ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Open

I think Nick Lee redshirts because it is highly unlikely we need him next year. We should enter next season with 7 guys ranked top 3... Suriano, Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Hall, Nickal, and Nevills. 4 of those will be ranked #1...Suriano, Zain, Nolf, and Nickal. If we need points from Nick Lee in 2018, something went really wrong.

Agree, but I think if Nick is the best option at 41, he goes. Just a hunch.

Agree, but I think if Nick is the best option at 41, he goes. Just a hunch.

He might, but since Cael has been here we have only wrestled true freshmen when their points were needed. There have been a ton of examples of guys redshirting even tho they were the best guy at the weight. Btw i'm of the belief Hall is wrestling in part because we need his points, so lets not restart that fire.

Reactions: tikk10
He might, but since Cael has been here we have only wrestled true freshmen when their points were needed. There have been a ton of examples of guys redshirting even tho they were the best guy at the weight. Btw i'm of the belief Hall is wrestling in part because we need his points, so lets not restart that fire.

I think your right, as the crystal ball is still hazy about March. That being said Im sure there will be a post or 2 if we win the NC by more than Hall brings to the table.

My personal belief (not that it matters) is the staff did the right thing by pulling the shirt. But my opinion is based in the future not the present. Mark wrestles A LOT. its hard to think that his body wont break down at some point and may need the RS to rest. This allows for that. Also, by not RS now, we get the max out of mark now, as maybe we dont need his points in a future year and can rest him to allow someone like Manville to enter the lineup.

I think down the road Cael, Mark and others will look very smart in doing what they did.

Just like they are now by sitting Nico, Nolf, Bo and Zain when they did. They took a lot of arrows from the annoymous wrestling hoard, but in the end it has worked out just as planned.

To me, Bo Pipher looks like someone who could outgrow 141, but maybe he is a sleeper to start if redshirting Nick was the decision.

Hmmmm... a summer in the PSU college room will go a long way, but Nick might be more of a RS candidate than I originally thought. Especially when you consider how tough that weight will be.
This is crazy. The kid is effectively wrestling college tournaments as a high school guy. The physical side of things is the hardest part to overcome and he will have 8 months to get his body ready. Nothing about this kid shows me he doesn't have a high trajectory. I feel like on this board we forget that just because you don't take a RS in year 1, it doesn't mean you can't take it ever again.

Reactions: Afw6006

I think I agree with you, looking back. I'd probably add 'maybe didn't have a national qualifying backup' to 'needed the points.' But yeah: Nico, Andrew Alton, Zain, McIntosh.

But looking at the present and the future, I think we've entered the era Cael's been wanting to create since he first arrived: a competitive room where the elite wrestlers make the majority of the lineup decisions. Nickal wanted to bump to 184; Cael didn't make him cut (rumors of how that all went down preseason notwithstanding), he let him challenge McCutcheon. Mark Hall wanted to wrestle this year; Cael let him challenge Morelli, then repeatedly said it was Hall's decision.

If Nick Lee has taken the extreme steps of physically moving to State College, finishing High School remotely and early, and is now entering college-level Opens, all to prepare himself to be ready to go as a TRFR, and he wants to challenge Moss or whoever else is around post-Gulibon...Cael's gonna let him. If Nick Lee is the best and really wants to go--and all signs at this point sure point to that--Cael's not gonna force a top-down, 'I'm the Boss' decision to shirt on Lee & his family.

I agree, if Nick asks to wrestle off, and if he wins to not redshirt, Cael wouldn't stop him. My response was more to the ''if he is the best 141 in the room he will wrestle'' argument. Being the best at a weight isn't a guarantee to go as a true freshman.

Do most people think Cenzo stays 165 for 3 more years? Odds are he might be looking at a move to 174 come his senior season. That would match up with Hall taking a RS in 2019-2020 to prepare for the Olympic Trials. Cenzo wrestling at 174 as a SR, w/ Manville sliding in at 165 could be a possibility...

Do most people think Cenzo stays 165 for 3 more years? Odds are he might be looking at a move to 174 come his senior season. That would match up with Hall taking a RS in 2019-2020 to prepare for the Olympic Trials. Cenzo wrestling at 174 as a SR, w/ Manville sliding in at 165 could be a possibility...

I think we all know that Manville will make the cut to 141 next year. Right guys?

Guys?

I don't believe we will see Vincenzo wrestling anything higher than 165.

Reactions: Grass
Cenzo stays 165. He doesn't seem like someone who will need to move up, and a taller/longer class might not make sense.

Manville more likely 174 than 165. The recent tourney at 86 kg / 189 lb ... he likes to challenge himself, but that seems like a huge one if 65 kg / 163 lb were attainable.

Agree, he'd look like Pletcher at 74 (IMHO). :D
Pletcher would look like that mug shot picture of Cuvo at 174. ;)

I know what you meant. It's just the first read I was Pletcher at 74? Wow.

I am still not convinced Nolf and Vincenzo don't trade weights next year.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Pletcher would look like that mug shot picture of Cuvo at 174. ;)

I know what you meant. It's just the first read I was Pletcher at 74? Wow.

I am still not convinced Nolf and Vincenzo don't trade weights next year.

Whoa, really? Even with Cenzo's missed 157 weigh-ins, last year?

ADVERTISEMENT