ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollment challenges at PA State Colleges

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
The PA State System of Higher Education released enrollment figures for the PA State Colleges. You can find articles in papers today throughout the Commonwealth that report on the info.

I'll just review the numbers, and the percent change from the fall of 2017.

1. Bloomsburg - 8,924 (-3.9%)
2. California - 7,312 (-6.1%)
3. Cheyney - 469 (-37.9%)
4. Clarion - 4,869 (-6.8%)
5. East Stroudsburg - 6,425 (-4.7%)
6. Edinboro - 4,834 (-13.3%)
7. Indiana - 11,325 (-8.0%)
8. Kutztown - 8,309 (-0.2%)
9. Lock Haven - 3,425 (-10.5%)
10. Mansfield - 1,637 (-13.7%)
11. Millersville - 7,781 (+0.4%)
12. Shippensburg - 6,408 (-2.6%)
13. Slipper Rock - 8,824 (-0.8%)
14. West Chester - 17,552 (+1.2%)

"Many of our universities continue to be challenged by the state's changing demographics, especially in Western Pennsylvania, which has seen a significant decline in the number of high school graduates in recent years," said system spokesman Kenn Marshall. "That trend is expected to continue."

The system's total enrollment peaked around 120,000 in 2010. This year the total fell below 100,000 -- the first time it was below that threshold since 2001.

The PA State System of Higher Education released enrollment figures for the PA State Colleges. You can find articles in papers today throughout the Commonwealth that report on the info.

"Many of our universities continue to be challenged by the state's changing demographics, especially in Western Pennsylvania, which has seen a significant decline in the number of high school graduates in recent years," said system spokesman Kenn Marshall. "That trend is expected to continue."

The system's total enrollment peaked around 120,000 in 2010. This year the total fell below 100,000 -- the first time it was below that threshold since 2001.
I was curious as to how your 2017/2018 figures compared with previous years and found the following article from last year's report. This represents the 8th straight year of declining enrollments.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...nt-for-7th-year-in-a-row/stories/201710180242

part declining western PA younger population, mostly pricing themselves out of the market. tough to justify the cost of college of what these places are charging for the degree that is recieved and ability to pay back the college loans. I know that West Chester has some really good programs (ie, nursing) that are known throughout the area and really are highly competitive as the degree means something so they continue to be able to hold serve. But I think the college bubble is about to burst for the smaller schools that don't have any real specialty programs that can drive students to the school.

I know the history behind Cheyney is making decision makers reluctant to close it but it's a lot of money to spend to keep open a PUBLIC university with an enrollment of 469. Maybe there could be some type of merger with Lincoln U. in an effort to keep history intact. At least administrative overhead will be eliminated.

The state needs to decide at what enrollment level is it worth keeping a given school open. Is it worth the expense to public coffers to keep open Mansfield, for example, for the sake of 1,637 students?

Reactions: Cletus11
Much like the PSU branch campus system. These schools should look to consolidate some at this time. History and such of a school is great but at point they become too much of a burden for the tax and tuition payers

Sad I got my education at one of the schools(Cal U) and I thought that they did a great job in preparing me and I was pleased with the education I received. Also in the 1990's the price was pretty good. But the truth in Western PA is a changing demographic that are killing the area, young people are moving away like myself I have lived in North Carolina for over 20 years and instead of my son or daughter attending one of these schools they are going to the UNC schools (UNC Greensboro and UNC Chapel Hill) where it is very cheap and the education is great,. I think you would hear the same story from many people on this board

I know the history behind Cheyney is making decision makers reluctant to close it but it's a lot of money to spend to keep open a PUBLIC university with an enrollment of 469. Maybe there could be some type of merger with Lincoln U. in an effort to keep history intact. At least administrative overhead will be eliminated.

The state needs to decide at what enrollment level is it worth keeping a given school open. Is it worth the expense to public coffers to keep open Mansfield, for example, for the sake of 1,637 students?

Agree.
If you are Cheyney and down to 469 students with enrollment dropping 37.9% in a year, you are in a death spiral.
Mansfield at 1637 after losing 13.7% isn't far behind. Might be time to consolidate before the students are completely burned.

part declining western PA younger population, mostly pricing themselves out of the market. tough to justify the cost of college of what these places are charging for the degree that is recieved and ability to pay back the college loans. I know that West Chester has some really good programs (ie, nursing) that are known throughout the area and really are highly competitive as the degree means something so they continue to be able to hold serve. But I think the college bubble is about to burst for the smaller schools that don't have any real specialty programs that can drive students to the school.
I don’t think your comments are entirely fair.

Yes, population is obviously changing and the PA state schools must adapt accordingly. They must take a hard look at their structure and number of locations, and also the courses of study they offer. Will some locations need to close or have a different purpose? Yes, I think that is inevitable. Closing a location may be tough since some of these campuses are located in remote areas, but something must be done with locations like Cheyney and Mansfield. For example look at Bloom, Haven and Mansfield. The physical locations are still pretty far apart, but does every campus need its own President, deans, AD’s and on and on. Why not create Northern PA state university with Bloom as the main campus, and have Haven and Mansfield as branch locations serving the local populations.

Also I understand these schools don’t always have the best reputations or standards, but many bright young kids get a chance at these schools and find great success. Not everyone can get into Smeal. Some smart kids didn’t try very hard in HS or must live at home and commute due to finances. The state schools are often their choice and help many young people better themselves.

Yes, they do need real leadership and actionable change. Merge schools, trim down and create 21st century curriculum and set these institutions up for success for another 100 years.

Price will start to become under control when the universities start putting education as their main product again. Of course, with the ease of massive student loans, they don't exactly have much incentive.

I've thought for a while that Penn State may roll some of them into their system as branch campuses. Slippery Rock for instance has a DPT program that Penn State doesn't have, but has been rumored on starting. I could see different colleges emphasizing certain area, like Slippery Rock could be a center for healthcare, with physical therapy, nursing, etc in western PA. I don't know enough about the schools to state what other schools could specialize in.

The need for higher education is greater now than ever:

*Young people with critical thinking skills that encompass the liberal arts and social sciences and natural sciences are needed now more then ever
*Complex problem solving skills are needed now more than ever
*Social and interpersonal skills are needed now more than ever
*An informed citizenry is needed now more then ever
*Young people that are equipped to deal with rapid technological change are needed now more than ever

College is a good place to get skills in there areas above. It is not the only place to get these skills.

Student debt is a problem. Too many institutions is a problem. But the services that higher education provides to society isn't a problem.

Last edited:
I can't see how brick and mortar schools will survive long term- or why they should

At one time the University was the place to hear and learn from many experts in their multiple fields. A place where information was available that only the major city libraries held. A place where one could learn an array of skills to prepare them for careers.

Today we have Youtube.

The University badge is just a very expensive stamp on a resume now.

LdN

The physical locations are still pretty far apart, but does every campus need its own President, deans, AD’s and on and on. Why not create Northern PA state university with Bloom as the main campus, and have Haven and Mansfield as branch locations serving the local populations.
That might be the best way to go. LHU already has one branch campus in Clearfield which is about the same distance from Lock Haven as Mansfield. I don't see a problem with Mansfield being a branch of LHU. There are other similar situations within PASSHE.

I don’t think your comments are entirely fair.

Yes, population is obviously changing and the PA state schools must adapt accordingly. They must take a hard look at their structure and number of locations, and also the courses of study they offer. Will some locations need to close or have a different purpose? Yes, I think that is inevitable. Closing a location may be tough since some of these campuses are located in remote areas, but something must be done with locations like Cheyney and Mansfield. For example look at Bloom, Haven and Mansfield. The physical locations are still pretty far apart, but does every campus need its own President, deans, AD’s and on and on. Why not create Northern PA state university with Bloom as the main campus, and have Haven and Mansfield as branch locations serving the local populations.

Also I understand these schools don’t always have the best reputations or standards, but many bright young kids get a chance at these schools and find great success. Not everyone can get into Smeal. Some smart kids didn’t try very hard in HS or must live at home and commute due to finances. The state schools are often their choice and help many young people better themselves.

Yes, they do need real leadership and actionable change. Merge schools, trim down and create 21st century curriculum and set these institutions up for success for another 100 years.

What did i say wrong, do you think the college tuition bubble is not going to burst? I agree with what you say, akin to a business with multiple low performing offices doing a consolidation and downsizing, happens all the time in business. But you are forgetting this is not business but education. The president and upper management of these universities are not going to voluntarily agree to merge with another school and lose their position, job, HUGE salary and pension. For what you say to happen means that many small local colleges need to combine into one larger system and then decrease their costs by having less professors, back office admin, and less upper management. But nobody is going to voluntarily sign up for that. So these smaller college president and boards will stay until the then, reaping huge $$$ the last few years as they know the college is failing so they will take all the money out in big contracts and golden parachutes, until the college ends up going out of business. Only then will the local more financially healthy college come in and buy them up and set up a branch campus if it makes sense.

I think the PA state system schools are hurting for a variety of reasons.

1. Changing demographics of PA population.
2. Growth of PSU branch campuses, especially with several of them now giving 4 yr degrees. Would you rather have a degree from PSU-Harrisburg or Shippensburg? Most would select PSU-Harrisburg. That wasn't much of an issue 25 years ago.
3. Homogenization of the state schools. 25 years ago, many of these schools had specialties. If you wanted a state school business degree, you went to a place like Shipp. If you wanted to be a teacher, you went to Slippery Rock, West Chester, or East Stroudsburg, etc. Now they have all decided to concentrate on breadth of degrees instead of having specialties. I think that has academically made them all the same, which has not been a plus.
4. 14 of them is just too many. Cheyney is a couple of miles from West Chester. I get the HBCU angle with Cheyney but with under 500 students it is time for it to merge with WCU. WCU is already running the facilities and physical plant at Cheyney. Merge the two and name one of the WCU colleges after Cheyney, make it the Cheyney College of Education at West Chester Univ. or something like that. Mansfield is ridiculously remote and down to under 2K students, just shut it down. Could do the same for Clarion or Edinboro.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: bison13
What did i say wrong, do you think the college tuition bubble is not going to burst? I agree with what you say, akin to a business with multiple low performing offices doing a consolidation and downsizing, happens all the time in business. But you are forgetting this is not business but education. The president and upper management of these universities are not going to voluntarily agree to merge with another school and lose their position, job, HUGE salary and pension. For what you say to happen means that many small local colleges need to combine into one larger system and then decrease their costs by having less professors, back office admin, and less upper management. But nobody is going to voluntarily sign up for that. So these smaller college president and boards will stay until the then, reaping huge $$$ the last few years as they know the college is failing so they will take all the money out in big contracts and golden parachutes, until the college ends up going out of business. Only then will the local more financially healthy college come in and buy them up and set up a branch campus if it makes sense.
You’re good. I think I misinterpreted something that I no longer recall.

Anyway, you’re right of course. The interesting thing is that all state universities and presidents report to the chancellor of the system. All the college presidents report to the chancellor, and an individual president only has so much power as the chancellor had gave ultimate say on the direction of each institution. I understand the unions are very strong however, and the schools have had difficulty cutting staff or reducing salaries/benefits.

This is not the case nationally where college enrollments are on the rise. Not one Pa school is on the list of top 20 colleges with increased enrollments.

The need for higher education is greater now than ever:

*Young people with critical thinking skills that encompass the liberal arts and social sciences and natural sciences are needed now more then ever
*Complex problem solving skills are needed now more than ever
*Social and interpersonal skills are needed now more than ever
*An informed citizenry is needed now more then ever
*Young people that are equipped to deal with rapid technological change are needed now more than ever

College is a good place to get skills in there areas above. It is not the only place to get these skills.

Student debt is a problem. Too many institutions is a problem. But the services that higher education provides to society isn't a problem.
Yes...and when the educators put the values of student education above getting a building named for them, we will be in a better place.

I will add some of my thoughts not they will mean too much. I undergrad at PSU, worked at one of the small private liberal arts colleges in Eastern PA and then worked and earned a Masters at West Chester.

I agree with a lot of what people are saying with regard for the need to education change and that is happening the ones in front of the change will survive, the others will not. There are approximately 30 small college private schools in Eastern PA (Look up MAC conference and the centennial conference for an easy list of schools) that doesn't even include many many others. I can tell you it is much much harder to get into West Chester undergrad than it is to gain admission into just about any of the Mac schools.

These schools like Kings, Wilkes, Widener, Del Val, Albright, Alvernia, Lycoming, Misercordia and the such are taking kids that would be Non - Qualifers for NCAA ! or 2, some of these kids make and graduate some do not. Even the ones that do leave there with Staggering debt with no better degree than the states schools. The reason the Centennial Schools left the MAC years ago is because of this fact, the unequal admission standards of the schools. These schools need enrollment, so the give big Fin Aid packages the first year but every year the cost goes up, so do they stay or transfer.

My point is that not all kids need to go to school and we have not help ourselves by pushing kids there that shouldn't be. We need kids to understand that trade schools are good and you can earn a lot of money when you leave them. Yes you will work hard but you can make more money as a plumber, then leaving one of these schools with a degree that really didn't teach you very much. Many of these kids should be FLOCKING to the state schools, get as good of a degree and pay much less with less student loans.

Also you are seeing more and more schools that are doing the PSU World Campus route or at night classes, Online classes, which the administrators will tell you this is where they make their money and keep the doors open.

Sorry to get long winded.

I can't see how brick and mortar schools will survive long term- o
If I was an employer I would not trust online degree students. I personally know several who have had other people do the work required for them. Also kids tell me you can take the tests online with your cell phone beside you looking up the answers while you take it.

Any reputable school offering online courses is going to administer tests through a moderator, such as your boss, or somebody that should be trusted. Sure, there is a higher likelihood of cheating, but nobody should be taking a test with a cellphone.

As far as others doing the work, that happens all the time at traditional schools. Nothing you can really do about that.

Me: undergrad in Psych at University Park (first two years at Altoona campus), Masters from Temple and been teaching at Harrisburg Area CC for 20 years. I also sit on top of a sizable education endowment to assist a very select group of young people to get 'higher education.'

All of that considered, I've been seeing a few things lately:

1. My classes at HACC were maxed out at 35 per class (yeah, a TON of work for a prof), with more students requesting over rides, just 10 years ago. This semester I'm averaging 18 per class. Half the work for me due to half the students.
2. BTW, I'm getting paid more now with half the students. Hmmm?
3. The people coming to me asking for assistance from the endowed funds has changed significantly from colleges to trade schools. Meaning, just five years ago I had 6/7 requests for funds to help people get a college degree per semester, with maybe 1/2 requests for a trade. Lately, reversed 100%.

Brick and mortar schools (even public schools) will continue to just go away. Face it...if I could work from home I would literally never have to leave my house. I could go to cyber high school, take college classes on line, order all of my food to be delivered, shop for virtually everything else on line and have it delivered to my home, and even see my doctor on line.

Mansfield and LVC are not a part of anyone's future for much longer.

Many it’s just me,

but wasn’t higher level public education originally set up to provide skilled workers that were needed to supply bodies for essential careers i.e. teachers for public schools the State needed.

The State made a large investment in both the students and the facilities to provide this opportunity to middle class qualified kids. What happened is that suddenly the idea that these schools should show a profit was entered into the equation by the politicians. The banks that made the loans wanted the same profit from student loans as they got from business clients,faculty wanted to have benefits and compensation at the same level that their peers in private schools were making (even though they didn’t have the advanced degrees or recognition required by the private schools at that time,administrators jumped on the same bandwagon).

The State corruption reduced the desire to continue the high State contribution and the downward spiral began.

Just my opinion,not a reflection on the quality of the education offered.

Sad I got my education at one of the schools(Cal U) and I thought that they did a great job in preparing me and I was pleased with the education I received. Also in the 1990's the price was pretty good. But the truth in Western PA is a changing demographic that are killing the area, young people are moving away like myself I have lived in North Carolina for over 20 years and instead of my son or daughter attending one of these schools they are going to the UNC schools (UNC Greensboro and UNC Chapel Hill) where it is very cheap and the education is great,. I think you would hear the same story from many people on this board

Sammyk,
I agree, I felt pretty good about my Harvard Mon River Campus Education as well. Served me pretty well. In the Late 90’s you almost had to leave to get a decent job. I had offers from Texas, California, Florida, Maryland, but absolutely zippo in the Keystone State. The Mines & Mills were dying off, the remaining jobs were all held by guys my dad’s age and at the time they were no where near retirement. Sammyk, Did you happen to have spent many hours at the “Greene County” section in the Cal U student Union? If so I used to enjoy when El Poncho had story time.

Reactions: bison13 and sammyk
Along with healthcare delivery, I think we need to re-think the entire educational system in this country- costs are out of control, and results are hardly stellar
It's a cliche to talk about poor results without diving deeper into the subject. Educational results have a direct correlation with the quality of parenting in the home. Educators do tremendous things with students whose parents who teach their children to be respectful and are understanding of the importance of education.

Hopefully, the degree they earn teaches them “I” before “E” except after “C”.

These schools always served a great purpose. today, not so much. You have to have the best 'name school' on your resume. If that isn't Harvard/Yale/Princeton, you hope that it is ND/NW/Michigan/BC. If not those, its PSU/tOSU/MSU. Failing all that, it is Edinboro/Cal(PA)/IndianaPA. It cost about $25k per year to go to Edinboro, $36k to go to PSU. The name "PSU" means so much more than Edinboro. So what do you do? You get a readily available student loan and graduate with a big debt.

The next mistake you can make is to get a major outside the STEM's. Art Appreciation, Elementary Education, Music, CSI, etc. are all problematic in terms of getting a good job out of college. Combine a degree from a lesser school with a liberal arts degree plus a student loan debt of $100k and you've got a big problem.

Schools need to provide better guidance. Kutztown, et all, need to carve our a niche and sell themselves. They need to provide majors in the STEM areas and quit graduating kids in Ele-Ed to get the revenue that they pay into a troublesome major; which ultimately damages the school's reputation and value. Its a new day. Professors have a tendency to think they are above it all. They are not. Time to put away the "be nice" and work on helping kids get decent jobs.

The next mistake you can make is to get a major outside the STEM's. Art Appreciation, Elementary Education, Music, CSI, etc. are all problematic in terms of getting a good job out of college. Combine a degree from a lesser school with a liberal arts degree plus a student loan debt of $100k and you've got a big problem.

Schools need to provide better guidance. Kutztown, et all, need to carve our a niche and sell themselves. They need to provide majors in the STEM areas and quit graduating kids in Ele-Ed to get the revenue that they pay into a troublesome major; which ultimately damages the school's reputation and value. Its a new day. Professors have a tendency to think they are above it all. They are not. Time to put away the "be nice" and work on helping kids get decent jobs.

That's actually inaccurate. Elementary Ed at Kutztown is offered as either Pre-K - Grade 4, or Grades 4-8. And unlike just a decade ago, PA colleges are not graduating 4-5X as many individuals with teaching certificates as there are needs. Students (and their parents) reacted to the glut of teacher graduates that could not get jobs, and the numbers of students graduating from Kutztown, and all other PA colleges, with education degrees is way down. In parallel, a large number of baby boomers in teaching have been reaching retirement age in recent years, so that there is a pretty much a balance right now between graduates and openings.

That doesn't mean that every graduate gets hired as a new teacher. There are shortages of teachers applying for jobs in rural PA areas, and large urban area, and a surplus of applicants in suburban areas.

And FWIW, at Kutztown Elementary Education majors make up a very small percentage of recent graduates.

As to student debt, it's pretty difficult to amass $100k in student loan debt from Kutztown. If you had started this fall semester, and were a PA resident, tuition, room & board, and fees would cost $10,880 per semester. About the only way to amass $100k in student loan debt from Kutztown would be to change majors in your junior or senior year, and take 5-6 years to complete your degree.

It's a cliche to talk about poor results without diving deeper into the subject. Educational results have a direct correlation with the quality of parenting in the home. Educators do tremendous things with students whose parents who teach their children to be respectful and are understanding of the importance of education.
It was simply a statement of fact- I wasn't trying to diagnose the problem, merely stating that it exists.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Where do we start:
1. Increased competition from universities throughout the country via online education.
2. Fewer high school graduates from PA (95,000 college-bound in 2010 with 83,500 in 2016).
3. Booming labor market enticing some individuals directly to the labor markets.
4. MANY jobs available that don't require higher education.
5. Continued reporting of high tuition costs and excessive student debt.
6. Redundancy in programs (especially business and education) in PASSHE system.
7. Ability to gain trade certificate, professional certification, and alternative education not requiring higher education.
ETC

ADVERTISEMENT