ADVERTISEMENT

Double Headers

mhs103

Jan 26, 2020
Back in the day, the Kolat, Abe, Hughes, McCoy era if you will, PSU once wrestled at WVU in the afternoon and Pitt that evening at Connersville H. S. I also recall a Minnesota and WVU double header at Rec Hall. It would be nice to see double headers again featuring ACC & MAC schools.

Reactions: Ski and JimNazium
It might also be nice to have the team wrestle the PA duals, Mattown Invite, PSU Open, Midlands, Reno, Southern Scuffle, and/or Nat or VA Duals. I guess the coaches feel that it is best for the team to have a light schedule, but it would be nice for the fans to see the team compete more.

Not arguing, as I know fans want to see more wrestling. Highly doubtful this staff will ever wrestle two bouts in one day, or do much more than a moderate tourney in late November, plus a Holiday Tournament that gets the guys five to six bouts over a couple of days (similar to NCAA's), on top of about 14 duals.

Limiting competition dates to 16, and now having nine Big Ten duals, is limiting, but rightfully so imo, given the academic challenges of a student athlete, and the punishing nature of the sport.

Reactions: Tjsch1
I know the decision to compete at the Wilkes Open this year raised some eyebrows, but I for one would like to applaud the decision. I love Penn State Wrestling but no longer reside close to State College. I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing the Lions compete in person in many years. The Wilkes Open provided me that opportunity. I was back in PA for the holidays and the Wilkes Open gave me the chance to do something I haven’t had the chance to do for years; watch the Lions compete in person.

So in summary, thanks to Cael and company for allowing an out of towner who can’t ever attend a dual to enjoy a great holiday watching great student athletes compete.

Reactions: NoVaLion2
Limiting competition dates to 16, and now having nine Big Ten duals, is limiting, but rightfully so imo, given the academic challenges of a student athlete, and the punishing nature of the sport.

I'm thinking that having conference Tri or Quad Meets would help with that.

Not arguing, as I know fans want to see more wrestling. Highly doubtful this staff will ever wrestle two bouts in one day, or do much more than a moderate tourney in late November, plus a Holiday Tournament that gets the guys five to six bouts over a couple of days (similar to NCAA's), on top of about 14 duals.

I was thinking perhaps they could schedule a double dual with one strong team and one weaker team where you know you can get the backups some mat time in a dual. Maybe when perennial Top 10 Rutgers is in town we could bring in a team like Buffalo the same day instead of Buffalo getting an entire day to themselves. Something like that.

I was thinking perhaps they could schedule a double dual with one strong team and one weaker team where you know you can get the backups some mat time in a dual. Maybe when perennial Top 10 Rutgers is in town we could bring in a team like Buffalo the same day instead of Buffalo getting an entire day to themselves. Something like that.

So it would be a quad meet with a strong team, Buffalo, and Rutgers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT