ADVERTISEMENT

Early signing period?

Anyone find it odd Penn State hasn’t acknowledged the signees?

Every other school sends out tweets showing their new signees with theeir new team saying welcome or something like that?

Just wondering why PSU doesn’t do that. This is a huge accomplishment for these kids and I don’t think it would take much for PSU wrestling to tweet out a little something on each signee showing appreciation

The Beard signing was buried in that article posted above.

Reactions: Media Fan

Every other school sends out tweets showing their new signees with theeir new team saying welcome or something like that?

Just wondering why PSU doesn’t do that. This is a huge accomplishment for these kids and I don’t think it would take much for PSU wrestling to tweet out a little something on each signee showing appreciation
Why send out anything before the end of the signing period? Additionally, Cael will probably send out a group statement rather than individually point out recruits, as he is about team and not individuals. The problem with individual statements is what if one statement seems more glowing than another, then you have heartburn on the athlete's or parent's part where none should exist.

Cody answered this very question on Sunday. They (the coaches) don't differentiate between the highest rated blue-chipper they get and the room guy brought in with the hopes of improving and some day hitting the mats in a dual for Penn State, during the recruiting process. Just the way it's done. No hoopla, which is fine, imo.

Why send out anything before the end of the signing period? Additionally, Cael will probably send out a group statement rather than individually point out recruits, as he is about team and not individuals. The problem with individual statements is what if one statement seems more glowing than another, then you have heartburn on the athlete's or parent's part where none should exist.

I’m not saying to have one more glowing than another. Just an acknowledgment like every other school does.

Cody answered this very question on Sunday. They (the coaches) don't differentiate between the highest rated blue-chipper they get and the room guy brought in with the hopes of improving and some day hitting the mats in a dual for Penn State, during the recruiting process. Just the way it's done. No hoopla, which is fine, imo.

AppreciAte the info. I wasnt looking for “hoopla”. I guess I’m coming from a different point of view.

If my kid worked his tail off all his life and then got signed by the best it would be nice to get acknowledgment when they sign.

Penn1985 above made a point about waiting till end of signing period to put out statement. I guess that’s end of day today

AppreciAte the info. I wasnt looking for “hoopla”. I guess I’m coming from a different point of view.

If my kid worked his tail off all his life and then got signed by the best it would be nice to get acknowledgment when they sign.

Penn1985 above made a point about waiting till end of signing period to put out statement. I guess that’s end of day today
We'll see, though my point wasn't just about NLI signings and any announcement from Penn State. Not everyone gets financial aid, so not all kids will sign an NLI. Again, no differentiation between any of the kids recruited for a class.

... when a young man signs his NLI the high school usually has a public announcement and write-up...
...it is certainly good publicity for the school to highlight their athletic achievements...
...likewise when they do well at Penn State we will publicly recognize their athletic and academic progress... :)

PSU used to put out a press report in April once the entire class was committed but I don't remember them officially acknowledging the incoming class at all in recent years. I just checked last April and last November and there was no official announcement from PSU.

it seems like most of the other sports have had an article on gopsusports.com about their early signing period commits. i know i've seen basketball, baseball, field hockey, and women's gymnastics at least

not sure where to put this.....here seems like a good place.

Our recruits know we're not like every other school.

I wasn't sure what to think of Eggum as the Goofer head coach.
I think it is beginning to look like a solid choice.
Yup. Could return to what they were - largely understated guys for the most part who wrestle really hard, but complemented by a true superstar in GS. I’m definitely keeping my eye on them.

Eggum seems like a good guy as well.

Reactions: PAWRESTLINGFAN1
I wasn't sure what to think of Eggum as the Goofer head coach.
I think it is beginning to look like a solid choice.
agreed. He was put in a crappy position and made the best of it. Now as the man he is on top of his game. not to mention the state of minnesODA keeps putting out studs which helps alot. I just dont see them recruiting nationally on a yuks, hawks, cowboys or PSU level.

and if he ever gets a 3" binder watch the heck out....

#docoldtempsand100sofinchesofsnowcountasnegativerecruiting???

Reactions: Sullivan

PSU doesn't acknowledge the wrestling NLI's because there is still a high probability that the recruits will all flip to the Hawkeyes.

#nevercountyoureggsb4theyarechamps

Eggum pulled in a great class this year. Excited for our future with him and staff at the helm.

PSU with another monster class as well.

My opinion on the discussion. Announce each kid. Good publicity for the school and nice recognition for the kids.

Reactions: bdv and pish69
Eggum pulled in a great class this year. Excited for our future with him and staff at the helm.

PSU with another monster class as well.

My opinion on the discussion. Announce each kid. Good publicity for the school and nice recognition for the kids.
grapp....whats the rumor mill saying about Gable RS next year?

After the Beard greyshirt coming out in the public. I come back to this thread.

Many thought Beard signed when he didn’t.

Has there been anything put out by Penn State saying who has signed officially?

Reactions: pish69
Penn State did not put out anything official. However, the CDT did run an article:

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article183506671.html

Thanks..so based on that article..those 3 are confirmed and signed their NLI. So nothing on J Lee, Teske or Beard (other than his comments that he may greyshirt).

Based on Flo's new rankings..our only signed wrestler to make P4P top 14 is Nevills at #12. Jese Teadsale and Bravo Young must stink!;)

Reactions: alton11
Thanks..so based on that article..those 3 are confirmed and signed their NLI. So nothing on J Lee, Teske or Beard (other than his comments that he may greyshirt).

Based on Flo's new rankings..our only signed wrestler to make P4P top 14 is Nevills at #12. Jese Teadsale and Bravo Young must stink!;)

The CDT did a follow-up story with Teske:

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article187222148.html

As you are probably aware, Lee is already with the NLWC.

Last edited:
Reactions: pish69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT