ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Open

Yeah, that Nolan kid was simply unbelievable. Really. ;-)
Nolan knew how to end a match early.

u6atra1g5u9fnb0p8bwh.gif

What kind of message board do you think this is, that we couldn't blow up a likely non-issue for no apparent reason?

Seriously, a simpler explanation could be that originally everybody registered unattached to avoid any possible issues with the competition date limit. Then some guys dropped out, and the guys who remained didn't bother changing to attached.
Interesting fact about this season. At 14 competition dates, this season has the fewest I can recall (not counting last years shortened season). Allowed are 16.

Robin Ventura shoulda tried to pick Nolan up and drop him on his head. Hopefully he was tall enough or low enough for that. I think that’s what a wrestler would do. Or maybe a front trip.
See Ed Ott (Pirates catcher) vs Felix Millan (Mets second baseman). Sure Ed had a 30lb advantage and it might've been an illegal slam, but that's a chance one takes when punching a former wrestler in the face while holding the baseball.

https://newyork.sbnation.com/new-yo...ies-carlos-beltran-mike-cameron-mickey-mantle

Couldn't find a gif of it.

1969-70 2nd in PA State at 165 for Muncy PA Indians.

Last edited:
Interesting fact about this season. At 14 competition dates, this season has the fewest I can recall (not counting last years shortened season). Allowed are 16.
When does next year's schedule come out?😉
The duals were nice but I miss the mid season tournament. Can't imagine the difficulty of figuring out a schedule last 2 seasons with all the issues.

See Ed Ott (Pirates catcher) vs Felix Millan (Mets second baseman). Sure Ed had a 30lb advantage and it might've been an illegal slam, but that's a chance one takes when punching a former wrestler in the face while holding the baseball.

https://newyork.sbnation.com/new-yo...ies-carlos-beltran-mike-cameron-mickey-mantle

1969-70 2nd in PA States at 165 for Muncy PA Indians.
The PIAA only had one classification back then so no shame being a runner up and with less weight classes I believe. Ed Ott was a great football player also. I remember my late father talking about Ed getting the snap in the single wing offense and " scaring you to death on every play"! My dad said he ran all over the field.

Last edited:

1969-70 2nd in PA States at 165 for Muncy PA Indians.

Couldn't find a gif either but these pics tell the story. Millan had no idea what he got himself into.

(BTW, the headline is a quote from Chuck Tanner.)

img

I am pretty sure Ed Ott nearly choked out Rob Dibble in a baseball brawl.

I don't think Nolan was punching Ventura very hard, it would not take very much to break your hand punching someone in the crown/forehead, plus it was it pitching hand.

Earl Poust, 1950's era Penn State wrestler, was Ed Ott's high school wrestling coach. Ed injured his shoulder while practicing with Poust during the week prior to states; thus, limiting his use of one arm during his semi final and final matches. The shoulder injury followed Ed throughout his baseball career. Ed was an outstanding football player, at one time holding the West Branch Conference touchdown record. Ed had numerous football and wrestling offers and it would have been fun to see him as a two sport athlete at Penn State.

Earl Poust, 1950's era Penn State wrestler, was Ed Ott's high school wrestling coach. Ed injured his shoulder while practicing with Poust during the week prior to states; thus, limiting his use of one arm during his semi final and final matches. The shoulder injury followed Ed throughout his baseball career. Ed was an outstanding football player, at one time holding the West Branch Conference touchdown record. Ed had numerous football and wrestling offers and it would have been fun to see him as a two sport athlete at Penn State.
Ed wrestled the semi-finals and finals with one arm. HR even complained back then, pre-Gable about the advantage Ed got from wrestling with a single arm.

In the brawl (or bitch slam) Millan broke his collarbone and never played another MLB game.

totally unrelated wrestling Trivia:
ED OTT was pinned in the 1970 PIAA finals by Mt Lebanon's TEDDY BOUYOUCAS. 1970 was the year that the WPIAL (district 7) advanced a wrestler to the PIAA finals in every single weight class claiming 8 titles. That record stood for almost 50 years ---until the WPIAL won 9 championships a few years ago. (Interestingly, it was MT Lebanon's/Penn State's STOUT that won the 9th title to break the record)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT