ADVERTISEMENT

Early CFB Playoff rankings

Beachwineguy

Aug 21, 2008
Florida
www.dperrine.myhst.com
I know it’s still a couple of weeks before the initial College Football Playoff rankings come out, but I’d be interested to see what people think they will look like the first week.

I’m guessing Cincy isn’t in the top four, which will make the talking heads explode, but when you look at the teams they’ve played, there’s only one team worth anything on their schedule (ND).

I would have:
1) Georgia
2) Oklahoma - only because they look more complete with Caleb Williams at QB.
3) Alabama
4) Ohio State
5) Oklahoma State
6) Cincinnati
7) Penn State
8) Michigan
9) Ole Miss
10) Michigan State

Reactions: ScottH
If osu is that high it means they beat us prior to the first release and as a two loss team I doubt we are 7th. Michigan and MSU play on the 30th as well. Winner of that game will be ahead of the loser of PSU/OSU.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
If Cincinatti goes undefeated and they don't get in, the entire thing is a farce (well duh). They'll be #2 in the overall polls and left out? Lol.

Would you put them in ahead of a one loss Bama and Georgia team? How about a one loss Ohio State? Or an undefeated Oklahoma? I wouldn’t.
Agree about a one-loss Georgia or one-loss Alabama getting in over a Cincy. Same for a one-loss OSU/PSU/Mich/MSU. I think for Cincy's sake, they should be rooting for the following:
  1. Oklahoma loses once
  2. Georgia beats Alabama in SEC CG - giving Alabama two losses
  3. Oregon continues to struggle or even loses another

A
Agree about a one-loss Georgia or one-loss Alabama getting in over a Cincy. Same for a one-loss OSU/PSU/Mich/MSU. I think for Cincy's sake, they should be rooting for the following:
  1. Oklahoma loses once
  2. Georgia beats Alabama in SEC CG - giving Alabama two losses
  3. Oregon continues to struggle or even loses another
Agreed….they are going to need some help. When other teams have multiple quality wins and your team has one, I don’t think it’s enough to get you into the playoffs.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma
4. Cincinnati
5. Alabama
6. Oklahoma State
7. Penn State
8. Michigan
9. Oregon
10. Coastal Carolina

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma
4. Cincinnati
5. Alabama
6. Oklahoma State
7. Penn State
8. Michigan
9. Oregon
10. Coastal Carolina
1. Georgia
2. Oklahoma
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Cincy
6. Oklahoma State
7. Michigan
8. Penn State
9. Oregon
10. MSU

If osu is that high it means they beat us prior to the first release and as a two loss team I doubt we are 7th. Michigan and MSU play on the 30th as well. Winner of that game will be ahead of the loser of PSU/OSU.

Actually, I think he's trying to project if the first poll were released this week, not projecting what the first poll will look like. But given that 4 b1g East members would likely occupy 4 of the 5 spots from 4 to 8 if the poll were released this week, it is irrelevant where each of the 4 are as they all play one another over the next several weeks. If one of the 4 occupy the number 4 spot, it is more relevant than where each is individually imho.

Reactions: Beachwineguy
Actually, I think he's trying to project if the first poll were released this week, not projecting what the first poll will look like. But given that 4 b1g East members would likely occupy 4 of the 5 spots from 4 to 8 if the poll were released this week, it is irrelevant where each of the 4 are as they all play one another over the next several weeks. If one of the 4 occupy the number 4 spot, it is more relevant than where each is individually imho.

That's exactly what he's asking "I’d be interested to see what people think they will look like the first week." Seems pretty clear he was talking about what the first poll on 11/2 is going to be and not this week.

Agree its irrelevant for the most part since things will work themselves out as games are played. What will be interesting is where the top big ten team slots in relation to Cinci/OU/Oregon/Bama.

If Cincinatti goes undefeated and they don't get in, the entire thing is a farce (well duh). They'll be #2 in the overall polls and left out? Lol.
If Cincy this year and any GO5 team ever gets in they should get in as the 4 seed and have to play 1.

Seems pretty clear he was talking about what the first poll on 11/2 is going to be and not this week.

Impossible to predict 11/2 today because at least 4 of these teams play themselves between now and then.

No idea how the committee will handle Cincy. I think they will keep them at 4 every release and drop them to 5 after ccg weekend if they wish. Who knows, they may have them at 9 or 10.

Oregon is probably the team in the best position. Easiest path forward when it comes to winning out. Their loss was in OT, without their OC, and they have the best win of the current top 10.

UGA is Bama this year. I don't like it, but if their only loss is in the ccg they are still in.

I see Cincy slipping as the season goes on when the 1/0 loss teams start piling on impressive wins and Cincy continues to play no one. However, if they are undeafeated, they could sneak in at #4 if some things work out in their favor (Alabama losing again for example)

I see Cincy slipping as the season goes on when the 1/0 loss teams start piling on impressive wins and Cincy continues to play no one. However, if they are undeafeated, they could sneak in at #4 if some things work out in their favor (Alabama losing again for example)
Don’t sleep on SMU vs Cincy on 11/20. They have been playing some good football and their QB is an OU transfer.

nothing else matters except winning every game left. do that and nothing else matters, they will be in.

I know it’s still a couple of weeks before the initial College Football Playoff rankings come out, but I’d be interested to see what people think they will look like the first week.

I’m guessing Cincy isn’t in the top four, which will make the talking heads explode, but when you look at the teams they’ve played, there’s only one team worth anything on their schedule (ND).

I would have:
1) Georgia
2) Oklahoma - only because they look more complete with Caleb Williams at QB.
3) Alabama
4) Ohio State
5) Oklahoma State
6) Cincinnati
7) Penn State
8) Michigan
9) Ole Miss
10) Michigan State
I was feeling pretty good before PJ and Sean went out. If Sean winds up out for several weeks, I am not sure where we wind up. no game on the schedule would be a sure win.

Curious OP why you cite Cincy’s schedule to date being a weakness but not OSU’s? OSU has played only one team worth anything (Oregon) and lost, not only at home but by double digits. Meanwhile Cincy’s one good win was on the road. Seems for now the two should be reversed.

Auburn is going to beat Bama..

I am not impressed with Bama this year, Florida who isn't that great should have beaten them, Texas A&m isn't that great beat them.

BTW, If A&M loses again and Ole Miss slips up, Bama could have 0 ranked wins.

Curious OP why you cite Cincy’s schedule to date being a weakness but not OSU’s? OSU has played only one team worth anything (Oregon) and lost, not only at home but by double digits. Meanwhile Cincy’s one good win was on the road. Seems for now the two should be reversed.
Strength of Schedule. According to Sagarin, Ohio State’s is 59th, while Cincinnati is 93rd. Also, Ohio State (over the more recent weeks) has looked more impressive against Power Five teams.

Auburn is going to beat Bama..

I am not impressed with Bama this year, Florida who isn't that great should have beaten them, Texas A&m isn't that great beat them.

BTW, If A&M loses again and Ole Miss slips up, Bama could have 0 ranked wins.
Last I checked even if A&M finished ranked they still would not qualify as a ranked win for the Crimson Tide.

OSU lost to Oregon 35-28 and basically shot themselves in the foot several times behind Stroud. OSU put up 600+ yards of offense but that crappy defense didn't help that day

OSU lost by double digits?? What game did you watch pal ? 35-28 differential isn’t double digits Play that game today and OSU would win by double digits.

I have never understood the cfp rankings that come out in October or early November. Do they mean who would I put in now? Well, how is that any different than the preseason ranking.I heard talk radio talk about number 2 cincy being left out. Well if Bama and osu or psu and Oklahoma run the table, cincy has no business being number 2 when all is said and done. So why put it out there? Purely hype and media ratings etc.

Agreed….they are going to need some help. When other teams have multiple quality wins and your team has one, I don’t think it’s enough to get you into the playoffs.
Not to mention, other than ND the rest of their schedule is ridiculously easy.

Reactions: AWS1022
ADVERTISEMENT