'Elon Musk Just Taught a Huge Lesson to Every CEO in America. I Hope They're Paying Attention' (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Tesla delivered 241,300 vehicles in the third quarter of 2021. That surprised many, beat Wall Street's expectations, and sent the company's stock price up 5 percent. Tesla managed this at a time when most car company sales have dropped sharply due to supply chain issues. The mindset Elon Musk and Tesla employees used to overcome these issues is something every business leader and especially every entrepreneur can learn from.

It's hard to overstate how much of an achievement Tesla's third quarter was. Tesla sold 102,000 more cars than it did in the same quarter of 2020--an increase of more than 73 percent. The company set a record for quarterly production. Compare that with other car makers: General Motors' sales were down 33 percent and Ford's sales were down 27 percent in those three months compared to the same quarter last year.

"Achieving the output that we did achieve was only due to an immense effort from people within Tesla," he said. "We were able to substitute alternative chips. And then write the firmware in a matter of weeks. It's not just a matter of swapping out a chip. You also have to rewrite the software. It was an incredibly intense effort of finding new chips, writing new firmware, integrating with the vehicle, and testing in order to maintain production."

In other words, he and the employees at Tesla kept doing what they'd always done. They adapted to a changing landscape and found ways to solve problems on the fly. Later in the call, Musk even entertained the question of whether Tesla might solve the problem once and for all by building its own semiconductor plant. "People want to say, 'Why don't you just build a chip fab?'" he said. "Well, OK, that would take us--even moving like lightning--12 to 18 months. So it's not like you can just whip out a chip fab."

The moral of the story- GM, Ford, VW, Toyota et al are overburdened, bloated bureaucracies just like government. So think twice before giving anymore authority to Washington, DC on anything! The Biden administration is particularly adept at creating crises just so it can expand its control. Never mind "solutions" make matters worse. Fixing things is not their goal. Their goal is to expand government overreach. When you control legacy media you can spin victory from failure, as we're seen recently with the unemployment numbers. That's how Biden and the social-democrats roll. That's why they look upon entrepreneurs like Elon Musk with disdain. Hell, Trump too for that matter. Thank you.

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
Tesla delivered 241,300 vehicles in the third quarter of 2021. That surprised many, beat Wall Street's expectations, and sent the company's stock price up 5 percent. Tesla managed this at a time when most car company sales have dropped sharply due to supply chain issues. The mindset Elon Musk and Tesla employees used to overcome these issues is something every business leader and especially every entrepreneur can learn from.

It's hard to overstate how much of an achievement Tesla's third quarter was. Tesla sold 102,000 more cars than it did in the same quarter of 2020--an increase of more than 73 percent. The company set a record for quarterly production. Compare that with other car makers: General Motors' sales were down 33 percent and Ford's sales were down 27 percent in those three months compared to the same quarter last year.

"Achieving the output that we did achieve was only due to an immense effort from people within Tesla," he said. "We were able to substitute alternative chips. And then write the firmware in a matter of weeks. It's not just a matter of swapping out a chip. You also have to rewrite the software. It was an incredibly intense effort of finding new chips, writing new firmware, integrating with the vehicle, and testing in order to maintain production."

In other words, he and the employees at Tesla kept doing what they'd always done. They adapted to a changing landscape and found ways to solve problems on the fly. Later in the call, Musk even entertained the question of whether Tesla might solve the problem once and for all by building its own semiconductor plant. "People want to say, 'Why don't you just build a chip fab?'" he said. "Well, OK, that would take us--even moving like lightning--12 to 18 months. So it's not like you can just whip out a chip fab."

The moral of the story- GM, Ford, VW, Toyota et al are overburdened, bloated bureaucracies just like government. So think twice before giving anymore authority to Washington, DC on anything! The Biden administration is particularly adept at creating crises just so it can expand its control. Never mind "solutions" make matters worse. Fixing things is not their goal. Their goal is to expand government overreach. When you control legacy media you can spin victory from failure, as we're seen recently with the unemployment numbers. That's how Biden and the social-democrats roll. That's why they look upon entrepreneurs like Elon Musk with disdain. Hell, Trump too for that matter. Thank you.

Some of these legacy automakers just aren't going to be around in the future, or they will be around but be much much smaller.

Reactions: NJPSU

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state

Saw the same issues in the major oil companies during the leasing craze in W Pa a decade ago. The big companies had so much bureaucratic bs that they moved too slowly and the smaller independents leased the best areas first. The bigs either leased less productive areas or bought out the leases at higher prices from the independents.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
Saw the same issues in the major oil companies during the leasing craze in W Pa a decade ago. The big companies had so much bureaucratic bs that they moved too slowly and the smaller independents leased the best areas first. The bigs either leased less productive areas or bought out the leases at higher prices from the independents.

Well I guess that depends on the goals of your company.

If your goal to produce oil then you are spot on.

If your only goal is to increase your reserves in order to raise more money from Wall Street then it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: franklinman

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX

Musk's product isn't cars or batteries or chips. It is stock.

With unlimited capital at 10x revenues and without the need to be profitable almost anything is possible.

LdN

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011

With unlimited capital at 10x revenues and without the need to be profitable almost anything is possible.

LdN

Neither Spacex or Tesla started out with unlimited capital. The unlimited capital only came about after they were successful. The big question is how did they did get to this point?

As far as stock his only product just look at Spacex, it's not even a publicly traded company.

Probably a lot of it has do with Musk himself.

Here’s what Jim Cantrell, who was on the SpaceX confounding team with Elon Musk, says about Elon Musk,​
“I am going to suggest that he is successful not because his visions are grand, not because he is extraordinarily smart and not because he works incredibly hard. All of those things are true. The one major important distinction that sets him apart is his inability to consider failure. It simply is not even in his thought process. He cannot conceive of failure and that is truly remarkable. It doesn't matter if its going up against the banking system (Paypal), going up against the entire aerospace industry (SpaceX) or going up against the US auto industry (Tesla). He can't imagine NOT succeeding and that is a very critical trait that leads him ultimately to success. He and I had very similar upbringings, very similar interests and very similar early histories. He was a bit of a loner and so was I. He decided to start a software company at age 13. I decided to design and build my own stereo amplifier system at age 13. Both of us succeeded at it. We both had engineers for fathers and were extremely driven kids. What separated us, I believe, was his lack of even being able to conceive failure. I know this because this is where we parted ways at SpaceX. We got to a point where I could not see it succeeding and walked away. He didn't and succeeded. I have 25 years experience building space hardware and he had none at the time. So much for experience.”​

Reactions: NJPSU

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
Neither Spacex or Tesla started out with unlimited capital. The unlimited capital only came about after they were successful. The big question is how did they did get to this point?

As far as stock his only product just look at Spacex, it's not even a publicly traded company.

Probably a lot of it has do with Musk himself.

Here’s what Jim Cantrell, who was on the SpaceX confounding team with Elon Musk, says about Elon Musk,​
“I am going to suggest that he is successful not because his visions are grand, not because he is extraordinarily smart and not because he works incredibly hard. All of those things are true. The one major important distinction that sets him apart is his inability to consider failure. It simply is not even in his thought process. He cannot conceive of failure and that is truly remarkable. It doesn't matter if its going up against the banking system (Paypal), going up against the entire aerospace industry (SpaceX) or going up against the US auto industry (Tesla). He can't imagine NOT succeeding and that is a very critical trait that leads him ultimately to success. He and I had very similar upbringings, very similar interests and very similar early histories. He was a bit of a loner and so was I. He decided to start a software company at age 13. I decided to design and build my own stereo amplifier system at age 13. Both of us succeeded at it. We both had engineers for fathers and were extremely driven kids. What separated us, I believe, was his lack of even being able to conceive failure. I know this because this is where we parted ways at SpaceX. We got to a point where I could not see it succeeding and walked away. He didn't and succeeded. I have 25 years experience building space hardware and he had none at the time. So much for experience.”​

Thanks for the spam Fanboi.

LdN

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
So nothing on both companies not having unlimited capital when they started? Or the fact that Spacex doesn't even have publicly traded stock?

You seem confused. It's ok.

Try rereading my post and tell me where I was talking about when Tesla started.

Or anything about SpaceX.

Or when i said something negative about Musk and his work ethic.

LdN

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
You seem confused. It's ok.

Try rereading my post and tell me where I was talking about when Tesla started.

Or anything about SpaceX.

Or when i said something negative about Musk and his work ethic.

LdN

This is what you said.

Musk runs more companies that just Tesla.

Also Tesla did develop their own computer chip that is installed in every car they sell. This chip was designed to enable full self driving.

The full self-driving chip or FSD chip for short is Tesla's home-grown custom designed autonomous driving chip. The chip has been in development since 2016 and has entered mass production in early 2019. Designed as a drop-in upgrade for Tesla's existing cars, the FSD chip inherits most of the power and thermal requirements of prior solutions - including staying with the maximum power consumption of 100 W. Since the chip itself is designed specifically for Tesla's own cars and their own requirements, much of the general purpose-ability of alternative neural processors has been stripped away from the FSD chip, leaving the design with only the hardware they need.​
At a high level, the chip is a full system-on-a-chip capable of booting a standard operating system. It is manufactured on Samsung's 14-nanometer process at their Austin, Texas fab, packing roughly six billion transistors on a 260 millimeter squared silicon die. The FSD chip meets AEC-Q100 Grade-2 automotive quality standards. The choice to go with a mature 14 nm node instead of a more leading-edge node boiled down to cost and IP readiness. There are twelve 64-bit ARM cores organized as three clusters of quad-core Cortex-A72 cores operating at 2.2 GHz which are used for general purpose processing. There is also relatively light GPU primarily designed for light-weight post-processing. It operates at 1 GHz, capable of up to 600 GFLOPS, supporting both single-precision and double-precision floating point operations.​
They have also designed their own computer chip that will be used to build a system that will process the data and train the neural network they are using in the cars.

Tesla introduced the Tesla D1, a new chip designed specifically for artificial intelligence that is capable of delivering a power of 362 TFLOPs in BF16 / CFP8. This was announced at Tesla’s recent AI Day event.​
The Tesla D1 adds a total of 354 training nodes that form a network of functional units, which are interconnected to create a massive chip. Each functional unit comes with a quad-core, 64-bit ISA CPU that uses a specialized, custom design for transpositions, compilations, broadcasts, and link traversal. This CPU adopts a superscalar implementation (4-wide scalar and 2-wide vector pipelines).​
This new Tesla silicon is manufactured in 7nm process, has a total of 50,000 million transistors, and occupies an area of 645 mm square, which means that it is smaller than the GA100 GPU, used in the NVIDIA A100 accelerator, which is 826 mm square in size.​
Each functional unit has 1.25 MB SRAM and 512 GB/sec bandwidth in any direction on the unit network. The CPUs are joined in multichip configurations of 25 D1 units, which Tesla calls "Dojo Interface Processors" (DIPs).​
Tesla claims its Dojo chip will process computer vision data four times faster than existing systems, enabling the company to bring its self-driving system to full autonomy, but the two most difficult technological feats have not been accomplished by Tesla yet, this is the tile to tile interconnect and software. Each tile has more external bandwidth than the highest end networking switches. To achieve this, Tesla developed custom interconnects. Tesla says the first Dojo cluster will be running by next year.​

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX

This is what you said.

Musk runs more companies that just Tesla.

Also Tesla did develop their own computer chip that is installed in every car they sell. This chip was designed to enable full self driving.

The full self-driving chip or FSD chip for short is Tesla's home-grown custom designed autonomous driving chip. The chip has been in development since 2016 and has entered mass production in early 2019. Designed as a drop-in upgrade for Tesla's existing cars, the FSD chip inherits most of the power and thermal requirements of prior solutions - including staying with the maximum power consumption of 100 W. Since the chip itself is designed specifically for Tesla's own cars and their own requirements, much of the general purpose-ability of alternative neural processors has been stripped away from the FSD chip, leaving the design with only the hardware they need.​
At a high level, the chip is a full system-on-a-chip capable of booting a standard operating system. It is manufactured on Samsung's 14-nanometer process at their Austin, Texas fab, packing roughly six billion transistors on a 260 millimeter squared silicon die. The FSD chip meets AEC-Q100 Grade-2 automotive quality standards. The choice to go with a mature 14 nm node instead of a more leading-edge node boiled down to cost and IP readiness. There are twelve 64-bit ARM cores organized as three clusters of quad-core Cortex-A72 cores operating at 2.2 GHz which are used for general purpose processing. There is also relatively light GPU primarily designed for light-weight post-processing. It operates at 1 GHz, capable of up to 600 GFLOPS, supporting both single-precision and double-precision floating point operations.​
They have also designed their own computer chip that will be used to build a system that will process the data and train the neural network they are using in the cars.

Tesla introduced the Tesla D1, a new chip designed specifically for artificial intelligence that is capable of delivering a power of 362 TFLOPs in BF16 / CFP8. This was announced at Tesla’s recent AI Day event.​
The Tesla D1 adds a total of 354 training nodes that form a network of functional units, which are interconnected to create a massive chip. Each functional unit comes with a quad-core, 64-bit ISA CPU that uses a specialized, custom design for transpositions, compilations, broadcasts, and link traversal. This CPU adopts a superscalar implementation (4-wide scalar and 2-wide vector pipelines).​
This new Tesla silicon is manufactured in 7nm process, has a total of 50,000 million transistors, and occupies an area of 645 mm square, which means that it is smaller than the GA100 GPU, used in the NVIDIA A100 accelerator, which is 826 mm square in size.​
Each functional unit has 1.25 MB SRAM and 512 GB/sec bandwidth in any direction on the unit network. The CPUs are joined in multichip configurations of 25 D1 units, which Tesla calls "Dojo Interface Processors" (DIPs).​
Tesla claims its Dojo chip will process computer vision data four times faster than existing systems, enabling the company to bring its self-driving system to full autonomy, but the two most difficult technological feats have not been accomplished by Tesla yet, this is the tile to tile interconnect and software. Each tile has more external bandwidth than the highest end networking switches. To achieve this, Tesla developed custom interconnects. Tesla says the first Dojo cluster will be running by next year.​

Thanks for the spam fanboi

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001

I feel bad for that Tesla owner when those alternate chip die. It's going to be a bitch getting a replacement.

It may seem like a good idea now for Tesla, but down the road maintaining two sets of hardware and software is going to be costly.

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
I feel bad for that Tesla owner when those alternate chip die. It's going to be a bitch getting a replacement.

It may seem like a good idea now for Tesla, but down the road maintaining two sets of hardware and software is going to be costly.

There are two chips in each car. They run in parallel for safety reasons.

They have already shipped millions of these chips. Next year they will ship more than 2 million. I don't think finding spares is going to be a problem.

tesla-fsd-computer-hardware-image.jpg

Yeah I think you may be a bit confused.

The chip Telsa developed for the car is specifically designed to run the neural network used to allow the car to drive itself. The design constraints are that the chip must be able to process the video data from 8 cameras and use a little power as possible. I think the chip they designed comes in with a power draw of about 80 watts.

The other chip they developed is for training the neural network that then gets downloaded to the car. The design constraints are completely different. For NN training all you care about is speed, power doesn't matter at all. You also need massive amounts of bandwidth because you have process petabytes of video data.
The Tesla D1 chip can be interconnected through DIP (Dojo Interface Processor), 25 pieces form a training unit (Training Tile) , and multiple training units can continue to be interconnected, a single external bandwidth up to 36TB/s, each direction Both are 9TB/s.​
Such a giant, power consumption and heat generation are quite terrible, the current is up to 18000A, covering a rectangular parallel piped heat dissipation scheme, and the heat dissipation capacity is as high as 15kW.​
This chip will never be used in a car. One tile of 25 chips draws 18,000 amps. It would drain the entire car battery in minutes.

So you use a huge supercomputer to crunch petabytes of video data to train a neural network and then download the NN into the car's computer. Running the neural network is much, much less compute intensive than the training.