ADVERTISEMENT

Don't recall reading this -- PSU was after a 285 lber last year ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
perhaps as a workout partner for Nevills? ... I don't know.

Wednesday was signing day for football. There were articles across the country about the prospects that various programs signed. I was looking at a bunch of them for schools other than PSU, and stumbled upon one that looked at BYU's recruiting class. In an article in Vanquish The Foe's web site (a SB Nation site for BYU), they mention that a BYU recruit from last year, Zac Dawe, chose "football at BYU over wrestling at Penn State." You can read the article at this link.

Zac finished 4th, 3rd, 1st, and 1st at 285 in his 4 years at Pleasant Grover HS, in Utah.

Per another article I read about Zac, he's spending this year and next year on a church mission, so he won't enter college until the fall of 2016.

It's hard to know if PSU simply talked with Dawe about wrestling at PSU, whether they encouraged him to try and walk on, or whether they offered him a 'ship. And it's unlikely that we'll ever learn the truth.

Anyway, I don't recall there ever being any mention about PSU recruiting Zac Dawe, and thought some of you might enjoy the info.

Tom

This post was edited on 2/6 2:16 PM by Tom McAndrew

Interesting ...

From what I can gather, I strongly suspect PSU had legitimate interest. He was very good at the national level, and a big-time pinner. Massive (6-4, 260+), in good shape for a heavy, agile, aggressive on feet.

Some of his tourney results:
- Beast 4th as a SO, losses to Brooks Black (5-3) and Michael Johnson (8-4), otherwise pinned his way thru
- 2x Reno TOC champ, 10 pins in 2 years
- SR Doc Buchanan 3rd, 4 pins, 1-pt semi loss to Chance Eskam (whose brother starts at Arizona State)
- Junior National Greco Duals all-tourney team

Guessing Cael saw him as a post-mission backup to Nevills and maybe 2-yr starter if he developed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT