ADVERTISEMENT

EURO 2020 Thread.

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing when I saw Saka step up... That's a lot of pressure for someone still in his teens.
Just the look is enough to know if someone’s up for it. You could see the fear in the first Italian guy who missed too.

but yeah, if you’re going to use a 19 year old, put him in the middle or something

Reactions: Alphabets
Just the look is enough to know if someone’s up for it. You could see the fear in the first Italian guy who missed too.

but yeah, if you’re going to use a 19 year old, put him in the middle or something

You don't put him in the middle because it could be over after the third miss.

Best to worst.

LdN

You don't put him in the middle because it could be over after the third miss.

Best to worst.

LdN
Over after the 3rd only if a calamity. Obviously you want your best guys to at least get a chance, but I’m never putting the greenest guy last.

We lost in state quarters and our best guy was last and never got a chance. Still sickens me. I went first - and buried it top shelf :cool:

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Already disappointed that we went Zardes over Dike...though I’d assume Duke gets plenty of run in the group stage.

Good start...dominating play. Arriola already off with a hamstring, but gives more time to young guys (which I hope is what the next month is about).

I hate that the goalies gets to deke and dance right and left all along the line - you get if both ways or none at all

not really sure I understand what you mean. The keeper doesn't control when or how the ball is kicked so any movement of theirs seems fairly reasonable to psych out the player who has control. Not to mention they are required to stay on the goal line so they are limited.

The people taking the kicks often move all around and just plain stop when they aren't supposed to. The kick is supposed to be one continuous movement.

Final, 1-0, USA over Haiti. The US hit the post in the 1st half and the 2nd half, and dominated the match, but only got the 1 goal (at the 8th minute).

I'm not sure what the ref was looking at in stoppage time. The US GK got fouled on a ball in the air, and nothing was called; Haiti nearly scored on the play as a result.

USA plays Martinique on Thursday.

Reactions: Alphabets
Pretty uneven performance, but enough to win...probably should have been 2-0 or so, but Haiti did have some chances to tie.

Now a CONCACAF die-hards game at 11, Guatemala-El Salvador...some US ties for El Salvador, as Hugo Perez coaches them, and former US Youth International (and Hugo’s nephew) Josh Perez is starting for them after switching from the US recently.

How was this not a red card?

TELEMMGLPICT000264078608_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqul3YgLXf2lEf3afmzmy4CMsMhjQ1NTEtCsUCPtiiu1g.jpeg

Grealish getting spiked in the thighs didn’t even warrant a yellow card!
Yeah forgot about that one. That was wild. Even if he was going for the ball, that was very dangerous play and at minimum warranted a warning with a yellow card.

Deciding a game on penalty shots really stinks. It’s very unnatural and not in the flow of a live game.

Proposal: after regulation if tied, play a five minute period one man down on each team, if I t’s still tied play another five minute period, removing two players off the field from each team thereby opening up the field and increasing the likelihood of scoring. Repeat for 5 min periods until there’s a sudden death goal.

Reactions: Keyser Soze 16801
Deciding a game on penalty shots really stinks. It’s very unnatural and not in the flow of a live game.

Proposal: after regulation if tied, play a five minute period one man down on each team, if I t’s still tied play another five minute period, removing two players off the field from each team thereby opening up the field and increasing the likelihood of scoring. Repeat for 5 min periods until there’s a sudden death goal.
I don't like settling a game on penalty shots either, but at least penalty shots are actually part of a normal game.

Really not a fan of completely changing the parameters of the game like your proposal or college football's overtime.

Reactions: doctornick
Now that Euro and Copa is finished, I have a few questions for the board relating to concacaf, but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.

I know the US beat Mexico in the concacaf nations league final a few months ago and realize this tournament is new. Last night, I watched a bit of the US match against Haiti in Gold Cup.

Which of these 2 tournaments would be considered the Euro/Copa equivalent for North America? Is one significantly bigger than the other? I noticed last night the US sent out a pretty watered-down lineup. It also seems odd to me that Gold Cup is played every 2 years rather than 4.

Anyway, before anyone directs me to google, I've searched this extensively, but it's still very confusing to me.

Now that Euro and Copa is finished, I have a few questions for the board relating to concacaf, but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.

I know the US beat Mexico in the concacaf nations league final a few months ago and realize this tournament is new. Last night, I watched a bit of the US match against Haiti in Gold Cup.

Which of these 2 tournaments would be considered the Euro/Copa equivalent for North America? Is one significantly bigger than the other? I noticed last night the US sent out a pretty watered-down lineup. It also seems odd to me that Gold Cup is played every 2 years rather than 4.

Anyway, before anyone directs me to google, I've searched this extensively, but it's still very confusing to me.
The Gold Cup is played every two years for purely financial reasons...it makes money, and gives all of those smaller countries a chance to play on a bigger stage. It used to be that the Gold Cup that was played the year after the World Cup would be the bigger of the two since teams sent full strength squads, and the one played the year that World Cup qualifying starts back up again (ie, this year's tournament) was more of a tournament for USA/Mexico to see younger guys and tweak lineups.

With the Nations League being new, not sure how big it'll actually turn out to be...but due to a product of the schedules of both tournaments, the Nations League became bigger this year because it was a better spot to send the full strength squads. This year's Gold Cup is running right up into preseasons for European leagues, so the timing is far from ideal...plus, we'll be looking for these guys to do a lot of traveling in the fall as World Cup qualifying is really compacted due to COVID (and this whole year has been compacted due to COVID).

Note that we aren't alone in playing the continental championship more than once every four years...South America used to go every other year, and even now they are all over the place as they played it in 2019, again in 2021, and next is 2024. Africa also plays their championship every 2 years.

Reactions: PSUoh90

Gold Cup is the equivalent of the Euro Cup/Copa America.

Nations League is something new and different. Europe (UEFA) also has a nations league.

Interestingly I was just looking at the FIFA ranking and it was interesting to find that Nations League games do not count as much as Gold Cup games in the calculations. Even though the US treated the Nations League knockouts this summer as “more important” than the Gold Cup.

Reactions: PSUoh90
When your own team doesn't qualify for the tournament I suppose you have to get your jollies somewhere.
It’s no different than for any other sport. Every day the Dallas Cowboys lose is a good day for me. Or the Lakers, the Yankees, North Carolina basketball, Tottenham in EPL, Russia or Brazil in international soccer, Michigan and Pitt in everything.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT