ADVERTISEMENT

Elgin Baylor passes away

Dec. 8, 1961, the Lakers traveled to Philadelphia to take on the Warriors. The game went 3 OTs, with the Lakers winning 151-147. Chamberlain played all 63 minutes of the game, and scored 78 points for the Warriors, and plucked 43 rebounds. Opposing him at center for the Lakers was Elgin Baylor, who dropped 63 points in the game, and grabbed 31 rebounds.

Besides these astounding numbers for two of the league's stars, a few other things stand out about the game. At the time, the single-game scoring record by a player in the NBA was 71 points, and held by Elgin Baylor for his Nov. 15, 1960 game against the Knicks. Chamberlain broke that record in this matchup between the two players. And the record that Chamberlain set this night would be broken by him 3 months later, when he scored 100 points on March 2, 1962 against the Knicks.

Reactions: Fac and Bob78
It’s interesting that there are three cities in which there is no question who the best player from that city is: New York, Philadelphia, and Washington. (And Akron, come to think of it.)

It’s interesting that there are three cities in which there is no question who the best player from that city is: New York, Philadelphia, and Washington. (And Akron, come to think of it.)
So you’re picking Dr J over Wilt?

Interesting trivia

Elgin Baylor played at Univ of Seattle (1958). However from 1960-1969 Univ of Seattle produced more NBA players than any other school during that same time frame.

And that includes the great UCLA teams with all that talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew
I think the key word here is “from” Wilt is FROM Philly. Dr J played in Philly.

Philly -Wilt
NYC -Lew Alcindor
Washington DC. Elgin Baylor
then I guess we know the best player from Cabin Creek.

Bird.

How about Lebanon Pa?
Lebo.

I was reading up on Honus Wagner the other day. Bill James has him at the greatest shortstop in history and says that Wagner is as much better than the second-best SS as the 2nd best is better than the 20th best.

Who Is 2nd best in NY, Philly, DC? I have no idea and there is no way we would be able to reach a consensus.

Lebo.

I was reading up on Honus Wagner the other day. Bill James has him at the greatest shortstop in history and says that Wagner is as much better than the second-best SS as the 2nd best is better than the 20th best.

Who Is 2nd best in NY, Philly, DC? I have no idea and there is no way we would be able to reach a consensus.

Interesting. Sam Bowie would have been my choice.

2nd best? That’s tough

My thoughts

NYC -Pearl Washington
Philly -Gene Banks
DC -Kevin Durant

It appears we're limiting this to NBA players. Philadelphia has had several excellent ones born or raised in the Philadelphia area. After Wilt, I think I would rate them as:

2. Paul Arizin
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Earl "the Pearl" Monroe
5. Rasheed Wallace
6. Tom Gola
7. Kyle Lowrly
8. Larry Cannon
9. Kyle Lowry
10. Fred Carter
11. Cuttino Mobley
12. Ray "Chink" Scott

That's 12, and I'm leaving out some excellent players, including:

- Guy Rodgers
- Gene Banks
- Mike Bantom
- Johnny Baum
- Michael Brooks
- Joe Bryant
- Steve Goodrich
- Lynn Greer
- Hal Lear
- Eddie Griffin
- Matt Guokas
- Wayne Hightower
- Tom Ingelsby
- Marc Jackson
- Ollie Johnson
- Wali Jones
- Pickles Kennedy
- Lewis Lloyd
- Andre McCarter
- Aaron McKie
- Billy Melchionni
- the Morris twins (Marcus and Markieff)
- John Olive
- Doug Overton
- Pooh Richardson
- John Salmons
- Mustafa Shakur
- Lionel Simmons
- Sean Singletary
- Hakim Warrick
- Luke Witte
- etc.

Reactions: LionJim
I was out in San Bakersport, CA back in 77 doing some transient highway work and saw this guy playing one on one with Don Knotts- not as big of a mismatch as when I saw AI playing against those Georgetown fratsters.

Any one remember Reggie Wells from Eastern Pa? Played at Clarion during the late 70's. He was pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT