149: Brent Moore WBF #8 Sammy Sasso, 1:16
157: #14 B.C. LaPrade dec. Elijah Cleary, 3-1
165: #14 Ethan Smith dec. #4 David McFadden, 5-4
174: Cody Hughes dec. Rocky Jordan, 6-3
184: #11 Hunter Bolen dec. Zach Steiner, 8-1
197: #1 Kollin Moore TF Stanley Smeltzer, 24-9
285: #11 Chase Singletary dec. John Borst, 4-2
125: Joey Prata dec. #20 Malik Heinselman, 5-2

Next step MitchLLL...Ls usually are a march thing for you guys...seems its now a november thing

Reactions: diggerpup
Just saw the pin of Sasso but couldn’t link it. Sasso tried a duck and Brent Moore fed him hips and steamrolled him. Finally settled in, “got the chin”, and planted him.

then he started the “O H...” hand thing but did an “X” midway through.
Got the chin --> got tthe chinstrap. Maybe not at first, but definitely a solid grab right before the pin. Ryan and Jaggers must not have seen it, otherwise bricks be flying.

Reactions: diggerpup
Just watched the tOSU v VT match and thought I share some thoughts that may or may not be of interest... but it is a wrestling forum after all... :D

1. I watched the replay on FoxSports app and really, really wished I had DVR recorded it instead so that I could have fast forwarded it through the commercials and the annoying PA Announcer aka Circus ringmaster (although I always did wonder what ever became of Lou Albino) :mad:

2. I was surprised to learn (if my research was correct) that the new Covelli center seats under 4,000. It seemed to look a bit bigger. I’ll take Rec Hall. :)

3. Watching Cael et alii sit quietly and stoically in their corners today...and compared that to this dual, I wonder how any wrestler can hear anything with all three coaches shouting at the same time... I’m glad our wrestlers have the Wrestling IQ and scoring mentally that nobody need shout “we need a major!” o_O

4. Perhaps it’s been the quality of the opposition, but Pletcher at 141 seems to be wrestling more actively than in the past :confused:

5. I was surprised that Colin Moore didn’t go for the Fall and let the tech follow (like Nolf would do) :eek:

6. I wonder if B1G soccer fans were cursing wrestling for delaying their viewing like we do with Basketball running long :mad:

7. With upset losses of Minnesota & Ohio State... “is anybody concerned” that B1G wrestling has already seen its zenith & is now in decline? :rolleyes:

8. Virginia Polytechnic came to wrestle... I found the 125 finish most enjoyable. :D

Just some random thoughts...

This thread seems to have had some heavy editing. I approve, someone seemed to have it in his head he wanted to be hammered.

Coaches who constantly scream "instructions" to their wrestlers do it for themselves (I wonder if they, fundamentally, don't trust their wrestlers) and quickly get tuned out, especially if there are 3 doing it.

At the Navy match, I heard one thing from Casey during a match Admittedly, I sit catty-cornered to him so I might not have heard others. He gave a precise instruction (iirc, he told a wrestler to "bring (his) left arm down"). It was heard and followed with a great result.

There were some gems from tOSU staff Sunday. One, Cleary was told he needed to start wrestling because he had to get two takedowns to win. Mind you, he hadn't shot all match. Shockingly, he failed to shoot the rest of the match. But shouldn't have he been wrestling the whole time? Two, a wrestler was told "now is a good time to score". Praytell, when is it a bad time to score? :D

Coaches who constantly scream "instructions" to their wrestlers do it for themselves (I wonder if they, fundamentally, don't trust their wrestlers) and quickly get tuned out, especially if there are 3 doing it.

At the Navy match, I heard one thing from Casey during a match Admittedly, I sit catty-cornered to him so I might not have heard others. He gave a precise instruction (iirc, he told a wrestler to "bring (his) left arm down"). It was heard and followed with a great result.

There were some gems from tOSU staff Sunday. One, Cleary was told he needed to start wrestling because he had to get two takedowns to win. Mind you, he hadn't shot all match. Shockingly, he failed to shoot the rest of the match. But shouldn't have he been wrestling the whole time? Two, a wrestler was told "now is a good time to score". Praytell, when is it a bad time to score? :D

I always liked to hear coaches yell “ crossface hard!!” Like there is an easy option.

1. I watched the replay on FoxSports app and really, really wished I had DVR recorded it instead so that I could have fast forwarded it through the commercials and the annoying PA Announcer aka Circus ringmaster (although I always did wonder what ever became of Lou Albino) :mad:

I don't know where he is either, but we should definitely extend an invitation for the next white out ;)

Start at 1:27

So, what would a coach tell his wrestlers, to help them avoid what Sasso did? In other words, how should Sasso have known he was doing something wrong?

Question: Is it a problem that he went onto his own two knees instead of going onto just one knee?

Start at 1:27

So, what would a coach tell his wrestlers, to help them avoid what Sasso did? In other words, how should Sasso have known he was doing something wrong?

Question: Is it a problem that he went onto his own two knees instead of going onto just one knee?
The big lesson is: don't get greedy.

Sasso tried a duck into body lock. The duck might have been there -- Moore was leaning forward. The duck into body lock was not there -- Moore was leaning too far forward, and Sasso couldn't get upright, his hips were caught under him.

If Sasso had tried the duck and missed, he could've grabbed Moore's right leg and maybe forced a stalemate or even gotten a takedown. That would've been a better move once he was on his knees. But he went swinging for the fences.

Moore deserves credit too -- he sniffed it out. Sasso might have telegraphed the duck (at the 2:19 replay, looked like he pushed up on Moore's arm but not enough to clear it).

Sasso tried a duck into body lock. The duck might have been there -- Moore was leaning forward. The duck into body lock was not there -- Moore was leaning too far forward, and Sasso couldn't get upright, his hips were caught under him.

If Sasso had tried the duck and missed, he could've grabbed Moore's right leg and maybe forced a stalemate or even gotten a takedown. That would've been a better move once he was on his knees. But he went swinging for the fences.

Moore deserves credit too -- he sniffed it out. Sasso might have telegraphed the duck (at the 2:19 replay, looked like he pushed up on Moore's arm but not enough to clear it).

Not how we would have handled it, Sammy.

... Moore deserves credit too -- he sniffed it out. Sasso might have telegraphed the duck (at the 2:19 replay, looked like he pushed up on Moore's arm but not enough to clear it).
Thank you! I see it now. Moore wound up with an underhook on Sasso’s right arm pit. Sasso should not have pulled the trigger unless he had better reason to believe he could clear the defense by Moore’s left hand.

(Edit: It’s a duck-under Sasso is trying. You can’t finish a duckunder on the other guy’s right side if the other guy winds up under you [and strong] on his left side! What would happen is what happened: the other guy will verticalize your body and push you over. Being on two knees instead of just one gives you even less ability to push and scoot backward, but even having one planted foot instead of being on two knees might not make enough difference to save you if the other guy gets under you [and in a strong position].)

Last edited:
Sorry for a naive/ignorant question. Is it ever a good idea to bodylock over the other guy’s underhook?

It just seems to me that if I try to bodylock over a guy’s torso plus arm, he would stop it—e.g., with what my coach called a Gizoni—and end up where I don’t want him: underneath and past my arm defense.

Last edited:
Freshman mistake, and tremendous learning experience. At the college level, everyone's talented, and wrestlers can't take anyone for granted. This is a perfect example of the saying "it's why they wrestle the bouts".

Sorry for a naive/ignorant question. Is it ever a good idea to bodylock over the other guy’s underhook?

It just seems to me that if I try to bodylock over a guy’s torso plus arm, he would stop it—e.g., with what my coach called a Gizoni—and end up where I don’t want him: underneath and past my arm defense.
I don't believe there's a black-and-white answer to your question. So many factors, there's surely some that could get away with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT