ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles game yesterday

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
I had to wash my hair so I missed it- but I have to ask wtf is going on there? Wentz' stats are terrible and 0-2-1 isn't an impressive start by aby means. Is it all injuries, or is something else at play here?

I had to wash my hair so I missed it- but I have to ask wtf is going on there? Wentz' stats are terrible and 0-2-1 isn't an impressive start by aby means. Is it all injuries, or is something else at play here?
Regardless of injuries, they aint any good. last several drafts have not been good. Time to blow it up,

Reactions: WestSideLion
In State College, it was not on TV because the Steeler also had a 1:00 PM game. As a result, they televised the Washington Cleveland game. Sort of glad because they suck. The rumors about Wentz that surfaced when they let Foles go were apparently true. They should have traded Wentz to Chicago for Foles and Robinson(I know pipe dream but one has to have dreams...). It is going to be a long season for the birds fans but at least they are playing football and we can watch it.

JMO but there were some horrible decisions by the Eagles HC. Specifically the last few drives of the game and the ones in OT or at least not attempting a 62 yrd FG or heck I would have been ok with a bomb to the EZ. Punting and going for the tie was an epic fail.
I don't know if its all on Wentz though he's got no help from his coaches and only has Sanders and Ertz as go to's.

JMO but there were some horrible decisions by the Eagles HC. Specifically the last few drives of the game and the ones in OT or at least not attempting a 62 yrd FG or heck I would have been ok with a bomb to the EZ. Punting and going for the tie was an epic fail.
I don't know if its all on Wentz though he's got no help from his coaches and only has Sanders and Ertz as go to's.

From what I have read and gather Wentz is all out of whack and really misses the qb coaches from their super bowl year Reich and DeFilippo.

Reactions: BBrown
OTOH a tie puts the Eagles 1/2 out of first place, a loss wouldnt have helped.

Did Cincy have any TOs left? I guess the fear was that if the long FG comes up short, it puts the Bungle one short pass from being in Bullock's range. Still, that means 3 things would have to go right for Cincy to win so I agree that the long FG for the Eagles might have been worth trying.

they are a bad football team

From what I have read and gather Wentz is all out of whack and really misses the qb coaches from their super bowl year Reich and DeFilippo.
The OL had been a strength and has quickly unraveled this season. Last year, Wentz had no skill position support, but the OL was still good. That bought him time to make due. We are seeing the results of a speedy roster decline this year. It’s time to blow it up.

The OL had been a strength and has quickly unraveled this season. Last year, Wentz had no skill position support, but the OL was still good. That bought him time to make due. We are seeing the results of a speedy roster decline this year. It’s time to blow it up.
I think thats an over reaction. I still do not understand why they have all the injuries though. I heard both DG and DJax were out of the game as well. Right now the 2 guys playing OG are not championship caliber, JP is a shadow of his former self. Lots of QBs would struggle behind that bunch.

lots to unpack here with the Eagles.

#1: Injuries: yeah, some people call it an excuse, others call it a reason. count me in group 2. lose your all pro RG, solid LG, your RT starts the season with an injury and plays week 2 and 3 at less than 100%, your LT was over the hill 3 years ago, and you're gonna be in a world of mess. Add to that, 3 of your top 4 WRs (Alshon, DJAX, Reagor) are injured, and you're left with JJAW (admittedly is looking like a miss, but i'm willing to give him this season to come through), Greg Ward (big time HIT), and Hightower (rookie) to try to give wentz targets. When you don't have protection, and don't have skill players to get open, you're in for a tough day.

#2: Coaching: I haven't seen Douggie P do ANYTHING to help get the ball out of Wentz's hands faster. He's still trying to call long developing pass plays when the OL can't protect wentz and the WRs can't get open. Add to that, their OVER-RELIANCE on 12 personnel, and it pretty much makes them 1 dimensional and easy for a D to defend. Not to mention, his seeming lack of willingness to stick with the run. Miles played a great game yesterday but he only had 18 carries. Let booby run! And let's not forget (and some have touched on it) why the hell was he coaching seemingly to get to the red line in OT? I mean Elliot played a great game, but why didn't he want to get him closer than his outer range? i mean i get not leaving much time on the clock in case of a missed FG but that was RIDICULOUS!

#3: Wentz: I have no idea what's going on with him. He bulked up in the offseason, it was a shortened offseason, he signed a huge extension in the offseason (added pressure), Hurts, lack of protection, lack of skill players.... the list goes on. Again, not listing EXCUSES, listing what could be REASONS. Personally, I think it's the yips. He's the type of person that is generally a kind person (read, not a diva). he likes to do good by people, so i think he's allowing his contract to put a SHIT TON of pressure on his shoulders. Add to that, the pressure of Hurts being drafted. Add to that, the injuries and his much shorter offseason not allowing him to develop chemistry with his skill players. Yeah he's got chemistry with Ertz (which showed with that GORGEOUS over the shoulder catch in the 4th) and clearly he's got chemistry with Ward, but defenses generally double Ertz. I'll say that this game he looked MUCH better than against the REDSKINS (that's right, I said it) and Rams. Still has issues, but i think he's working through them. His drive (granted aided by PIs) in the 4th showed me something.

Here are some positives:

- 8 sacks by the D
- Slay looks every bit the part of a shutdown corner
- Wentz's completion percentage is getting better each game
- It's the NFC E, so even at 0-2-1, they're not out of it

As this team gets healthier, they're going to get better. As they continue to play, they're going to get better. Calling for the HC and GM to get fired 3 years after assembling a team that won the SB is crazy talk.

I think thats an over reaction. I still do not understand why they have all the injuries though. I heard both DG and DJax were out of the game as well. Right now the 2 guys playing OG are not championship caliber, JP is a shadow of his former self. Lots of QBs would struggle behind that bunch.
I think we are saying the same thing. An healthy, dominant OL allowed Wentz to function with makeshift skill guys. Now he has a shell of that and is playing poorly.

lots to unpack here with the Eagles.

#1: Injuries: yeah, some people call it an excuse, others call it a reason. count me in group 2. lose your all pro RG, solid LG, your RT starts the season with an injury and plays week 2 and 3 at less than 100%, your LT was over the hill 3 years ago, and you're gonna be in a world of mess. Add to that, 3 of your top 4 WRs (Alshon, DJAX, Reagor) are injured, and you're left with JJAW (admittedly is looking like a miss, but i'm willing to give him this season to come through), Greg Ward (big time HIT), and Hightower (rookie) to try to give wentz targets. When you don't have protection, and don't have skill players to get open, you're in for a tough day.

#2: Coaching: I haven't seen Douggie P do ANYTHING to help get the ball out of Wentz's hands faster. He's still trying to call long developing pass plays when the OL can't protect wentz and the WRs can't get open. Add to that, their OVER-RELIANCE on 12 personnel, and it pretty much makes them 1 dimensional and easy for a D to defend. Not to mention, his seeming lack of willingness to stick with the run. Miles played a great game yesterday but he only had 18 carries. Let booby run! And let's not forget (and some have touched on it) why the hell was he coaching seemingly to get to the red line in OT? I mean Elliot played a great game, but why didn't he want to get him closer than his outer range? i mean i get not leaving much time on the clock in case of a missed FG but that was RIDICULOUS!

#3: Wentz: I have no idea what's going on with him. He bulked up in the offseason, it was a shortened offseason, he signed a huge extension in the offseason (added pressure), Hurts, lack of protection, lack of skill players.... the list goes on. Again, not listing EXCUSES, listing what could be REASONS. Personally, I think it's the yips. He's the type of person that is generally a kind person (read, not a diva). he likes to do good by people, so i think he's allowing his contract to put a SHIT TON of pressure on his shoulders. Add to that, the pressure of Hurts being drafted. Add to that, the injuries and his much shorter offseason not allowing him to develop chemistry with his skill players. Yeah he's got chemistry with Ertz (which showed with that GORGEOUS over the shoulder catch in the 4th) and clearly he's got chemistry with Ward, but defenses generally double Ertz. I'll say that this game he looked MUCH better than against the REDSKINS (that's right, I said it) and Rams. Still has issues, but i think he's working through them. His drive (granted aided by PIs) in the 4th showed me something.

Here are some positives:

- 8 sacks by the D
- Slay looks every bit the part of a shutdown corner
- Wentz's completion percentage is getting better each game
- It's the NFC E, so even at 0-2-1, they're not out of it

As this team gets healthier, they're going to get better. As they continue to play, they're going to get better. Calling for the HC and GM to get fired 3 years after assembling a team that won the SB is crazy talk.
I think Doug is absolutely safe. He’s been to the playoffs two straight years after winning a Super Bowl. He has a long leash.

Howie has been a bonafide disaster after really getting lucky in 2017. His draft misses, alone, slammed the contention window shut for this franchise.

They realistically have to rebuild at this point. The roster is old, injury prone, expensive and has holes at many positional groups. Even if the OL comes back healthy next year, they likely need a LT and possibly a C.

A rebuild may keep Howie safe at this point. Sell Lurie on a 2-3 year plan.

Reactions: cment
It would have been a 64 yard FG. I’d say that punting was the obvious move.
Well, he might have made it. What was a punt going to accomplish? They were 0-2. I'd also like to ask the OP, how long does it take to wash your hair?

Well, he might have made it. What was a punt going to accomplish? They were 0-2. I'd also like to ask the OP, how long does it take to wash your hair?
At 64 yards, you’re taking a huge risk of it getting blocked, or getting returned for a TD. Those seem more likely than Elliott hitting a 64 yarder. 0-2-1 is better than 0-3.

I think Doug is absolutely safe. He’s been to the playoffs two straight years after winning a Super Bowl. He has a long leash.

Howie has been a bonafide disaster after really getting lucky in 2017. His draft misses, alone, slammed the contention window shut for this franchise.

They realistically have to rebuild at this point. The roster is old, injury prone, expensive and has holes at many positional groups. Even if the OL comes back healthy next year, they likely need a LT and possibly a C.

A rebuild may keep Howie safe at this point. Sell Lurie on a 2-3 year plan.

Agree Doug is safe without a doubt. Although his coaching decisions are becoming a little questionable. That said, I think in a season like this, you almost have to chalk anything out of the ordinary up to a COVID season. None of us have any idea the true impact of a shortened offseason and no preseason on not only the physical side but the mental side of things.

Howie on the other hand, needs to be re-evaluated. I think he caught lightning in a bottle in '17 and it went to his head. He's been trying to do the same ever since. Some of his draft picks have been reaches at best.

- Hurts over a CB or LB? i mean after signing Wentz, was QB a position of need?
- Davion Taylor at LBer? (maybe he and Wallace could be hybrid S/LBers? i dunno...)
- 2017 as a whole?

HOWEVER, he HAS done well as a whole i think.

- the 17 draft was TERRIBLE. Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglas, Mack Hollins, Donnell Pumphrey, Shelton Gibson, Nate Gerry, Elijah Qualls
- 18 draft was better. Goedert, Maddox, Josh Sweat, Pryor, Mailata
- 19 Draft was questionable. Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Shareef Miller, Thorson
- 20 Draft shows promise. Reagor (i like), Hurts (we'll see), Davion Taylor (project. too early), K'Von Wallace (really like him), Jack Driscoll (promise before injury), Hightower (like him), Shaun Bradley, Quez Watkins, Prince, Toohill

I don't necessarily know about a rebuild. especially not a large-scale one. Maybe an internal one. They are old at starter at some spots, but backups are young and look pretty promising. Not to mention the cost of these contracts. Namely Alshon

If you look at the OL, Peters was done 3 years ago and Dillard is a big question mark, so i'll say maybe there, but at LG Seumalo is fine and will probably move to C to replace Kelce. That puts LG as an opening and i've been pretty impressed with Herbig there. RG is Brooks when healthy and RT is Lane but he's getting a little long in the tooth but in limited time before his injury, Driscoll looked pretty good there. I think the OL of the future looks like: Dillard (maybe), Herbig, Seumalo, Brooks, Driscoll. Mailata isn't the answer. Pryor is looking more and more to be a solid backup and swing guard. so maybe a long term replacement for Brooks since he's 32

Skill positions are young and SOLID. Reagor looked great when he played, the more I see Ward play the slot the more impressed I am with him, Hightower got rave reviews during training camp, and Miles is IT at RB. JJAW looks like a lost cause at this point, but i'm not ready to label him as a bust just yet. I want to see what he does this year.

DT is set. period. although they could use some DE youth. Graham and Curry are one foot out the door (although Graham is still VERY productive). Barnett and Sweat make me happy there, and hargrave and jackson CAN move outside in a pinch, but they need another young DE stud. Maybe Howie thought he'd get in on the DE FA frenzy this offseason? struck out there though.

LBer is a disaster. I don't know why Jim doesn't realize you can't patchwork ANY position in the NFL. Jenkins masked that when he was at S but with him gone it's a glaring issue.

McLeod is a very good S but Mills isn't the answer opposite him. Do they move K'Von Wallace to SS?

Overall, i'm not thinking a full on rebuild. maybe the LB position. Let's be honest, if the injuries hadn't ravaged the team, I think we'd be in a much better place. Injuries in red

OL: Dillard (maybe), Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson
WR: Jackson, Reagor, Ward
RB: Sanders
TE: Ertz/Goedert
QB: Wentz

Agree Doug is safe without a doubt. Although his coaching decisions are becoming a little questionable. That said, I think in a season like this, you almost have to chalk anything out of the ordinary up to a COVID season. None of us have any idea the true impact of a shortened offseason and no preseason on not only the physical side but the mental side of things.

Howie on the other hand, needs to be re-evaluated. I think he caught lightning in a bottle in '17 and it went to his head. He's been trying to do the same ever since. Some of his draft picks have been reaches at best.

- Davion Taylor at LBer? (maybe he and Wallace could be hybrid S/LBers? i dunno...)
- 2017 as a whole?

- the 17 draft was TERRIBLE. Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglas, Mack Hollins, Donnell Pumphrey, Shelton Gibson, Nate Gerry, Elijah Qualls
- 20 Draft shows promise. Reagor (i like), Hurts (we'll see), Davion Taylor (project. too early), K'Von Wallace (really like him), Jack Driscoll (promise before injury), Hightower (like him), Shaun Bradley, Quez Watkins, Prince, Toohill

I don't necessarily know about a rebuild. especially not a large-scale one. Maybe an internal one. They are old at starter at some spots, but backups are young and look pretty promising. Not to mention the cost of these contracts. Namely Alshon

If you look at the OL, Peters was done 3 years ago and Dillard is a big question mark, so i'll say maybe there, but at LG Seumalo is fine and will probably move to C to replace Kelce. That puts LG as an opening and i've been pretty impressed with Herbig there. RG is Brooks when healthy and RT is Lane but he's getting a little long in the tooth but in limited time before his injury, Driscoll looked pretty good there. I think the OL of the future looks like: Dillard (maybe), Herbig, Seumalo, Brooks, Driscoll. Mailata isn't the answer. Pryor is looking more and more to be a solid backup and swing guard. so maybe a long term replacement for Brooks since he's 32

Skill positions are young and SOLID. Reagor looked great when he played, the more I see Ward play the slot the more impressed I am with him, Hightower got rave reviews during training camp, and Miles is IT at RB. JJAW looks like a lost cause at this point, but i'm not ready to label him as a bust just yet. I want to see what he does this year.

DT is set. period. although they could use some DE youth. Graham and Curry are one foot out the door (although Graham is still VERY productive). Barnett and Sweat make me happy there, and hargrave and jackson CAN move outside in a pinch, but they need another young DE stud. Maybe Howie thought he'd get in on the DE FA frenzy this offseason? struck out there though.

LBer is a disaster. I don't know why Jim doesn't realize you can't patchwork ANY position in the NFL. Jenkins masked that when he was at S but with him gone it's a glaring issue.

McLeod is a very good S but Mills isn't the answer opposite him. Do they move K'Von Wallace to SS?

Overall, i'm not thinking a full on rebuild. maybe the LB position. Let's be honest, if the injuries hadn't ravaged the team, I think we'd be in a much better place. Injuries in red

+1 on your entire post, especially your first paragraph. That being said Adam Gase and Matt Patricia sucked even before Covid. 🤣

+1 on your entire post, especially your first paragraph. That being said Adam Gase and Matt Patricia sucked even before Covid. 🤣

but but but.... Patricia is a Belichick disciple.... and he ROCKS that pencil..... your entire post (except for the agreement with my post) is null-en-void

- 2017 as a whole?

That’s a really solid, thought-out post. We disagree in a couple of spots. On Howie, I read the below in an article about Timmy Jernigan being cut:

“He's now one of 26 players who was on the Eagles' roster at some point during 2017 who is not currently on an NFL roster.”

Here you have a GM who won a Super Bowl with a group of 53 players in 2017. Less than three years later about half of them are out of the league. If that doesn’t define luck or happenstance, I don’t know what does.

I also assign the injuries as correlated to Howie’s roster building strategy. Sign older, cheaper players at a discount and over time, you will experience more injuries. That has regressed to the mean big time in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

You make good points about the 2018 and 2020 draft classes. I think we also disagree about those young starters replacing older vets at a similar level of play. That’s especially true on the OL.

That’s a really solid, thought-out post. We disagree in a couple of spots. On Howie, I read the below in an article about Timmy Jernigan being cut:

“He's now one of 26 players who was on the Eagles' roster at some point during 2017 who is not currently on an NFL roster.”

Here you have a GM who won a Super Bowl with a group of 53 players in 2017. Less than three years later about half of them are out of the league. If that doesn’t define luck or happenstance, I don’t know what does.

I also assign the injuries as correlated to Howie’s roster building strategy. Sign older, cheaper players at a discount and over time, you will experience more injuries. That has regressed to the mean big time in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

You make good points about the 2018 and 2020 draft classes. I think we also disagree about those young starters replacing older vets at a similar level of play. That’s especially true on the OL.
#badthingshappeninPhiladelphia

Reactions: WestSideLion

First time i've heard of the 26 players thing. That's freaking crazy!

I think you're on to something with the injury and roster correlation. Granted there are young players that are injured right now (Seumalo, Reagor, Goedert) but their injuries are more "football" injuries, i.e. they were caused by being hit or being rolled up on. Brooks's Achilles, DJAX's hammy, Peters's.... body, Curry's hammy.... they're getting old. Which is what i think you're leaning towards in regards to "blowing up" the roster, yeah? dump all these older guys while they still have trade value. I wouldn't be upset to see an OL next year of L-R: Dillard, Herbig, Seumalo, Pryor, Driscoll. Cut bait with the aging OLmen and their bloated contracts, and let the OL, skill players drafted this year and Wentz grow together. Next year might be a little.... rough, but sacrifice 1 year for an entire starting OL younger than 26 and starting WRs younger than 25 (hightower, reagor, ward), that is IF they work out. Allowing that whole group 5-6 or so years to be together, to build that chemistry. then again i'm one of those people that believes in a team game, chemistry is more important than 2-3 high profile players and a bunch of scrubs. I think that's what the 17 team had. chemistry.

the D on the other hand.... That's another post for another day

and i'm not saying in any way that Peters or Lane Johnson or Brooks can be replaced with equal or greater value. At least 2 of those 3 are sure fire first ballot HOFers, and all three have arguably been "best at their position" at some point in their career. That's a pretty high bar to meet for the young guys. However I don't think there will be HUGE dropoff either. I guess it's just something to wait and see about. Stout is one hell of an OL coach, so i have faith that he can coach up some of these younger guys on the OL. Which brings up another question.... What's the deal with Mailata? He has to have dirt on someone right? i mean yeah, he's got the physical tools to be a monster, but his learning curve is still really steep. But they protected him last year AND this year by putting him on the active roster/IR for the year? Stout has to see something legit in him to "waste" a roster spot on him.

- 2017 as a whole?

I think you are the RutgersAl of eagles fans

ADVERTISEMENT