ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Ruth to Illinois

Winning the Hodge isn't just about how good you are, but also what other wrestlers are competing for the Hodge. The Hodge winners the years Ed won NCAA titles were some all-time greats--4x winner Dake and David Taylor. You could make a case for Ed's Sr year (over Taylor), but Ed did have a loss to Gabe Dean that year, which probably put him out of the running that year. Bad luck for Ed who he had to compete against for the Hodge. His career would certainly have merited a Hodge!
Jason Nolf agrees………

Respectfully disagree. I think he's been considered by many around here to be in the Top 5 of All time PSU greats. I, for one, would definitely agree. He's awesome. Maybe the lack of responses in this thread is because we're not surprised, and because he's just another in a very recent group of our guys to get picked up to go coach somewhere else, which is an awesome feat. Congrats to him and wish him the best.
I agree and Ruth walking away from wrestling to do MMA has also contributed to the out of sight out of mind whereas guys like Taylor and Zain continued to wrestle free style in the limelight so to speak

Funny story why Ruth came to Penn State ... and why he stayed:

Man, usually love Bader but he dropped the ball so much there. A Goldmine of answers from Ed there. Must watch video lol.

I saw Ed Ruth as a Sophomore make waves at the state tourney. In the quarters he knocked off Thad Frick, who was a returning finalist. Then in the semi's he had a barnburner against Q Wright - a fabulous bout, one of my favorite in PIAA history (and I've been going there a LONG time.) He was so relaxed and so wild. And even then Q was a favorite of mine because he loved to wrestle - a smile on his face winning or losing back then. Quentin won that bout something like 9-6.
Ed should be a great coach. Yes he was strong and his arms were long. But his technique was flawless.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT