ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Analyst said next year will be a "special year" for Penn State football...

Spot on but not totally appreciated in the Nittany nation. Lost is the concern and manpower the opposition expended on SB on every play. That will be missing next year along with the lightening in a bottle.
All the more reason to be ecstatic that we have a 3rd year starter to lead the offense. TM just might have his best season yet now that he’s out of SB’s very long shadow.

Spot on but not totally appreciated in the Nittany nation. Lost is the concern and manpower the opposition expended on SB on every play. That will be missing next year along with the lightening in a bottle.

Did you happen to watch the Fiesta Bowl? The game where Penn State went up and down the field for 550 yards against one of the top defenses in the country...WHEN SANDERS WAS ON THE FIELD? I didn't see much difference.

Every year people are searching for why Penn State will take a step back. Here are the MGoBlog folks, who haven't let their idiocy from last off season slow them down at all.

bronxblue
MGoPoints: 53303

Yeah, PSU is going to be back to 7-8 wins a year and ugly ass offense next year is my guess. I fully expect PSU fans to turn on Franklin by early October.

Perkis-Size Me
MGoPoints: 36744

Thank god.
Penn State will be good next year but nowhere near as good without Barkley. Barkley is like Adrian Petersen. He’s a generational talent and whoever PSU has backing Barkley up is an automatic downgrade by at least 2-3 pegs.
Take those f*ckers down in what should be a prime time matchup next season.

Jordan2323
MGoPoints: 391

Mike Gesicki
Roasted us just as much as Barkley did last year and he’s gone as well. McSorely is a good qb but he’s losing some major weapons so they should take a step back for sure. Their defense takes a ton of hits to it by graduation

MGoStrength
MGoPoints: 5035

UM vs PSU in '18?
I went to college in PA so a number of my friends are PSU fans. We've been having an ongoing discussion about how our teams will fare as we finalize this season. Looking at both rosters, considering Moorehead is gone, and the game is in AA I like our chances, and not just as a fan. PSU looses Barkley, Gesicki, Hamilton, and Sneed on offense and both DTs, Cabinda, and their 4 starting DBs on defense. We lose Cole, Speight, Hill, and Poggi on offense and McCray and Hurst on defense...that's it.

UM looses way less offensive production and likely improves offensively by getting a year older in a lot of positions and by getting Peters/Patterson as our QB, bringing back both RBs, and all our TEs and WRs. Hurst will be a loss, but I still think we lose less defensiely than PSU does. If Simmons, Gross-Matos, and/or Parsons are ready they may have some rush defensively, but I have to assume their back half is not quite as good. All in all I think we bring back a lot, they lose a lot, and we get them at home. I like our chances.

Eng1980
MGoPoints: 118

Barkley Was The Key To Their Success
Barkley required a lot of attention. McSorley is good but more players on defense can stay home and cover the rest of the field with Barkley gone. This year, the offensive play calling was impressive. I think PSU drops off significantly next year (significantly means one more loss as we made their season this year). PSU loses in Ann Arbor and they fall off the map is my prediction/hope.

Arb lover
MGoPoints: 527

PSU loss in A2 and falling off the map
Unfortunately PSU basically plays Michigan last (okay they play Wisconsin after us, but Ohio State and MSU get a shot at them first). While both of those games are in Happy Valley, I can really only see them beating MSU.

Michigan was the youngest team in Div1 football this year and still managed 8 possibly 9 wins in a tough conference with 2 had QBs. They return the offense and defense pretty much intact.
Go Blue!
When have I heard this before? Oh yeah, every f'n year that Michigan has had a football team.

Reactions: Judge Smails
It's logical that we take a step back next year...very logical. Thankfully we recruit very well so it hopefully won't be as big of an impact as many think

Michigan was the youngest team in Div1 football this year and still managed 8 possibly 9 wins in a tough conference with 2 had QBs. They return the offense and defense pretty much intact.
Go Blue!

And two years ago they had the most experienced team in Div1 football, including 11 NFL players, didn't leave the state of Michigan for the first half of the season and managed to lose 3 games.

Reactions: LionJim and N&B4PSU
I think next year has the potential to be special. We'll start with one of the top QBs, offenses, and coaching staffs in the country. Believe me, 24 is going to be good at the RB position. He's not 26, but who is.

Yeah, some holes to fill on defense, but a lot of talent available, and a top-5 recruiting class doesn't hurt either.

The main problem is that the B1G itself looks to be as good or even better than this year, when it was the best conference in the country. OK, we get the Spartans and Buckeyes at home, which is a major advantage. But gosh, Wisconsin is going to be ranked in the top-10 going in next year, and they will not be an easy out, even at the Beav, especially with the game being one week after Michigan on the road.

It's hard to see us going unbeaten in the conference, but if things come together, and we can just make a critical play or two at the right time, well, one loss might be achievable, and that would definitely be special.

No matter how you cut it, it's hard not to be pretty excited about the 2018 season.

Reactions: LionJim
I appreciate that you are not hiding the fact that you are a Michigan fan behind a PSU username facade lol

best of luck next year (meaning no injuries or stuff like that) I hope you understand that I must root for your team to lose every game by multiple touchdowns
Who says hate and civility are mutually exclusive?

Did you happen to watch the Fiesta Bowl? The game where Penn State went up and down the field for 550 yards against one of the top defenses in the country...WHEN SANDERS WAS ON THE FIELD? I didn't see much difference.

I saw a sizable difference. But I also saw a Sanders that was getting more comfortable and will be much improved next year for the time he had in this game. Do I think we dominate UW with Sanders? Nope. Do I think our RB situation next year is in good hands? Yes.

I think our offense will be more balanced and Trace will be able to spread the ball around.. if Rahne has a good feel for our weapons, this offense should again be dynamic and score mid to upper 30s consistently.

UM vs
UM vs PSU in '18?
I went to college in PA so a number of my friends are PSU fans. We've been having an ongoing discussion about how our teams will fare as we finalize this season. Looking at both rosters, considering Moorehead is gone, and the game is in AA I like our chances, and not just as a fan. PSU looses Barkley, Gesicki, Hamilton, and Sneed on offense and both DTs, Cabinda, and their 4 starting DBs on defense. We lose Cole, Speight, Hill, and Poggi on offense and McCray and Hurst on defense...that's it.

UM looses way less offensive production and likely improves offensively by getting a year older in a lot of positions and by getting Peters/Patterson as our QB, bringing back both RBs, and all our TEs and WRs. Hurst will be a loss, but I still think we lose less defensiely than PSU does. If Simmons, Gross-Matos, and/or Parsons are ready they may have some rush defensively, but I have to assume their back half is not quite as good. All in all I think we bring back a lot, they lose a lot, and we get them at home. I like our chances.

Eng1980
MGoPoints: 118

Sneed's a tough loss. No way around it.

Reactions: pandaczar12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT