ADVERTISEMENT

Dow down over 600!

I think the market may give up most of January’s gain but then may level out. But there’s a lot of money that’s going to have to be allocated back into a money maker and I’m not thinking bonds are it. And I think money stays domestic for now.
Patience will be rewarded.

row-of-slot-machines.jpg

The PE ratio is almost double historic averages, so it’s time for the market to drop some.

Bloodbath in the bond market also. Rising interest rates will do that. All that debt just got a lot more expensive.

The equity risk premium is coming home to roost.

Greed versus optimism. Normally, when greed prevails, the market reacts. There is certainly a high level of greed right now in the market but I still don’t see people pulling out and getting jack squat in a money market or other instrument. So, people continue to pour money into the markets.

As "Warren" always said: "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful." I would say many are fearful today!

The Shiller PE Ratio is above 33, which is absurdly high and has only been higher during one period in history (dot-com).

Reactions: sluggo72
True, but 2018 earnings could be 15% higher with help of tax cuts.

Yes, and that's only been priced in about 10 times now.

I could be wrong but I really think there is going to be a huge correction. Look at the 1987 crash one year after the 1986 tax cuts. But that time the Shiller PE was not even at 20. We are in 1929 or 2000 territory in terms of how the market is priced.

IIRC it only took about 6 months or less for the 1987 crash to correct itself. Market crashes can be healthy; however, the 2007-08 was brutal.

Reactions: Nitwit97
Yes, and that's only been priced in about 10 times now.

I could be wrong but I really think there is going to be a huge correction. Look at the 1987 crash one year after the 1986 tax cuts. But that time the Shiller PE was not even at 20. We are in 1929 or 2000 territory in terms of how the market is priced.
Schiller PE is 25.78
http://www.multpl.com

What were interest rates in 1987? I'd bail on stocks if I could get a 10% treasury.

Last edited:
Down almost 600 today.
it was almost even for the day around 11 am , the NASDAQ was positive. When you see days like this, IMO it means the computers, High Frequency traders are in charge, and as soon as they flip the switch, it will rally back.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Yikes. Later in 2018, if earnings do not live up to the tax cut expectation, look out below

it was almost even for the day around 11 am , the NASDAQ was positive. When you see days like this, IMO it means the computers, High Frequency traders are in charge, and as soon as they flip the switch, it will rally back.

f**kers finally kicked in, lol

Didn’t there used to be some safeguard to prevent these runs? I thought there was an automatic freeze in trading put in place years ago if it dropped like 500?

Yikes. Later in 2018, if earnings do not live up to the tax cut expectation, look out below
I'm not sure what the expectations are but tax cuts alone should give year over year earnings a big boost.

ADVERTISEMENT