ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Gameday at Pitt?

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
My guess is that this game might be the favorite for hosting Gameday. There are a couple of decent conference matchups with GA vs SC and USC vs Stanford, but that's about it. Other decent non-con games this weekend include UCLA at Oklahoma (no Rosen or Mayfield), Michigan State at Arizona State (too hot) or Clemson at Texas A&M (possible).

Even though it's three weeks before OSU at PSU, and that would likely be another target, ESPN did have OSU on two weeks apart last year (at Indiana and home vs Okalhoma) - and again against us in October.

The last time Pitt hosted Gameday was in 2005 (L 42-21 to ND), with 2003 being the only other time (W 31-28 vs VaTech).

Having them there will certainly add to the excitement and start the hype early in the season for PSU.

Does anyone know where they set up Gameday in 2005?

I haven’t looked at a schedule, but it would have to be a pretty sorry slate if PSU @ Pitt is the day’s best game.
Still, I’d much prefer to see GameDay set up in the cultural center of the free world than show up at PSU.

The only other half decent game that day is USC/Stanford.

Maybe they do Gameday from the studio

They went 5-7 last year. I don't think the week 1 Albany win is going to be enough for Gameday to have interest.

Oh ya, and Clemson is at A&M.

I mean, the game is the 8PM ABC national broadcast. It isn’t necessarily a given that the 8PM ABC game is where Gameday goes, but they do often track together. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s the Gameday site.

There's a good chance Clemson at A&M is on CBS.

There's definitely some steam for Gameday to be at Pitt considering the slate.

Reactions: NedFromYork
UCLA has kelly new coach spin and Georgia sc has the espn spin and a and m has fisher as new coach spin. Toss up as i see it in

They went 5-7 last year. I don't think the week 1 Albany win is going to be enough for Gameday to have interest.

Oh ya, and Clemson is at A&M.
Agree. GameDay generally sets up at games which may have national interest. USC @ Stanford features two Top 20 teams from last year. Clemson @ A&M has two teams with large followings with recent success, more so with Clemson. Penn State @ Pitt is a Top 10 team from last year against a team which had a losing record and likely will again. My guess is GameDay will be in Palo Alto since they didn't go to any PAC school in 2017. Also, the only time they visited Stanford was way back in 2011.

If GameDay is there, just remember: they are there because of us, not because of you.

Which is again why your AD was begging daily to our AD for more games. Penn State makes this game what it is.

Yeah, I'm not going to concern myself with why they are there.

It should be a good time if they are. Heather would probably try and get the Gameday guys on campus, on Cathedral lawn. So it would be a good time and really good exposure for Pitt, and Penn State being a top team has a lot to do with that.

There must be a Pitt guy or two in the ABC Studios that thinks this is a rivalry :rolleyes:

This is not worth an 8pm game, but the beatdown we put on sPitt will be great for America to see.

We Are.

Reactions: odshowtime
My guess is GameDay will be in Palo Alto since they didn't go to any PAC school in 2017. Also, the only time they visited Stanford was way back in 2011.

Good points you make that I didn't consider, but I just can't see it being outside of College Station.

- ACC vs SEC
- Dabo vs Jimbo
- Top 5 team vs borderline Top 25
- Kyle Field (One of best game day atmospheres)

Last edited:
Pitt brings no story. I could've seen it in 2016 with James Conner making his return and the first game between the two in 16 years, but neither team was worthy at that time. Or if Pitt would've done more with their big 2016 wins other than runner up finish in the Pinstripe bowl followed by 5-7. If they're coming off a couple top 25 seasons, Gameday would have a reason to show up. There's no reason for anyone around the country to have an interest in Pitt football at this point. It's great the game is on national tv in primetime but that's because of Penn State, not Pitt.

Yeah, I'm not going to concern myself with why they are there.

It should be a good time if they are. Heather would probably try and get the Gameday guys on campus, on Cathedral lawn. So it would be a good time and really good exposure for Pitt, and Penn State being a top team has a lot to do with that.

I can't imagine they would want to put the gameday crew in the "line of fire" on Pitt's campus. I'm sure they would be near Heinz Field... but it's moot because they aren't coming.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Good points you make that I didn't consider, but I just can't see it being outside of College Station.

- ACC vs SEC
- Dabo vs Jimbo
- Top 5 team vs borderline Top 25
- Kyle Field (One of best game day atmospheres)

This...maybe Stanford/USC but this right here makes the most sense

Will this game be a another signature Yellow Out, or will there be fans in attendance?

I hope they try and do it and when they put Duzzi on the set he can listen to all of the We Are chants as he tries to speak.

My guess is that this game might be the favorite for hosting Gameday. There are a couple of decent conference matchups with GA vs SC and USC vs Stanford, but that's about it. Other decent non-con games this weekend include UCLA at Oklahoma (no Rosen or Mayfield), Michigan State at Arizona State (too hot) or Clemson at Texas A&M (possible).

Even though it's three weeks before OSU at PSU, and that would likely be another target, ESPN did have OSU on two weeks apart last year (at Indiana and home vs Okalhoma) - and again against us in October.

The last time Pitt hosted Gameday was in 2005 (L 42-21 to ND), with 2003 being the only other time (W 31-28 vs VaTech).

Having them there will certainly add to the excitement and start the hype early in the season for PSU.

Does anyone know where they set up Gameday in 2005?
Why in the world would they go to it? You have a top 10 team playing a nothing team. Away from the allure of playing Pitt with the old time fans, no one cares about this matchup USC vs Stanford would beat it by a wide margin, or even GA vs SC, IMO

ADVERTISEMENT