ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert on CBS right now (FULL INTERVIEW)

If we pay football players market value, what becomes of all the other sports and student athletes?

Now we're getting somewhere. We need the surplus generated by football players to underwrite the scholarships of swimmers, nand tennis players, and golfers, and gymnasts, et al. Funny how you overlook the possibility of using that surplus to provide scholarships of non-athletes with financial need. Not to worry. You're in fine company with folks like Barron, and Barbour. But I digress.

If we pay football players market value, what becomes of all the other sports and student athletes?

There are two issues at play here. Should student-athletes be considered employees of the university, and the completely separate issue of whether student-athletes ought to be able to earn money off of their image? I don’t know how the NCAA can tell a student-athlete that they cannot do business with a company that wants to pay them to endorse their shoes, sports drink, or what have you. It’s their image. It’s their labor and skills that has brought them this opportunity, and why companies covet their images, and the NCAA is effectively saying we control your image and you can’t make any money off of it, because if they do then they won’t be “amateurs” anymore and won’t be able to play their sport. So if you’re a football player and can’t even declare for the NFL draft the only option you have is to surrender the right to profit from your image until you can enter the NFL draft, which is to say surrender the control of your image to the NCAA. Meanwhile the networks and universities use your image all the time to advertise upcoming games, sell programs at games, entice people to buy tickets, etc.

http://rightofpublicity.com/brief-history-of-rop

I haven’t. Saving to do so (mine are 7 and 2).

Just like capitalism, they should get whatever someone wants to give them. For those that can’t get any extra, the scholarship would have to be enough.

Hey, I don’t think it is right, but it goes on anyway. So why continue the charade that these athletes are “amateurs”. I agree, playing a couple of years at a college sport shouldn’t make you set for life. But If some booster wants to drop high five or low six figures on a kid so they attend his/her school, what is it to me or you (if they make it legal).

I used to be in the camp of the scholarship should be enough. But you know what, every one else is allowed to go and make money while in college, (and yes, it is not the same amount, but the athlete has a skill set that is coveted more) why should these guys not be in the same boat .
Make it legal and end these ridiculous debates .
There really isn’t a debate. Nobody is forcing these kids to play....in fact, they’re lining up to do it. The free market system you talk about is working....they get what they get and they have every right not to do it. They know what they’re signing up for.

There really isn’t a debate. Nobody is forcing these kids to play....in fact, they’re lining up to do it. The free market system you talk about is working....they get what they get and they have every right not to do it. They know what they’re signing up for.

You make salient points and I always respect your opinion when you weigh in on topics. I usually find myself aligned with your thoughts and opinions. And I cannot argue against your statements.

But I think that your statement can be flipped in regards to the high end talent and that in fact it is the schools that are lining up to get the players. It creates a situation where they can demand more than just the full ride, and as it has played out, they get certain financial rewards for selecting one school over another. And that is where the issue/debate of paying college players exists. Personally, I don’t care if they get paid it not. But when federal agencies, and funds are being used to investigate this “problem”, then it needs to be addressed.

Now we're getting somewhere. We need the surplus generated by football players to underwrite the scholarships of swimmers, nand tennis players, and golfers, and gymnasts, et al. Funny how you overlook the possibility of using that surplus to provide scholarships of non-athletes with financial need. Not to worry. You're in fine company with folks like Barron, and Barbour. But I digress.

barren and Barbour got this.

I know of no one who has paid for their childs HS sports participation fee who expects them to gain a college ship. with it. I'm sure it happens but I have not witnessed it.

I think both school and student have obligations. If not met the contract is broken on either side but should be for a duration of the generally accepted length to graduation. If not it becomes a pro mentality not a student/athlete mentality.

What? Why do you think so many parents pay ridiculous club fees, weekend tournaments, travel teams. They are hoping (expecting) to get a scholarship. Just because you don’t personally know anyone doesn’t make it less true. There were 900 club volleyball teams in DC for a tournament last weekend. Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent by parents. They could play volleyball anywhere for free, but they pay big bucks to go their and get noticed.

You make salient points and I always respect your opinion when you weigh in on topics. I usually find myself aligned with your thoughts and opinions. And I cannot argue against your statements.

But I think that your statement can be flipped in regards to the high end talent and that in fact it is the schools that are lining up to get the players. It creates a situation where they can demand more than just the full ride, and as it has played out, they get certain financial rewards for selecting one school over another. And that is where the issue/debate of paying college players exists. Personally, I don’t care if they get paid it not. But when federal agencies, and funds are being used to investigate this “problem”, then it needs to be addressed.
It definitely needs to be addressed, I just don’t know the best way to do it. I think making it okay would be like legalizing heroin....it would create a huge mess where a handful of schools would rule the world. I also think a lot of smaller schools would sell their souls to create a one time winner then crush the rest of their future. Maybe I’m wrong about that but I think at least attempting to control it is better than opening the flood gates.

I should have appreciated Graham Spanier much more in the past than I did. I shook his hand on College Ave. a few times after playing in their sidewalk performances on game day.
Dr Spanier was a prof in H Dev when I was a student...liked and respected him then...

Think this is the full interview:

Emmert said he's been aware of rumors. #MarkKnew

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
IMO, one reasonable solution is to drop the 3-year post-HS barrier to entry for the NFL. Keep college sports limited to student athletes who opt-in to the amateur model. When they want to be compensated for their skills they can join the pros (which would require approval by the NFLPA). This way, nobody's preventing anyone from their opportunity to earn a living. The student athletes who opt into the amateur model will continue to receive full scholarships, books, housing, meals, cost of attendance stipend, etc. Not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
It definitely needs to be addressed, I just don’t know the best way to do it. I think making it okay would be like legalizing heroin....it would create a huge mess where a handful of schools would rule the world. I also think a lot of smaller schools would sell their souls to create a one time winner then crush the rest of their future. Maybe I’m wrong about that but I think at least attempting to control it is better than opening the flood gates.

Agreed. You may be right, just because something is legal/regulates doesn’t make it better.

I heard suggestions about flat payments for everyone and I think that is ridiculous.

I knew a couple of the football players in my freshmen year and they told us about the recruiting, etc and the ways to get extra money legally. Such as they would get a stipend for a first class plane ticket and just buy a coach (for Christmas breaks, school breaks, etc).

I just think we are so far past the amateur athlete.

God forbid they share their billions with the student-athletes who generate the revenue.

WE can all thank the 1970s Title IX legislation/regulations/legal interpretations for many of the 'money/revenue' issues. One example, all teams are supposed to travel with similar accomodations for the student-athletes. At most schools. basketball and football generate most of the revenue to enable that to happen. Some must pay 'student fees' to make up for some shortfalls. Other places rely on 'donations' from alumni and friends. And so forth...!

I guess Sandy won't be able to hire 20 more assistant to the assistant ad's to do her job properly, or get a new 150" tv for her office every year. Oh, the horrors.

ADVERTISEMENT