ADVERTISEMENT

Enjoy College Football this Sat. turn off the sound

and don't listen to all the political views of the announcers. Just watch the game.

I haven’t listened to the announcers on most sporting events in years and it has nothing to do with politics. I truly hate watching sporting events on ESPN They constantly interrupt the game with this feature, that feature, this highlight and one of my favorites, showing the person they are interviewing while he or she is sitting in the booth rather than showing the game and hearing him yak in the background. My standing comment is that ESPN can feel free to sprinkle in the game it is supposed to be showing among its “features” and other BS. Now that ESPN has self-anointed itself as the world wide leader of social justice and moral consciousness, the broadcasts are even less tolerable which is why I only watch the network if I have no choice (e.g. ESPN is covering a PSU football game).

and don't listen to all the political views of the announcers. Just watch the game.
I watch with the assumption that the broadcasters are reading from prepared script and any deviation from corporate social/political orthodoxy will result in immediate termination. In short, their words are hollow & I don't take them seriously.

I haven’t listened to the announcers on most sporting events in years and it has nothing to do with politics. I truly hate watching sporting events on ESPN They constantly interrupt the game with this feature, that feature, this highlight and one of my favorites, showing the person they are interviewing while he or she is sitting in the booth rather than showing the game and hearing him yak in the background. My standing comment is that ESPN can feel free to sprinkle in the game it is supposed to be showing among its “features” and other BS. Now that ESPN has self-anointed itself as the world wide leader of social justice and moral consciousness, the broadcasts are even less tolerable which is why I only watch the network if I have no choice (e.g. ESPN is covering a PSU football game).

I agree completely. Their pre-planned bits are relentless and mostly awful. And they plan them for after "the next play" whether the next play is a boring 2 yard off tackle or an interesting play.

What really gets me is when there is a game on ESPN and another game on ESPN2 and you're watching one of them and in the middle of it they start showing parts of the other game. WTF? If I wanted to watch the other one then I'D ALREADY BE WATCHING IT!

ESPN invented playing cheesy music in the background when showing highlights that has become so ubiquitious. It wouldn't surprise me if they invented putting on a WHOOSH noise whenever a graphic comes on or goes off the screen.

And of course the non-stop scroll across the bottom of the screen DURING A GAME YOU'RE TRYING TO WATCH is nothing more than a non-stop advertisement for ESPN, sometimes implicitly by promoting sports in general but often explicitly in the sense of promoting upcoming games on ESPN and ESPN2 and ESPNU and ABC and whatever other channels they own.

Most TV broadcasts of football games are pretty bad at this point unfortunately since they adopt some of the above mentioned tactics, although it seems to me that ESPN is the worst. And all this applies aside from any politiciking.

snowflakes worry about what the announcers might say that might not agree with what they want to hear

ADVERTISEMENT