ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: BIG TEN REVOTE AS EARLY AS THIS FRIDAY!

Actually, numbers from April are more meaningful than ever.

If, in April, we were testing at the rate we are now, looking for asymptomatic cases are intently as we are now, the numbers would have been off the chart and this 'surge' would have been a meager blip

This is correct. Remember, back in April testing was not as easily available as it is now. The only people getting tested back in April were those people reporting symptoms. People were actually being asked to NOT go get tested.... to ONLY go get tested IF you had symptoms. The assumptions that there were not a-symptomatic people back in April is not feasible. Of course there were a-symptomatic people in April, but they were not being tested. Now, EVERYONE can go get tested just to get tested. You do not need a reason, and you do not have to report symptoms. You simply pull into a testing center. So yes. If the testing were being done back in April as it is being done now, then this would not appear to be a surge.

Actually, numbers from April are more meaningful than ever.

If, in April, we were testing at the rate we are now, looking for asymptomatic cases are intently as we are now, the numbers would have been off the chart and this 'surge' would have been a meager blip

April doesn’t matter now because those aren’t active cases any longer. In the past several weeks, Iowa has more infection that NJ over the same period. Yes, NJ has been hit harder than Iowa in total, but Iowa is currently in a worse spot that NJ.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Iowa isn't close to be the highest rate of infection per 100,000 in the country. In fact, New Jersey has the highest rate of infections per 100,000 in the Big 10.

Here are the positivity rates for Big Ten states as of yesterday:
NJ 1%
MI 2%
OH 3%
Il 4%
PA 5%
MD 5%
IN 9%
WI 9%
MN 9%
NE 10%
IA 19%

Reactions: nits74 and BBrown
Not to get ahead of things, but if 9 teams do play and the rest sit the season out, how does the conference share the revenue this year? Everybody get their fair share or just the teams that play? Should be interesting.

I could see a split amount.

Ie if you play you get x - if you don't you get y - with the difference being the travel/hotel (for home game), and operating expenses for hosting game in stadium

Keep in mind - our revenue is increased by MD being in conference - even without them playing - so it will be hard to keep the full revenue from them

The students in Iowa City don't represent the state. Iowa people are good people.

My opinion of Iowa fans stems from both football and wrestling. Sure, there are terrible fans from all schools and but I don't think any school has a combination of football+wrestling as bad as Iowa.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Iowa isn't close to be the highest rate of infection per 100,000 in the country. In fact, New Jersey has the highest rate of infections per 100,000 in the Big 10.
This is currently, not overall. It is the current hot spot. The state, like the southern states, is tone deaf.

So Warren got the federal government to pay them to play? Take that SEC!
There already is billions in aid available via the CARES act to pay for COVID-related expenses. The $ has been distributed to states and the states are having a hard time spending it all.

Will be fascinating to see which way the wind is blowing on Friday, so we know which way Barron will vote. A man of true conviction😉
Not so sure about your metaphor - if someone in his close proximity is cooking bacon, will the wind even matter???

Even if you finish 3-2 and they name the season 2020: The year they Tried, that's better than not trying. Some of you wouldn't be mentally tough enough to play for the great Bill O'Brien.

Reactions: Kiber
Michigan and Michigan State, and Illinois, Northwestern, and Indiana for that matter, could just "bubble" at one of the other schools in a different state and pay the host school for expenses. That way takes away pressure their governor's may apply.

Reactions: bison13
SIAP:

Unofficial poll - which is the bigger blunder? How the B1G has handled fall sports this year, or how the PSU BOT handled Sandusky?

It's being reported in the CDT (it's behind a paywall) that Dr Sebastinelli says "that cadriac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for C19 appeared to have myocarditis"

The use of roughly and appeared make this comment somewhat unusual, to me at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Lion
It's being reported in the CDT (it's behind a paywall) that Dr Sebastinelli says "that cadriac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for C19 appeared to have myocarditis"

The use of roughly and appeared make this comment somewhat unusual, to me at least.

This is a good bit higher than the results the OSU doctor discovered (and was reported in the NYT):

Daniels, the director of sports cardiology at Ohio State, had also been busy, working to publish a three-month study whose preliminary findings were presented to Pac-12 and Big Ten leaders before they shut down football earlier this month. Daniels said that cardiac M.R.I.s, an expensive and sparingly used tool, revealed an alarmingly high rate of myocarditis — heart inflammation that can lead to cardiac arrest with exertion — among college athletes who had recovered from the coronavirus.

The survey found myocarditis in close to 15 percent of athletes who had the virus, almost all of whom experienced mild or no symptoms, Daniels added, perhaps shedding more light on the uncertainties about the short- and long-term effects the virus may have on athletes.

Reactions: step.eng69
The survey found myocarditis in close to 15 percent of athletes who had the virus, almost all of whom experienced mild or no symptoms, Daniels added, perhaps shedding more light on the uncertainties about the short- and long-term effects the virus may have on athletes.

very good and alarming article about Dr. Warraich, cardiologist
thanks.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
very good and alarming article about Dr. Warraich, cardiologist
thanks.

It seems the B1G is not only concerned about the potential issues surrounding COVID for the season, but the long term effects as well (and potential lawsuits?). Says to me the B1G doesn't think they can adequately protect their players from getting the virus - SEC, ACC, and BigXII either a) are more confident in their ability to protect players, and/or b) aren't as concerned about long term harm (to their institutions) if players contract it or suffer the effects of it down the road.

It seems the B1G is not only concerned about the potential issues surrounding COVID for the season, but the long term effects as well (and potential lawsuits?). Says to me the B1G doesn't think they can adequately protect their players from getting the virus - SEC, ACC, and BigXII either a) are more confident in their ability to protect players, and/or b) aren't as concerned about long term harm (to their institutions) if players contract it or suffer the effects of it down the road.

So is myocarditis only found as a possible side effect to athletes??

If true, I wonder why the B1G doesn't appear to have the same level of concern about the hundreds of thousands of "ordinary" students that they have brought back to their universities? Or, do they have some top secret medical information that myocarditis is only a potential long term issue for athletes? Hmmmm....

Last edited:
If true, I wonder why the B1G doesn't appear to have the same level of concern about the hundreds of thousands of "ordinary" students that they have brought back to their universities? Or, do they have some top secret medical information that myocarditisis is only a potential long term issue for athletes? Hmmmm....

It's a good point - what's the difference in liability between a scholarship athlete and a student? Is there a difference? If an engineering student contracts COVID and has myocarditis, how much does it impact his future earnings? Say the same thing for someone like Micah Parsons - big difference? No difference? Lots of unanswerables but B1G has played things extremely safe so far. Will be interesting to see if they change course because of the promise of more access to testing kits.

If true, I wonder why the B1G doesn't appear to have the same level of concern about the hundreds of thousands of "ordinary" students that they have brought back to their universities? Or, do they have some top secret medical information that myocarditisis is only a potential long term issue for athletes? Hmmmm....
Remember the list of demands the B1G players asked for before they would play? Can you say fear of class action?

Well yea it should be a concern for all but I get why there is more concern for an athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT