Email from my doctor's office

Ski

May 29, 2001
I take regular monthly medication through my doctor. Just received an e-mail that the cost is going up from $75 a month to $95 a month. They were just "notified by our suppliers of compound medications, that pricing has increased due to ever-increasing costs for raw materials and shipping costs that have affected the cost of providing finished products to our patients."

Those damn Putin price hikes. Let's go Brandon!

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
I take regular monthly medication through my doctor. Just received an e-mail that the cost is going up from $75 a month to $95 a month. They were just "notified by our suppliers of compound medications, that pricing has increased due to ever-increasing costs for raw materials and shipping costs that have affected the cost of providing finished products to our patients."

Compounded med pricing can be influenced by either transport costs, or by supply/ingredient costs. In this case, I'd bet that the bulk of it is associated with raw materials costs. There are a number of products that have had significant disruption of ingredient supply chains due to the Chinese response to Covid (ie, shutting down factories). For example, radioactive iodine costs have jumped about 50% in the market and it's becoming tough to get a scan using it. Similarly, the cost of iodine pills has increased dramatically due to Putin's war in Ukraine disrupting production (and resulting in proactive distribution in some areas). And, of course, there's the good old fashioned "doctor markup" on drugs purchased from a physician.

Interestingly, if you were able to take "off the shelf" versions of the med (and I recognize you might not be able to), you'd probably not experience the price hikes. First, traditional manufacturers have already pricing structures that have lots of room to accommodate cost structure increases, as most of the product's price value is in its IP rather than its production, whereas compounding pharmacies tend to be smaller businesses with tighter inventory where the product value is tied to cost/labor. Second (and many will love this), due to an upcoming change in federal law, many manufacturers are actually looking to hold the line on pricing because CPI inflation increases will advantage them. Under federal law, manufacturers are required to offer rebates and discounts to the states and other entities, and the discount depends in part on whether the manufacturers' prices have historically increased faster than CPI inflation. Historically, the maximum amount of the discount or rebate was capped at 100% of the price of the product. But, that cap is expiring in a year or two (ie, manufacturers in some cases may actually have to pay some buyers in connection with the "purchase" of a drug), so right now, if inflation is high and manufacturers hold the line on prices, they may be able to avoid or minimize the impact of the removal of the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJPSU

Ski

May 29, 2001
Well Trump told me was going to release his new healthcare plan that would fix all these problems.

Only problem is he lied and never had anything to release.

No healthcare plan can fix increased transportation and raw material costs due to Biden's inflationary policies and out of control spending. Wake up. It is May 2022 and your guy is POTATUS. Start putting the blame where it belongs. Wait until Whopper coupons are 2 for $8. Then you will feel it.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Well Trump told me was going to release his new healthcare plan that would fix all these problems.

I think you meant, THANK YOU JOE BIDEN.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
No healthcare plan can fix increased transportation and raw material costs due to Biden's inflationary policies and out of control spending. Wake up. It is May 2022 and your guy is POTATUS. Start putting the blame where it belongs. Wait until Whopper coupons are 2 for $8. Then you will feel it.
Aardvark already gave you a realistic explanation of what caused your predicament. Unfortunately your BDS kicked in and you went with that instead.

Reactions: LafayetteBear

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Aardvark already gave you a realistic explanation of what caused your predicament. Unfortunately your BDS kicked in and you went with that instead.

I thought Obamacare was going to help everyone? lmfao....

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010

We shouldn’t worry about medication because we likely have less than 5 years now before “climate change” dooms us all. Might as well throw caution to the wind and live for today. Medication be damned.

LioninHouston

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005

Elizabeth Warren has a plan for that, but she forgot to tell Biden.

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010

Hey NJ, how’s that stock market doing today?

Reactions: john4psu

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012

Trump isn't President. You're under Obama care, moron.

Reactions: psu skp

knickslions

Feb 2, 2005
I read on this board that big Pharma and FDA falsify all clinical data to make money. Why are you taking the medicines?

NC.Lion

Jan 11, 2021

The norm these days. Our pest service and pool service both increased in price due to inflation and trying to keep their small business running. It is only going to get worse!

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
The norm these days. Our pest service and pool service both increased in price due to inflation and trying to keep their small business running. It is only going to get worse!
Price increases are normal and occur every year. It’s the magnitude of price increase that could make your pool boy story relevant. You failed to provide that.

Latest posts