ADVERTISEMENT

Edmond Ruth

Sullivan

Nov 24, 2001
Apparently, he is still at Susquehanna Township and not Blair this season.

Since a few people had asked about him in recent weeks, I thought I'd bump this earlier post made by Sullivan.

FWIW, this past weekend while wrestling for Susquehanna Township HS, Edmond took 1st place in the District 3 Class AA Championships, at 170 lbs.

I was at the match. It looked like Group had a takedown that was not awarded (merkel). I think if they had replay he would have gotten it. If anyone else was there what did you think? They are both even and should meet again this weekend.

Edmond is probably not ever going to Blair. Nice win at District's, though. His second one.

I was at the match. It looked like Group had a takedown that was not awarded (merkel). I think if they had replay he would have gotten it. If anyone else was there what did you think? They are both even and should meet again this weekend.

i didn't see the match, so I can't speak to the specifics of what took place. On a broader scale, merkels can be a challenge for refs. Just because a wrestler hits a merkel does not necessarily mean that he has control. It can take some time for the wrestler that hit the merkel to gain control, or they may never get it.

i didn't see the match, so I can't speak to the specifics of what took place. On a broader scale, merkels can be a challenge for refs. Just because a wrestler hits a merkel does not necessarily mean that he has control. It can take some time for the wrestler that hit the merkel to gain control, or they may never get it.
I think you are correct. Group had it hooked, Ruth's hand was on the mat and the official had plenty of time to make the call. In his opinion it was not a takedown.

We call it by another name, Okey. You can take the roll in either direction. It's not a pinning move, get 3 and roll back on top.

We call it by another name, Okey. You can take the roll in either direction. It's not a pinning move, get 3 and roll back on top.
Not if you look for the tilt first. But if you look for the fall immediately, yes. Thomas Haines flattened a LOT of guys in high school with that move.

I disagree. A merkel meets criteria for control if a hand is on the mat. I also didn't see the match and have no idea if an actual merkel was locked up.

Re: Ruth and Blair or WyoSem
That transfer only makes sense if he's gonna make the lineup. With the typical makeup of their lineups it would not be a given he would start. I don't know if these are barriers for Ruth but with high costs and low acceptance rates private boarding schools aint for everybody.

Not if you look for the tilt first. But if you look for the fall immediately, yes. Thomas Haines flattened a LOT of guys in high school with that move.
Just like cross wrist tilts, merkels are not typical pinning moves... except at the upper weights.

Why Not!

Seriously, aside from having some personal connections, it's a great school and coach Green seems like a good guy. If they are looking to make a move like Ed did, Blair isn't the only option; Sem brings just as much to the table, imo.

I disagree. A merkel meets criteria for control if a hand is on the mat. I also didn't see the match and have no idea if an actual merkel was locked up.

Re: Ruth and Blair or WyoSem
That transfer only makes sense if he's gonna make the lineup. With the typical makeup of their lineups it would not be a given he would start. I don't know if these are barriers for Ruth but with high costs and low acceptance rates private boarding schools aint for everybody.

There is something to be said for getting your education at either of those schools. If wrestling opens the door, you take advantage, even if Div I wrestling or even starting isn't guaranteed.

Reactions: nitlion6
Why Not!

Seriously, aside from having some personal connections, it's a great school and coach Green seems like a good guy. If they are looking to make a move like Ed did, Blair isn't the only option; Sem brings just as much to the table, imo.

There is something to be said for getting your education at either of those schools. If wrestling opens the door, you take advantage, even if Div I wrestling or even starting isn't guaranteed.

Not sure Ed was looking to make a move, pretty sure an issue or disagreement came up at Susquehanna Twp. Not saying he got into trouble just can’t remember exactly what it was.

There are degrees of judgement in just about every single call in wrestling. It's a great challenge and takes a lot of experience to get all the routine calls right in an entire dual meet.

As for a Merkel, it is actually one of the easier calls. You need to be hip to hip, have the leg laced, near arm & head locked, AND your opponent is supporting weight on at least one hand, then you have control. As long as all 4 criteria are met, you are deemed to have control.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM

Not sure Smalls,though I had the pleasure to say hello To your old coach and Coach Manning on Saturday night. Curious who Manning was checking in on? Would that be Ryan Anderson?Thx

Maybe getting a good look at that young 132 lb Rover from a Rovers perspective?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT