ADVERTISEMENT

Dual (Tri) Thread: Penn State vs. Sacred Heart, Oregon State

Could someone please post the team dual scores of the matches? I'm too tired to do math after the drive back from State College. TIA.

Reactions: Treelion66
dont like star dancing like rby and what with the escape and not turning around??
The escape and not turning around, I didn't like that and I'm sure he'll get a talking to about that.

The "dancing" is literally a strategy. I know Iowa fans think it's a taunt but it's the Ali shuffle.

Max has a virtually unlimited gas tank it seems like and he always goes to work on top.

I was outside painting my house in our nice 80 degree weather so I missed the dual. How did Brandon Kaylor from OSU look today?

The way Dean looked tonight, With Hildebrandt, with Joe Lee , with Facundo, and with Kerk looking good again. This team will be a contender for the national championship! Don't want to be Mr. overhype but they really looked good tonight!!!!!
I agree that Dean looked fast, technical and aggressive. He also looked shorter and smaller than both his opponents. Perhaps that is why Beard and he are so close as per reports. Great start...but lets not pop the Champagne just yet. Either guy is going to be a threat for a top podium placement. As much as I want to go 100% homer.......I'll have to defer for now. That said....C-Star looks like the most Improved. Not bad for a National Champ. Kerk looks healthy, fast and strong. Bartlett looks aggressive but still small and short for 149. Not being able to take down #29.....a bit concerning. Joe Lee and Facundo?>>stay tuned.....hoping for the best there. All in all....a promising start.

Reactions: PSU7901
I was outside painting my house in our nice 80 degree weather so I missed the dual. How did Brandon Kaylor from OSU look today?
Thanks for the weather update.......prick :) Kaylor looked good......almost had 6 and then had a 14 point lead but got a bit gassed and Shunk gutted out a comeback to keep it to a 7 point decision- 16-9.

Thanks for the info and updates on the scores. BK lost to Lane last week and was a little annoyed with himself so I'm sure he put everything he had into that match today. Sounds like Penn State has a pretty solid line-up this year. I'm sure that the Hawks aren't going to be complacent, but we just might end up being more than they bargained for.

Reactions: NittanyChris
BK was the highlight of the dual for OSU but tired in the third. Thinking r16 this year.

I’m calling my shot - Dean is going to brutalize Jacob Warner. Leg attacks are good and he’s going to eff him up on the mat. Warner will not beat Dean with his SOP of 7 min of hand fighting
Not so fast my friend…I agree with your assessment if Dean and Warner meet, but, I think the Bearded one will win the spot 👍

Reactions: Ruby Tues
The way Dean looked tonight, With Hildebrandt, with Joe Lee , with Facundo, and with Kerk looking good again. This team will be a contender for the national championship! Don't want to be Mr. overhype but they really looked good tonight!!!!!
Just keep the faith when they look flat/sluggish in a few weeks (probably vs. Lehigh) and some guys appear to struggle. There will be a Mr. Sky Is Falling or two, plus some emotional discontent. But history tells us it is part of the process. A plan of sorts.

Kaylor gassed bad in the third. It looked like Baylor was take down drilling him.

Loved Blumer (a 141 pounder) fighting off the last TD to keep it to a major against a legit Top 15 157 pounder. That's the kind of mentality you want to see from your room guy. You could hear Cael yelling "Don't give it up" in that last scramble.

Anyone know what is up with Brandon Meredith? Shunk lost to him 20-6 in 2019. Is Meredith injured or has Shunk made improvements?

Or why Bear Claw didn't get the start at 157? Blumer seems undersized at the weight.

In both instances, of course, we will likely see another wrestler down the road: Hildebrandt at 125 and Joe Lee at 157.

It's interesting to note that Edsell has only performed at 184 and 174 in other seasons. He looked half decent in 2 wins today at 165. Wonder how much weight he is cutting. Matt Brown used to ascend or descend to get matches early in his career. Edsell is akin to a utility infielder in baseball perhaps. This year's version of Mason Manville maybe? He's a fighter and it was good to see him working for the turn ... and the win!

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and 1AA
Can Meredith still make 125? I actually thought he was respectable in 2020. Beat Colaiocco and hung in every match basically.

He's a really good guy. I hope he has a shot at an AA spot before he graduates.
I think he will AA but this year the weight is to deep.

What you think about our team this year? 74-Heavy look pretty sick!

I notice Corby mentioned in the Rokfin chat during the SHU match that Barraclough beat Joe Lee pretty convincingly in their wrestle-off. Any truth to that? Injury related?
I went back and didn't see anything in the chat about that.

EDIT: Noticed it didn't go back that far so I missed it.

Can Meredith still make 125? I actually thought he was respectable in 2020. Beat Colaiocco and hung in every match basically.
For what it's worth, Meredith is listed as 125/133 on the roster and WrestleStat has him at 125. But who knows.

Let's pump the brakes on whoever our 197 is will "brutalize" Warner talks. Warner is a very boring wrestler but he's very hard to take down and is a very strong rider. Can it happen? Yes absolutely and we'd be in great shape since Warner is a Top 4 kid right now but these talks reminds me of the "Kerk will major Cass" talks early on last year.

The escape and not turning around, I didn't like that and I'm sure he'll get a talking to about that.

The "dancing" is literally a strategy. I know Iowa fans think it's a taunt but it's the Ali shuffle.
The Ali shuffle can maybe be called a strategy in boxing. In wrestling not so much.

How big did Dean look at 197?

Anyone know what is up with Brandon Meredith? Shunk lost to him 20-6 in 2019. Is Meredith injured or has Shunk made improvements?

Or why Bear Claw didn't get the start at 157? Blumer seems undersized at the weight.

In both instances, of course, we will likely see another wrestler down the road: Hildebrandt at 125 and Joe Lee at 157.

It's interesting to note that Edsell has only performed at 184 and 174 in other seasons. He looked half decent in 2 wins today at 165. Wonder how much weight he is cutting. Matt Brown used to ascend or descend to get matches early in his career. Edsell is akin to a utility infielder in baseball perhaps. This year's version of Mason Manville maybe? He's a fighter and it was good to see him working for the turn ... and the win!

I believe Edsell was wrestling 184s when he was still a 174, giving up weight in those bouts, so he should only be cutting 9 lbs.

Let's pump the brakes on whoever our 197 is will "brutalize" Warner talks. Warner is a very boring wrestler but he's very hard to take down and is a very strong rider. Can it happen? Yes absolutely and we'd be in great shape since Warner is a Top 4 kid right now but these talks reminds me of the "Kerk will major Cass" talks early on last year.
Nah - I’m fine with my opinion out there.

Thanks for all the great updates and commentary.

Sorry if mentioned earlier, but any idea when we may see Facundo?

Yeah, I was happy Beau had that kind of match this early. Got to be a confidence booster to both get out after being ridden pretty well, AND then go a full period on top. His neutral offense isn't going to be what it could be at 141, I'm afraid--but he's still super talented, and I believe, can wrestle with pretty much everyone at this weight class.

There is probably room for both of you to be right, assuming multiple matches . . . I do like our chances against Warner, but maybe less so against Warnerov.
This will be Warner on bottom:

giphy.gif

The real lesson there is an appreciation for our depth guys who toil for 4 years, knowing they're unlikely to get more than a spot start due to injuries, and still do everything they can to help our starters win titles. And do so for little or no scholarship money.
And in some cases fill in and score points at nationals.

ADVERTISEMENT