular. Wow. My default rooting interest is Germany so I was pacing like a madman. (My wife spent her senior year in HS in Essen, and we have many dear German friends.)

I'll update with the complete round of 16 matchups, but for now Germany will face England in Wembley.
The two late matches from that Group, both ending in 2 - 2 draws, were an entertaining rollercoaster of advancement opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT