ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Open

Tony wins 10-6!

I hope we shouldn’t read anything into him wrestling unattached.

Reactions: IndyLion1
Admittedly, I only watched Tony and Levi. I just got home and was able to watch their finals. Before their finals match I also watched Levi wrestle Gallagher so here are my thoughts:

Levi:
I think we for sure have a good one in the making. The kid just doesn't stop wrestling and stays in good position. People out west were saying Gallagher is an AA threat off the get go, and if they're right, so is Levi. To see him wrestle his semi and finals match and be the aggressor without a doubt throughout both matches was extremely good to see. He looked bigger than both opponents so hopefully he doesn't outgrow the weight class considering he is still in high school. I'm guessing he gets the nod right away.

Tony:
I think we've seen the last of him at 57. I mentioned it in a different thread I thought he was having trouble with the cut. Maybe not necessarily cutting a lot of weight, but possibly bad management. He looked good in the finals and his gas tank was noticeably better up a weight. I'm wondering if him wrestling 65, and Berge being out the last two matches isn't a bit of foreshadowing. Berge may be dropping and Tony getting a feel for 65 to challenge Edsell.

Impressed with both guys overall.

I imagine he'll do some damage at the Scuffle and he shirt will be pulled in January '23

Reactions: mcpat
“Haines ain’t beating Paddy. Of that I’m certain. Unless he loads for bear, and turns into a physical monster over night… Paddy just built different.”~ ao_coachphil
Oops! Sometimes we don’t know what we don’t what we don’t know. Patty is gonna be a good one, but, so will Levi. We may have a couple of years to see these two go at it.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Oops! Sometimes we don’t know what we don’t what we don’t know. Patty is gonna be a good one, but, so will Levi. We may have a couple of years to see these two go at it.
I have a sneaking suspicion that coach Phil is going to be a big big PSU hater these next 5 years or so. And I don’t think he will even try to hide it. Agree, Paddy I think will be very good but happy we have Levi!

Levi reminds me of a bigger Zain! he will start next year! book it!
One thing Cael has repeatedly proven, nobody is above a red shirt, especially if the points aren't needed at Nationals.

Plus, the Edinboro Open and other opens are much different than the grind of a BIG dual season then the tournaments. Still impressive he is holding his own against college athletes.

Where is Levi P4P in 2022 class?
1 SR Nick Feldman Malvern Prep PA 220 Ohio State
2 SR Jesse Mendez Crown Point IN 138 Ohio State
3 SR Nic Bouzakis Wyoming Seminary PA 132 Ohio State
4 JR Cody Chittum Cleveland TN 145 Minnesota
5 SR Ryan Crookham Saucon Valley PA 132 Lehigh
6 SR Caleb Henson Woodland GA 152 Virginia Tech
7 SR Manny Rojas Detroit Catholic Central MI 170 Iowa State
8 SR Levi Haines Biglerville PA 160 Penn State

Reactions: kevin310 and Ja1339
1 SR Nick Feldman Malvern Prep PA 220 Ohio State
2 SR Jesse Mendez Crown Point IN 138 Ohio State
3 SR Nic Bouzakis Wyoming Seminary PA 132 Ohio State
4 JR Cody Chittum Cleveland TN 145 Minnesota
5 SR Ryan Crookham Saucon Valley PA 132 Lehigh
6 SR Caleb Henson Woodland GA 152 Virginia Tech
7 SR Manny Rojas Detroit Catholic Central MI 170 Iowa State
8 SR Levi Haines Biglerville PA 160 Penn State
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: BOSCO2
haines is pretty good. best comparison would be nick lee coming out. nothing flashy. could use some polish on his attacks, but has a lot of "want to" and wrestles hard through every position. was surprised at how much he bullied paddy there (though i'm not as high on paddy as others; old for his grade and physically matured early, don't find his skills to be overly dynamic).

i think haines is going to be really good. i can't decide how good, how quickly yet. i think he might need a couple years before he's truly elite, like nick lee, where his skills need to catch up to the intangibles that make him a pain to wrestle. that high crotch aint scoring on a 157 aa this year imo. that was a pace takedown. wasn't pretty, but he earned it in the previous 6:30. but he could probably step in and place next year. i like his trajectory too. clearly getting better and better.
Stop back handing out wrestlers. Say "It's too bad he's not eligible because otherwise he would beat David Carr, with a 4 point turn at some point"

In reality, fantastic analysis and I 100% agree. I'd hope nobody thinks he's AA level right now but he's exceeded my expectations big time so far.

I have a sneaking suspicion that coach Phil is going to be a big big PSU hater these next 5 years or so. And I don’t think he will even try to hide it. Agree, Paddy I think will be very good but happy we have Levi!
Coach Phil has a good sense of humor. I think we will have a good time going back and forth with him for the next few years...of course, the family is always welcome in Happy Valley! :cool: #nevertoolate

It’ll be very interesting to see how those 8 will be ranked after their college careers are done.
Shirting or lack thereof will likely turn this list sideways.

Of those top 8 guys, Henson and Rojas seem the most likely to shirt based upon their teams' lineups. Maybe also Mendez. The rest seem likely to start next year.

Coach Phil has a good sense of humor. I think we will have a good time going back and forth with him for the next few years...of course, the family is always welcome in Happy Valley! :cool: #nevertoolate
Yeah, I hope he makes it over here eventually. Seems like a good guy. Still think PSU wrestling is gonna drive him nuts tho. Lol

He admitted he was wrong and did it humorously. Seems like a funny guy that we would love if he was a parent of one of our guys. Doubt he makes it over here since I'm sure HR has convinced him we'll just attack him nonstop if he ever does but hope he knows he's welcome and that isn't the case.

Reactions: hlstone
Levi's win over Cerniglia is still obviously his most impressive of the year. Paddy might be the bigger name since he was the #1 recruit in 2021. He was well on his way to at least majoring a Top 20 kid. Transitive property doesn't work in wrestling but if you want comparable results, the only people who have majored him is Brady (1st match of 2021) Jacori Teemer at NCAAs last year and Josh Humphreys (who easily looks like an AA this year)

If this was the major league baseball draft, he would be going number 1 based on the age difference.
It amazes me when people downplay this. I remember people gushing about ND football recruit Jimmy Clausen - best prospect since Elway. Well, it’s easy to look good when you’re almost 20 throwing against 15 year old DBs.

Don’t tell me their grade nowadays. How old are they is more important. Typical Flo headline - “8th grader destroying the competition!” (fine print - 8th grader is almost 16).

Levi's trajectory is a good example of why Cael waits a bit until he really contacts kids often. Crookham was viewed as a totally different level of a prospect than him at one point. Same grade and Crookham I believe majored him at states. Crookham was way more physically developed early.

Only thing is, he’s 1 (if not 2) years younger, AND doubt CStar beat anyone of Gallagher’s level.

I’m just sayin lol.
Carter beat Army's Ben Harvey at the Scuffle. Harvey was a 2x R12 when they met.

He also beat 2 other returning qualifiers (RIchards and Carey), plus a 4th guy who qualified that year (Siegrist). And he beat Foca.

Levi's trajectory is a good example of why Cael waits a bit until he really contacts kids often. Crookham was viewed as a totally different level of a prospect than him at one point. Same grade and Crookham I believe majored him at states. Crookham was way more physically developed early.
Cael was in touch with Crookham early. It didn't work out for PSU.

True that Levi has come way up the curve in the past 2 years. But hard to tell where Crookham would've been -- he missed last year for injury and opted out this year.

Cael was in touch with Crookham early. It didn't work out for PSU.

True that Levi has come way up the curve in the past 2 years. But hard to tell where Crookham would've been -- he missed last year for injury and opted out this year.
Oh I know we wanted Crookham. He was set on Lehigh for a long time. Priorities are academics and it's just so close to home (and Santoro is a fantastic developer) But it's hard to say they aren't at least on the same level as prospects at this point though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT