EURO 2020 Thread.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
Question for @Erial_Lion or @SUPERTODD

Late in the first half Kane took a shot from just inside the box with Sterling and one other English player each a clear two feet offsides. The keeper put the rebound in front of him but Sterling turned his back and walked away, didn’t even bother pretending he wasn’t offsides. (Actually, Sterling did this as soon as Kane took the kick.) Here’s my question: Who was at fault for the missed opportunity here, the two men offsides or Kane for not recognizing that the two men were closer to Emirates Stadium than they were to Wembley?

Last edited:

Erial_Lion

Nov 23, 2015

Late in the first half Kane took a shot from just inside the box with Sterling and one other English player each a clear two feet offsides. The keeper put the rebound in front of him but Sterling turned his back and walked away, didn’t even bother pretending he wasn’t offsides. Here’s my question: Who was at fault for the missed opportunity here, the two men offsides or Kane for not recognizing that the two men were closer to Emirates Stadium than they were to Wembley
I wasn’t watching, but from the description, it sounds like Kane was trying to score on his own...if the players weren’t impacting the shot, he can still score even with them in the offside position.

Regardless, those guys aren’t doing any good hanging offside...but if they were just finishing a run or something and Kane missed one of them, it’s understandable.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
I wasn’t watching, but from the description, it sounds like Kane was trying to score on his own...if the players weren’t impacting the shot, he can still score even with them in the offside position.

Regardless, those guys aren’t doing any good hanging offside...but if they were just finishing a run or something and Kane missed one of them, it’s understandable.
Thanks. I always forget that part. The two men were right in front of the keeper so I suspect they’d have been called offsides even if Kane’s shot had gone through untouched.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
I am watching Czech Republic 0-1 England. Winner gets 1, loser gets 2. Just now halftime. Croatia 1-0 Scotland is the other game.

England looks sharp, 60% possession with the breakdown on passes being 269-184.
Another mistake on my part is noted as the matches are completed. England 1, Croatia 2, Czech Republic 3, with the Czechs making the round of 16.

SUPERTODD

Dec 28, 2004

Late in the first half Kane took a shot from just inside the box with Sterling and one other English player each a clear two feet offsides. The keeper put the rebound in front of him but Sterling turned his back and walked away, didn’t even bother pretending he wasn’t offsides. (Actually, Sterling did this as soon as Kane took the kick.) Here’s my question: Who was at fault for the missed opportunity here, the two men offsides or Kane for not recognizing that the two men were closer to Emirates Stadium than they were to Wembley?
I wanted to watch it before answering. Sterling made the run as he was supposed to do. If he does not make the run and Kane shoots a little earlier and there is a deflection Sterling would not have gotten on it. Kane probably should have shot earlier. He is just not in top form right now.

Erial already addressed the off side rule.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Germany-Hungary was an instant classic. Germany needed a draw to advance and they score at 66' to get to 1-1. Hungary scores immediately after, not five seconds after they kick off. Germany then ties again at 86', final was 2-2. Both Hungary goals were SMH spectacular. Wow. My default rooting interest is Germany so I was pacing like a madman. (My wife spent her senior year in HS in Essen, and we have many dear German friends.)

I'll update with the complete round of 16 matchups, but for now Germany will face England in Wembley.

Woodpecker

May 29, 2001
Germany-Hungary was an instant classic. Germany needed a draw to advance and they score at 66' to get to 1-1. Hungary scores immediately after, not five seconds after they kick off. Germany then ties again at 86', final was 2-2. Both Hungary goals were SMH spectacular. Wow. My default rooting interest is Germany so I was pacing like a madman. (My wife spent her senior year in HS in Essen, and we have many dear German friends.)

I'll update with the complete round of 16 matchups, but for now Germany will face England in Wembley.
The two late matches from that Group, both ending in 2 - 2 draws, were an entertaining rollercoaster of advancement opportunities.

LeatherHelmets

Oct 7, 2010

Should be a great match. Go Three Lions!

IsomsPopBelly

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2019
Good to see the Chechens pick up a solid Dubya against these colorful leather wearing fake biker tough guy Dutch misters.

Nittany Ned2

Dec 16, 2005
That was a nasty challenge from behind by Portugal. They should have VAR’d it. DeBruyne was limping off at half.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
That was a nasty challenge from behind by Portugal. They should have VAR’d it. DeBruyne was limping off at half.
Yeah, I think the ref must have simply told himself that the Portugal guy got the ball. It's a miracle he didn't break DeBruyne's ankle. Also, I couldn't believe that a yellow wasn't given for pulling Lukaku's shirt on that run. Belgium 1-0 Portugal at the half.

Nittany Ned2

Dec 16, 2005
Yeah, I think the ref must have simply told himself that the Portugal guy got the ball. It's a miracle he didn't break DeBruyne's ankle. Also, I couldn't believe that a yellow wasn't given for pulling Lukaku's shirt on that run. Belgium 1-0 Portugal at the half.
It was the way he came around with his other leg and clipped DeBruyne from behind.
Now DeBruyne is out of the game.
Dirty

SUPERTODD

Dec 28, 2004
This has been a great game.

Roberto Martinez is a terrible in-game manager. Has made zero adjustments.

TangSoo

Oct 30, 2015
I really enjoy these big tournaments. But Italy - Belgium in the quarters is insanity. This remaining bracket (apparently they don't do brackets in Europe) is lopsided.

And I was rooting for Czech Republic, but always thought a red card on such a play is too severe. Give the Czechs a penalty shot and let Holland keep 11 guys on the field. That red car always seems to decide the game.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Good God. Switzerland breaks free in the box and it would have been a goal if the keeper hadn’t moved up and smothered the ball. Then France hits the crossbar at 90 + 4’. Wow. Extra time.

Last edited:

SEPATOPTEN

Aug 21, 2010
Man the Swiss put on a display of Soccer at the Euro today.

I thought it was over after Rodriguez missed that penalty and the French overwhelmed the Swiss for 20 minutes after as perfect a 55 minutes as they could play against the World Champions. The Swiss were magnificent and the French did enough to beat almost anybody but it just was a banner day for Swiss soccer.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
I was not impressed with Mmmbop for France, even before he missed the last PK. Way too many poor touches by him all game.

Alphabets

Feb 4, 2014
What a great tournament this has been. Looking forward to England v Germany at noon today!