ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN has PSU in Fiesta Bowl

PSU brings one of the largest group of travel fans and may get some input as to the opponent, and possibly the bowl itself....

So feel free to email the PSU athletic dept. with your preferences....

Psu vs West Virginia would have much more intrigue than PSU -Kentucky. But I’m hoping citrus bowl vs Kentucky so i can attend

I’ve seen 4 bowl projections from different sites...two have us in the Fiesta and two have us playing Miss St in the Outback

I’ve seen 4 bowl projections from different sites...two have us in the Fiesta and two have us playing Miss St in the Outback

I honestly have not seen one vs Miss State.

I seen Fiesta vs UCF
Fiesta vs WVU
Peach vs WVU
Citruis vs Florida
Outback vs Kentucky
Holiday vs Stanford

If you remember last year, last minute they switched us with OSU for Fiesta Cotton matchup because the bowls wanted different teams from who was just there. Fiesta won't want us again, better chance at Peach for NY6.

Reactions: PaoliLion
PSU brings one of the largest group of travel fans and may get some input as to the opponent, and possibly the bowl itself....

So feel free to email the PSU athletic dept. with your preferences....

It's in the Big Ten Bowl selection procedures that you will not go to the same bowl game in back-to-back years unless it's the Rose Bowl or a college football playoff

Any bowl projection that has us in the Outback Bowl is wrong, assuming we win the last 2 games. NY6 or citrus.

Take into account that bowl games have to have a diverse selection of five different Big Ten teams over a six-year agreement. In terms of the Citrus Bowl it may behoove them to take Northwestern being that Penn State is far more likely to be in that 6 election once again. They already have taken Michigan and Minnesota recently though I'm not sure if they fall under the current six-year window.

Citrus vs UF would be an excellent way to finish. Not impressed with them but the msm will be, so beating them down south could really help us recruiting-wise.

No interest in playing KYJ (terribly over-rated.. been saying that all year long... after they were gifted a win vs mizzou it became clear what was happening in the sec). I'd take UCF because it would (should) be high scoring fun. But we better win. Stanford? Boring and useless in terms of recruting imo. WVU... could be a great game but the matchup does not favor us imo.

First things first.. win out and win out strong.

Reactions: BBrown
Take into account that bowl games have to have a diverse selection of five different Big Ten teams over a six-year agreement. In terms of the Citrus Bowl it may behoove them to take Northwestern being that Penn State is far more likely to be in that 6 election once again. They already have taken Michigan and Minnesota recently though I'm not sure if they fall under the current six-year window.

yes, and they can enjoy the 16 NW fans that will make the trip! PSU's value is that we always get great ratings and travel well.....by that, I mean $$$$.

I'd love to see us play JoeMo and Miss State.

yes, and they can enjoy the 16 NW fans that will make the trip! PSU's value is that we always get great ratings and travel well.....by that, I mean $$$$.

I'd love to see us play JoeMo and Miss State.

Rules are rules ... there is no snark unlike your statement. So that money is like cocaine on a pussy. Useless. That's why these new rules were put in.
1) to diversify your trips to regions of the country.
2) prevent trips from becoming stale.
3) make sure teams of of lesser brand stature do not get slotted below where they should be.

We are 4th in the East currently Will the Big Ten allow its champion game participatory to drop to the Outback if they win out?

Reactions: Obliviax
Rules are rules ... there is no snark unlike your statement. So that money is like cocaine on a pussy. Useless. That's why these new rules were put in.
3) make sure teams of of lesser brand stature do not get slotted below where they should be.

We are 4th in the East currently Will the Big Ten allow its champion game participatory to drop to the Outback if they win out?
I think they absolutely would, especially if they’re 8-4 (8-5). The Outback Bowl is a pretty good fit for the quality of their team.

Like cocaine on a pussy? Useless? I’m intrigued by that saying that I have never heard before, but have no idea what that means and why it’s useless. Please enlighten us and I’m not being sarcastic.

Unequivocally they would. They want teams placed where they can and will be competitive - remember the big positives when all Big 10 teams except Michigan won their game last year? And remember the negatives of when we lost nearly all of them? The Big 10 knows that there are simply 4 teams in the East better than any in the West. And the current 4th place team in the East will get the 3rd spot which will either be NY6 or Citrus.

If everything stays the same (UM wins out and wins B1G, PSU wins-out, OSU only loses to UM, and NW only loses to UM in B1G) - it's the Citrus Bowl.

Peach has not taken a B1G team in a long time. PSU's best shot at Peach would be to end up in the top-15, UM goes to CFP, OSU to Citrus, and NW to Rose.

Things get a little dicier if OSU beats UM but neither go to the CFP, b/c UM is excluded from Citrus and Outback. Then it'd be a toss-up depending on whether UM goes to Peach Bowl. If no UM (or other B1G team) to Peach, then you're looking at UM likely going to Fiesta and a toss-up b/t PSU, MSU, and NW at either Citrus, Outback and Holiday Bowls. In that scenario, you could easily see NW to Citrus and PSU to Outback.

PSU cannot go to the Fiesta Bowl this year. Michigan cannot go to Citrus or Outback.

Michigan winning out, Northwestern losing to Minnesota this weekend (or Illinois the next), and MSU losing at Nebraska each or all help give PSU a little shove forward (not in the rankings but) in available slots.

Most likely scenario in order is: Citrus, then Outback, then Peach, then Holiday

The Peach or Fiesta must take THE highest ranked team from AA, CUSA, MAC, MW, or Sun Belt. So if Peach is that game, you could see UCF vs. PSU.
Citrus: PSU v. SEC (LSU, KY, MissSt, Auburn)
Outback: same
Holiday: PSU v. Stanford or Utah
Peach: at-large bid, unless Clemson drops from CFP

Sporting News also has PSU in the Fiesta Bowl against WVU.

This is a matchup with a lot of sex appeal that would attract a huge audience. In contrast, Brett McMurphy has Kentucky playing UCF in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last edited:
If everything stays the same (UM wins out and wins B1G, PSU wins-out, OSU only loses to UM, and NW only loses to UM in B1G) - it's the Citrus Bowl.

Peach has not taken a B1G team in a long time. PSU's best shot at Peach would be to end up in the top-15, UM goes to CFP, OSU to Citrus, and NW to Rose.

The only way that NW goes to the rose - means the BIG won't be in the playoff - NW would have to win the conference - which would give every BIG team 2 losses. In this scenario - OSU/UM winner. The loser would probably be ahead of us.

If OSU/UM don't win the conference - we are looking at Outback/Citrus.

Things get a little dicier if OSU beats UM but neither go to the CFP, b/c UM is excluded from Citrus and Outback. Then it'd be a toss-up depending on whether UM goes to Peach Bowl. If no UM (or other B1G team) to Peach, then you're looking at UM likely going to Fiesta and a toss-up b/t PSU, MSU, and NW at either Citrus, Outback and Holiday Bowls. In that scenario, you could easily see NW to Citrus and PSU to Outback.

PSU cannot go to the Fiesta Bowl this year. Michigan cannot go to Citrus or Outback.

Michigan winning out, Northwestern losing to Minnesota this weekend (or Illinois the next), and MSU losing at Nebraska each or all help give PSU a little shove forward (not in the rankings but) in available slots.

Northwestern losing any game has no bearing on us (except for the CCG). They won't be ahead of us - unless they win the conference.

Most likely scenario in order is: Citrus, then Outback, then Peach, then Holiday

The Peach or Fiesta must take THE highest ranked team from AA, CUSA, MAC, MW, or Sun Belt. So if Peach is that game, you could see UCF vs. PSU.
Citrus: PSU v. SEC (LSU, KY, MissSt, Auburn)
Outback: same
Holiday: PSU v. Stanford or Utah
Peach: at-large bid, unless Clemson drops from CFP

The best scenario is for UM/OSU to make the playoff.
The loser would then be in the Rose Bowl (as replacement).

If we are in the top 10-12 - depending on where WSU (PAC Champ) - and UCF fall - we get the peach or Fiesta. If we are below 10-12 - we will get the Citrus - I believe we get in over MSU.

The NY6 bowls are straight forward.
1-4 are in the Orange/Cotton
2-3 Are in the Orange/Cotton
Highest SEC (not in playoffs)/Highest BIG12(not in playoffs) not in Playoffs are Sugar Bowl
Highest PAC(not in playoffs)/Highest BIG(not in playoffs) are in the ROSE
UCF (or highest Non P5 is in)

Atlarges are selected BASED ON RANKING after auto selections are filled.

Right now - we should be 15.

Here are the teams in today.
Bama/Clemson/ND/Michigan - Playoff
Sugar - Georgia/Oklahoma
Rose - OSU/WSU
Atlarge - UCF/LSU/WVU/Syracuse

What we need to happen to make Altarge
OU/WVU to split (to ensure BIG12 only gets one in) - or each lose a game to anybody
Syracuse losing to ND (doubt we jump ND unless they lose 3 in a row).

If these 2 happen (which are likely) - there will be essentially 3 other teams we are competing against - UF/Texas/Iowa St (they play Texas and could jump us with a victory and can sneak into the CCG).

Ideally - having UF/Texas or Iowa St lose would be very good. Our resume might be enough to jump on (head to head opponent vs Texas) - or if Pitt wins out til clemson - that is good.

Things that would be catastrophic to our chances
1) WSU making the playoff - would guarantee to PAC teams
2) Clemson not winning the ACC CG - as that would ensure 2 ACC teams ahead of us
3) OU/WVU making the playoffs - would guarantee 2 BIG12 teams.

Texas losing would be nice - but not necessary - we may jump them due to common opponents

Reactions: MoyerJones
The best scenario is for UM/OSU to make the playoff.
The loser would then be in the Rose Bowl (as replacement).

If we are in the top 10-12 - depending on where WSU (PAC Champ) - and UCF fall - we get the peach or Fiesta. If we are below 10-12 - we will get the Citrus - I believe we get in over MSU.

The NY6 bowls are straight forward.
1-4 are in the Orange/Cotton
2-3 Are in the Orange/Cotton
Highest SEC (not in playoffs)/Highest BIG12(not in playoffs) not in Playoffs are Sugar Bowl
Highest PAC(not in playoffs)/Highest BIG(not in playoffs) are in the ROSE
UCF (or highest Non P5 is in)

Atlarges are selected BASED ON RANKING after auto selections are filled.

Right now - we should be 15.

Here are the teams in today.
Bama/Clemson/ND/Michigan - Playoff
Sugar - Georgia/Oklahoma
Rose - OSU/WSU
Atlarge - UCF/LSU/WVU/Syracuse

What we need to happen to make Altarge
OU/WVU to split (to ensure BIG12 only gets one in) - or each lose a game to anybody
Syracuse losing to ND (doubt we jump ND unless they lose 3 in a row).

If these 2 happen (which are likely) - there will be essentially 3 other teams we are competing against - UF/Texas/Iowa St (they play Texas and could jump us with a victory and can sneak into the CCG).

Ideally - having UF/Texas or Iowa St lose would be very good. Our resume might be enough to jump on (head to head opponent vs Texas) - or if Pitt wins out til clemson - that is good.

Things that would be catastrophic to our chances
1) WSU making the playoff - would guarantee to PAC teams
2) Clemson not winning the ACC CG - as that would ensure 2 ACC teams ahead of us
3) OU/WVU making the playoffs - would guarantee 2 BIG12 teams.

Texas losing would be nice - but not necessary - we may jump them due to common opponents

I agree with most of your assessment though I differ in that I think Florida is the biggest obstacle to PSU. Their comeback vs South Carolina hurt our chances a great deal. A two-loss WSU (assuming they lose to UWash and miss out on the Pac12 champ game) would also be a threat though I believe UW and WSU will cancel each other out in terms of Pac 12 NY6 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT