ADVERTISEMENT

Duel of Duals: Iowa vs. Ok St & USA vs Iran

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017

Taking this out of the social media thread--it seems like it's worthy of its own. To recap some of the discussion there:
  • For the freestyle, word is the A teams (roughly, who know w/ Fix) will be there, including Gable indicating interest in a match w/ new WC Zare.
  • Word is, they're also going to alternate matches between the folkstyle and freestyle. It seems like such a bad idea. I get the point--(keep the college fans butts in seats)--but both of these duals shouldn't have the drama interrupted like that. The fan experience would be better, for sure, if they didn't step on each other like that.
I do think maybe they should do folkstyle team scoring for the freestyle match. Just throw out the MD.

Reactions: backdrft76
Taking this out of the social media thread--it seems like it's worthy of its own. To recap some of the discussion there:
  • For the freestyle, word is the A teams (roughly, who know w/ Fix) will be there, including Gable indicating interest in a match w/ new WC Zare.
  • Word is, they're also going to alternate matches between the folkstyle and freestyle. It seems like such a bad idea. I get the point--(keep the college fans butts in seats)--but both of these duals shouldn't have the drama interrupted like that. The fan experience would be better, for sure, if they didn't step on each other like that.
I do think maybe they should do folkstyle team scoring for the freestyle match. Just throw out the MD.
It barely just got mentioned and it's already being complained about? I for one think this is awesome! I can't wait for it to go down

More wrestling to watch is always good in my book, but I completely get what people are complaining about.

Not sure how I would feel about this if it was the PSU/Iowa dual...

That being said, if this is the 1st step to getting more US vs the World freestyle duals, I'm in!

It barely just got mentioned and it's already being complained about? I for one think this is awesome! I can't wait for it to go down
Not really complaining, I think it’s awesome too, but optimization isn’t a bad idea, and fan analysis/speculation is kind of the point of these places.

Edit: looks like Basch agrees with me (paywall)

Last edited:
Reactions: jrod65 and danoftw
Not really complaining, I think it’s awesome too, but optimization isn’t a bad idea, and fan analysis/speculation is kind of the point of these places.

Edit: looks like Basch agrees with me (paywall)
The senior level guys should be just fine. It just might dampen some momentum for Iowa or OSU. Will be an interesting back to back comparison of styles forsure. I like it. Mix it up a bit and keep the people entertained

No worries, that will be awesome. Also a rematch of Gilman’s final, Cox’s semi (obligatory groan), and olympic gold vs world gold at 125. Just epic.
Not sure if we’ll get all those matches. Some of them, like the guys at 57 and 97 are Iran’s backups. Different guys wrestled at Olympics.

Reactions: nerfstate
This will probably flop.

Us world team isn't going to go. They need down time. The guys who will go aren't the 1st tier.

Iran isn't sending their best, maybe I'm wrong.

#allhatnocattle
#coolideaawfulexecution

Reactions: nitlion6
This will probably flop.

Us world team isn't going to go. They need down time. The guys who will go aren't the 1st tier.

Iran isn't sending their best, maybe I'm wrong.

#allhatnocattle
#coolideaawfulexecution
Yarygin is typically the last week of January.

Hard to imagine the 20 first-teamers of both countries will participate in this, 2 weeks later, regardless of what the event organizers and team officials say today.

And any team that gets an offensive point in a match gets a team point? Could go with that…although would have a problem with an escape counting towards that.

Awesome.
1. The #2 and #3 best college teams of the last decade facing off
2. The #2 and #3 best International Freestyle teams of the last decade facing off

And any team that gets an offensive point in a match gets a team point? Could go with that…although would have a problem with an escape counting towards that.
Alternatively, you could do 4 team points if you shut your opponent out (and you score 1 pt). I rarely tune into FRL anymore, but I did for a bit this morning, and they were actually talking about this. I think it'd be a good way to engage the folkstyle crowd.

What % of Americans would be bitching if the US sent a team to Iran and they bastardized the rules to entertain their home crowd? Not a good look.

Please, please don't do this. If one of the goals is to expose folkstylers to free, then show them freestyle. If it's not their cup of tea? Too bad. I just hope 1/2 the crowd doesn't boo & scream for "stalling".

Also I agree w/some above that the A teams won't be heavily repped. But it's still a great event.

Reactions: nittinsc
What % of Americans would be bitching if the US sent a team to Iran and they bastardized the rules to entertain their home crowd? Not a good look.

Please, please don't do this. If one of the goals is to expose folkstylers to free, then show them freestyle. If it's not their cup of tea? Too bad. I just hope 1/2 the crowd doesn't boo & scream for "stalling".

Also I agree w/some above that the A teams won't be heavily repped. But it's still a great event.
If Iowa fans are present, an organized rendition of "heeeeeeeeesssss sttttaaaaaaalllllliiiin" is mandatory for continued membership in club hawk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Yarygin is typically the last week of January.

Hard to imagine the 20 first-teamers of both countries will participate in this, 2 weeks later, regardless of what the event organizers and team officials say today.
looking back through results, IRI doesn't seem to have much of a presence at Yarygin. So maybe that would help. My sources tell me the deal is with both USAW and IRI that every effort will be made to send #1 guys. Tougher perhaps with US, where 3 #1's are in the midst of the NCAA season.

ADVERTISEMENT