ADVERTISEMENT

Dresser fires Zadick

It seems a little odd that Dresser would bring Zadick along with him from VT and then decide at ISU that they had too much difference of opinion. I wonder if there is more to this story than Dresser implied.

It seems a little odd that Dresser would bring Zadick along with him from VT and then decide at ISU that they had too much difference of opinion. I wonder if there is more to this story than Dresser implied.
Couldn't help but find that odd myself.

He's always welcome down the road at good ol' UNI.

Reactions: CropDuster507
Apparently there was a fist fight at practice between Zadick and another coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: andegre
Because he hit his boss.

Yeah no going back from that.

KD couldn't be seen as weak in the midst of the dumpster fire that is season 2.

Shame was really hoping they would turn that ship around.

Since Dresser arrived with huge expectations and fanfare they've had a few key recruits bolt and trash-talk the program, no success on the mat, and now this ugliness. I'm sure they'll give him plenty of time since he inherited a mess, but so far his own tenure is just more messes.

Since Dresser arrived with huge expectations and fanfare they've had a few key recruits bolt and trash-talk the program, no success on the mat, and now this ugliness. I'm sure they'll give him plenty of time since he inherited a mess, but so far his own tenure is just more messes.

I don't know..I see it as cleaning house. Get rid of the guys that don't have his vision and start clean..gotta give him 4 yrs to see where he brings this program

I don't know..I see it as cleaning house. Get rid of the guys that don't have his vision and start clean..gotta give him 4 yrs to see where he brings this program
Well, he brought Zadik with him, and the other guys could've made less noise on their way out. Given what he was paid he'll have a long leash but it's still all kind of embarrassing.

Embarrassing and puzzling, given his success in taking over an even bigger mess at VT.

Well, he brought Zadik with him, and the other guys could've made less noise on their way out. Given what he was paid he'll have a long leash but it's still all kind of embarrassing.
The fact that dresser did bring Zadik with him.tells me something major happened. it will eventually come to light.

I know some of what went down, but even the current wrestlers don't know the whole story. ISU wrestling was in a terrible spot- no money and nobody attending. KD has been able to raise some money and put some butts in the seats. The team scored one freaking point at the NCAA tournament the year before KD arrived, so I think he is moving it up at a snails pace but up nonetheless. This was never going to happen over night. It will take another 3-4 years to begin to judge the progress. I happen to love Mike and consider him a straight forward kind of guy, but he is intense beyond normal even in a world occupied by other tough guys.

It took quite a while to get VT turned around if I remember correctly. Wasn't it like about 6-8 years before they were even thought to be respectable?

Define respectable? Brands left VT in a shambles and in year 7 of Dresser they finished 10th at NCAAs. IMHO what Dresser did at VT was a GREAT job. He inherits an ISU team also a mess. Based on his past accomplishments as a coach I expect he will have ISU back in the top 10 in about the same time.

Define respectable? Brands left VT in a shambles and in year 7 of Dresser they finished 10th at NCAAs. IMHO what Dresser did at VT was a GREAT job. He inherits an ISU team also a mess. Based on his past accomplishments as a coach I expect he will have ISU back in the top 10 in about the same time.

The top ten is fairly select company at the moment, so I will not be upset if it takes that long or...gasp....doesn't happen. I would very much like to get back to being a top 20 team with at least 3-4 AA per year in the very near future. I think ISU will have a couple this year if everything works out. 1 freaking team point guys 1.. This program produced Gable and Cael and we scored one freaking team point...I'm going to start drinking.

"Shambles" understates what Dresser took over at VT. ISU had something - at the very least a rich tradition.

7 years is about what I thought it was. I would call top 10 respectable and actually pretty good since he followed it up with even better finishes. It will take a while with ISU. It appears he has the patience to put a plan into action and see it thru.

I like Zadick, but it seems (from the outside) that he was probably too much bad-cop.

Zadick, I got a club in SE MN. I'm willing to figure out good cop. We got plenty of jobs. A JUCO ready to make a splash. A club roster ready to burst. Come north.

Reactions: diggerpup
"Shambles" understates what Dresser took over at VT. ISU had something - at the very least a rich tradition.
Squat. That's what a rich tradition will get KD. I understand what you're saying, though the last guy had tradition on his side too. Hard work, dedication, and commitment, which will manifest in great recruiting classes, and great coaching, will get the program out of the ditch it's in. I'm rooting for them, as it's great for wrestling.

Squat. That's what a rich tradition will get KD. I understand what you're saying, though the last guy had tradition on his side too. Hard work, dedication, and commitment, which will manifest in great recruiting classes, and great coaching, will get the program out of the ditch it's in. I'm rooting for them, as it's great for wrestling.
Tradition will get you some fan support and with that comes dollars and an AD who will help. Popolizio started with nothing at NC State and he has been amazing. Brian Smith started at Mizzou with nothing and he has been amazing. In the end, I think Dresser will bring the program back. They may not be winning championships under him, but they will be bringing home a trophy or two. It appears that winning a championship is only for the certain elite and ISU may not ever get back to that again.

I was trying to find a picture to illustrate it, but I can say that I'm still in awe every single time that I go into Hilton Coliseum and see these names with "Gold" written below their names hanging from their rafters.

Yeah, tradition certainly says something. I'm sure there's a school or two out there with more gold medalists than this (Iowa and OK State?), but this always makes me gawk in awe.

Glen Brand-1948-Gold
Dan Gable-1972-Gold
Ben Peterson-1972-Gold
Kevin Jackson-1992-Gold
Cael Sanderson-2004-Gold
Jake Varner-2012-Gold

Last edited:
This just doesn't make any sense. I can't see Zadick swinging first since most Hawkeye wrestlers do not initiate any offense on the mat. Perhaps he was acting like an idiot and wearing a fedora or maybe he just kept pushing Dresser out of bounds.

I heard he threw a chair and hit St. John with a brick

I heard he threw a chair and hit St. John with a brick
My God, you come for a visit. Read a thread or two and rack your brain thinking really hard of something with some wit, zing or purpose to post.
It just amazes sometimes how much energy you must waste searching for a synaptic impulse.
Maybe next time, huh?

My God, you come for a visit. Read a thread or two and rack your brain thinking really hard of something with some wit, zing or purpose to post.
It just amazes sometimes how much energy you must waste searching for a synaptic impulse.
Maybe next time, huh?

Just trying to keep it on the same level as the post I responded to. An unwarranted jab gets an unwarranted response. But I am sure the post I responded to was a witty comment on someone getting fired and losing their livelihood. The holier than thou approach clouds what is a pretty good board to follow.

Just trying to keep it on the same level as the post I responded to. An unwarranted jab gets an unwarranted response. But I am sure the post I responded to was a witty comment on someone getting fired and losing their livelihood. The holier than thou approach clouds what is a pretty good board to follow.
Uh-huh.:rolleyes:

then don't follow. seems pretty simple.

Reactions: Nitt Fan
I didn't hear about anybody getting punched and my source told me about a potential staff shake up weeks before it happened...he probably would have led with that. From what I hear, it was a culmination of things to include big recruiting misses, lack of followership skills, treatment of staff...both wrestling and admin. A bunch of things added up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT