ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN CFB headline: "CFP also-ran Penn State gets USC"

fairfaxlion2

Oct 12, 2014
"also-ran" implies that we are losers. They literally cannot write one sentence without demonstrating their disdain for PSU.

I think PSU is "in their heads" and they cannot process that we are successful.

The ESPN sleaze machine will be in overdrive next season. We will not only have to be undefeated but every game will have to be a shutout and we will have to average 60+ points. Even then they will probably try to discredit us if we have even a single turnover.

"also-ran" implies that we are losers. They literally cannot write one sentence without demonstrating their disdain for PSU.

The ESPN sleaze machine will be in overdrive next season. We will not only have to be undefeated but every game will have to be a shutout and we will have to average 60+ points. Even then they will probably try to discredit us if we have even a single turnover.

And you wonder why the Rose Bowl bid sucks. Let Ohio State go if it's such a great a great reward.

Apparently 7 million subscribers/viewers think ESPN is an " also ran" ----cause the network lost them over the last 2 years........and the mouse is apoplectic. They are becoming irrelevant.

Reactions: psu skp
Apparently 7 million subscribers/viewers think ESPN is an " also ran" ----cause the network lost them over the last 2 years........and the mouse is apoplectic. They are becoming irrelevant.
They are going to turn into the sports version of MTV. i.e., a network that nobody watches and does not even show sports.

They had a similar type of headline on their bottom screen crawl last night when they wrote: PSU, first big ten outright title since 1994. Well, technically, that might be true, but, what, I guess, the 2005 and 2008 titles don't count because of some stupid reasoning given by our beloved big ten conference that PSU was actually co-champs those two years. It's amazing how often ESPN tries to discredit or minimize PSU's accomplishments.

I lodged the following complaint:

This is a headline that I see on ESPN: CFP also-ran Penn State gets USC. As a PSU alumni and fan, I find this headline offensive to the hundred of thousands of alumni and fans AND kids who are apart of that team...what other school would you describe in this way...Oklahoma, Michigan? I don't think so.

And you wonder why you just lost 2 million subscribers over the past year...more of that you will also be described as an also-ran.

I suggest you be a bit more objective in your coverage and description moving forward or else you will continue to lose subscribers. I get the same information from cbs sports, fox sports, etc. I am curbing my use of ESPN because of this and I know of many fans that will only watch ESPN if they have to (i.e to watch the game).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT