ADVERTISEMENT

Don Abbey sueing Beta

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
Donald Abbey would like his $8.5 million back. On July 5, a judge will hear arguments about whether that happens.

Abbey is the Penn State alumnus and real estate investor who gave large sums of money to the Alpha Upsilon chapter of Beta Theta Pi.

According to court documents, Abbey said the funding agreement between him and the fraternity has been violated.
More than a decade ago, Abbey made his first gift to the fraternity to fund restoration of the chapter’s house.

“After graduation, as I focused on my career for thirty years, the image I retained of the house was of the magnificent structure and the elegant style of living I’d experienced. So when I returned and saw that the house had regressed, and considering that my career has been in repositioning of real estate, I felt that action was required. It was the best chapter house on campus in my day, and I want to ensure that it remains so in the future,” he said in a 2006 statement from Penn State

Two years later, the chapter was suspended for alcohol violations. Abbey upped the millions he had already put into the house to help make it the “premier fraternity” at Penn State.

Penn State officials have said they would have agreed with that right up until the February party where prosecutors say a hazing gauntlet of alcohol consumption and 12 hours without medical help after a fall killed pledge Timothy Piazza, 19. The chapter was banned permanently. The chapter and 18 members now face criminal charges.

Abbey says that violates the funding agreement. The terms require, according to court documents, that Alpha Upsilon remain a Beta Theta Pi fraternity and continue to follow the “Men of Principle” initiative that included alcohol-free recruitment and no hazing.

Abbey has asked Centre County court to enforce the terms of the agreement.

Alpha Upsilon’s attorneys argue that Abbey made an irrevocable gift and cannot “subsequently convert it to a conditional gift,” and say the funding agreement was never approved by the full membership of the house’s leadership organization.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/article157509569.html

Shouldn't abbey wait for barren to fix the Greek System first? Then abbey could donate more money for renovations that would be honored by participants in said fixed Greek System.

Reactions: johnmcafee
Abbey, for all the money he has made throughout the years, is broke now. He is selling both of his houses.

Abbey, for all the money he has made throughout the years, is broke now. He is selling both of his houses.
he managed to lose $800 million in the last couple of years? that would be bad luck

he managed to lose $800 million in the last couple of years? that would be bad luck

Fair, not broke in an average man's sense, but I don't think he has as much money around as he is comfortable having. He really put a ton of time, personalization, and resources into his 2 opulent houses in California and Montana, they are now both on the market.

Reactions: Nitt1300
So, he made a gift of $8.5 million, which the frat's lawyers say was an irrevocable gift, but also say that the full board of the frat did not vote on it.

But, they took the $8.5 million gift anyway, right?

Reactions: Nitt1300
What would the university pay for that lot? Who owns the real estate?

So, he made a gift of $8.5 million, which the frat's lawyers say was an irrevocable gift, but also say that the full board of the frat did not vote on it.

But, they took the $8.5 million gift anyway, right?

I imagine this is so when the place gets sued out of everything, he can recoup a piece.

There will be $100+ million of suits won and only $10mm or so of money.

Maybe he can get ahead of some of the other suits.

LdN

Good, he is a control freak. If he really wanted to do just the things he says in the document he could have donated the $ and put in any conditions he wanted.
He didn't need to install camera's and kick out the senior class.

Broke ? I heard Abbey is buying a huge house south of town that has basically been empty for years. It's near Daleview ? Golf course off the Mt. Nittany expressway. I have heard that teams of workers have been remodeling the place for months now.

Broke ? I heard Abbey is buying a huge house south of town that has basically been empty for years. It's near Daleview ? Golf course off the Mt. Nittany expressway. I have heard that teams of workers have been remodeling the place for months now.

Not sure where you came up with Daleview? Abbey bought the Gettig property in Scenery Park (472 Scenery Dr) just off of South Atherton last fall. It does overlook the new nine at Centre Hills Country Club.

Donald Abbey would like his $8.5 million back. On July 5, a judge will hear arguments about whether that happens.

Abbey is the Penn State alumnus and real estate investor who gave large sums of money to the Alpha Upsilon chapter of Beta Theta Pi.

According to court documents, Abbey said the funding agreement between him and the fraternity has been violated.
More than a decade ago, Abbey made his first gift to the fraternity to fund restoration of the chapter’s house.

“After graduation, as I focused on my career for thirty years, the image I retained of the house was of the magnificent structure and the elegant style of living I’d experienced. So when I returned and saw that the house had regressed, and considering that my career has been in repositioning of real estate, I felt that action was required. It was the best chapter house on campus in my day, and I want to ensure that it remains so in the future,” he said in a 2006 statement from Penn State

Two years later, the chapter was suspended for alcohol violations. Abbey upped the millions he had already put into the house to help make it the “premier fraternity” at Penn State.

Penn State officials have said they would have agreed with that right up until the February party where prosecutors say a hazing gauntlet of alcohol consumption and 12 hours without medical help after a fall killed pledge Timothy Piazza, 19. The chapter was banned permanently. The chapter and 18 members now face criminal charges.

Abbey says that violates the funding agreement. The terms require, according to court documents, that Alpha Upsilon remain a Beta Theta Pi fraternity and continue to follow the “Men of Principle” initiative that included alcohol-free recruitment and no hazing.

Alpha Upsilon’s attorneys argue that Abbey made an irrevocable gift and cannot “subsequently convert it to a conditional gift,” and say the funding agreement was never approved by the full membership of the house’s leadership organization.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/article157509569.html
So does Don Abbey hate frats? Is his conclusion, and the lawsuit he filed to back it up, the final proof that he is "jealous" 30-40 years later that nobody ever offered him a place in the frats?

Because that sure seems to be the conclusion many folks here reached when the rest of us criticized Beta over the last month or two--that we were biased and jealous that we were never frat boys.

psuro, are u slipping? Anorexic biker slease?

GAH!

800px_COLOURBOX6343987.jpg
Yeah, that one was an outlier. And, to be clear, it was anirexic biker sleaze with boobjob!

Shouldn't abbey wait for barren to fix the Greek System first? Then abbey could donate more money for renovations that would be honored by participants in said fixed Greek System.

What is stopping the Barron critics from fixing it on their own?

So does Don Abbey hate frats? Is his conclusion, and the lawsuit he filed to back it up, the final proof that he is "jealous" 30-40 years later that nobody ever offered him a place in the frats?

Because that sure seems to be the conclusion many folks here reached when the rest of us criticized Beta over the last month or two--that we were biased and jealous that we were never frat boys.
Are you still denying you have a long standing hatred of fraternities? All I ever asked was that you admit your bias. Your opinion on their future (or lack thereof) would actually be more valuable if you were honest with us.

Are you still denying you have a long standing hatred of fraternities? All I ever asked was that you admit your bias. Your opinion on their future (or lack thereof) would actually be more valuable if you were honest with us.
My "hatred" of fraternities is just exactly like Don Abbey's.

Reactions: Tony '83
My "hatred" of fraternities is just exactly like Don Abbey's.
Please clarify. I never said you were jealous or an abused GDI. I simply remember you hating on fraternities long before the Beta incident. I have no idea nor do I care why you hate fraternities. However, your only input since the Beta incident has been pure vitriol.

Don Abbey obviously has had a host of emotions about fraternities and Beta in particular. His lawsuit may reflect a newfound hatred of fraternities or simply a desire to get his money back. I'm thinking money but what do I know.

I have pointed out various reasons why the fraternity issue is not black and white and your only response has been "bulls***". Do you have anything but hate to add to the conversation?

Reactions: jerseylion109
S

It seems that things are going down the wrong side of Abbey Road!

Please clarify. I never said you were jealous or an abused GDI. I simply remember you hating on fraternities long before the Beta incident. I have no idea nor do I care why you hate fraternities. However, your only input since the Beta incident has been pure vitriol.

Don Abbey obviously has had a host of emotions about fraternities and Beta in particular. His lawsuit may reflect a newfound hatred of fraternities or simply a desire to get his money back. I'm thinking money but what do I know.

I have pointed out various reasons why the fraternity issue is not black and white and your only response has been "bulls***". Do you have anything but hate to add to the conversation?
I have made pretty clear that I think the University needs to divorce itself from all authority over, and responsibility for, frats, for a long time before the Beta incident. the only difference between me and Abbey on this is that he was stupid enough to trust them while I never did.

The frats are a significant source of both underage drinking problems and sexual assault. Should not be the University's problem, any more than policing underage drinking in private apartments should be the University's problem.

It is not hatred, but people have to be realistic about what is going to happen. No matter what rules are in place, some frats blow them off every time. Unacceptable. Call it hate if you want, it just seems like fiscal prudence to me. Given the auditor's report, seems like the University could use a little prudence right about now.

I have made pretty clear that I think the University needs to divorce itself from all authority over, and responsibility for, frats, for a long time before the Beta incident. the only difference between me and Abbey on this is that he was stupid enough to trust them while I never did.

The frats are a significant source of both underage drinking problems and sexual assault. Should not be the University's problem, any more than policing underage drinking in private apartments should be the University's problem.

It is not hatred, but people have to be realistic about what is going to happen. No matter what rules are in place, some frats blow them off every time. Unacceptable. Call it hate if you want, it just seems like fiscal prudence to me. Given the auditor's report, seems like the University could use a little prudence right about now.
I think you finally admitted your bias against fraternities, so I will take it and move on.

The issues with fraternities have been discussed previously. I thought they would die off 30 years because of legal and insurance reasons, but they survived. Apparently, Barron proposes tight regulation which in turn could kill them off. I don't know the answer, since kids in fraternities, dorms, or apartments make mistakes. Fraternities are a lightning rod right now and will suffer. Divorce sounds easy, but we shall see what happens.

What scares me is alcohol of all kinds. I don't mean that I don't drink, but alcohol means liability. PSU will most likely start selling beer in Beaver Stadium like everyone else. Alcohol is served to the big boys in the expensive boxes. Alcohol is served at trustee meetings and alumni gatherings. When will something bad happen at one of these events? Beer at stadiums scares me the most but will just be referred to as a business decision.

Reactions: SandyM

??

Whatever made you conclude that? Abbey was a Beta. He loaned and/or gave $10M to the his fraternity on several different occasions over the years. But the fraternity that he belonged to no longer exists. The only thing he is trying to do now that the fraternity had been dissolved is to get some of his $10M back. That seems like the logical thing that anyone would do under the circumstances. .

Reactions: NitNE73

not "the rest of us"- just you

??

Whatever made you conclude that? Abbey was a Beta. He loaned and/or gave $10M to the his fraternity on several different occasions over the years. But the fraternity that he belonged to no longer exists. The only thing he is trying to do now that the fraternity had been dissolved is to get some of his $10M back. That seems like the logical thing that anyone would do under the circumstances. .
Let him go, he's on a roll!

Not sure where you came up with Daleview? Abbey bought the Gettig property in Scenery Park (472 Scenery Dr) just off of South Atherton last fall. It does overlook the new nine at Centre Hills Country Club.
Didn't they used to call it something else before Centre Hills ?
I never played there.

not "the rest of us"- just you
Actually, everyone who criticized Bata faced some of that, except Abbey. Now that the University has doubled down on the fake control, we'll ride the merry go round again until the next kid dies or gets raped or hurt or hazed to death, then repeat. With luck well get whacked for another $few million for the privilege of failing to control the uncontrollable.

It is not bias to recognize an unpalatable risk. And these folks have a lot more notice than Joe had.

Reactions: NittPicker
Actually, everyone who criticized Bata faced some of that, except Abbey. Now that the University has doubled down on the fake control, we'll ride the merry go round again until the next kid dies or gets raped or hurt or hazed to death, then repeat. With luck well get whacked for another $few million for the privilege of failing to control the uncontrollable.

It is not bias to recognize an unpalatable risk. And these folks have a lot more notice than Joe had.
But it is bias when you have to choose one risk over another. When I was in school, I was aware of more bad things happening in the dorms than the fraternities. Do you sell the dorms to private companies to divorce yourself of that risk? Thon is probably only one bad incident away from being disbanded--tragic. Football (without arguing about the whys and wherefores) has cost a whole lot of money since you know when. Aside from recent problems, what are the risks of having 100,000 people in a small enclosure when ISIS is active? Are there sufficient safeguards and exits for the crowd? Are we sufficiently insured?

I can think of endless risks the University takes to stay in business. I said this before, but the University actually benefits from fraternity life in that it may attract some students to enroll. Enrollment is the number one concern in today's environment where bricks and mortar are not necessary.

I admit I don't have the answers, but you do have a bias which makes it easy to favor divorce from the Greek system.

Barron proposing more strict regulation of fraternities is another way of saying the university will become MORE responsible for what goes on there. So you are certainly correct. Barron is setting the university up to be more liable the next time a tragedy happens. "Your honor, the Pennsylvania State University claimed more strict regulation of fraternities would be undertaken. Even with that, my clients' son suffered a tragic death due to the university not fulfilling the obligation it promised to undertake. Please assess punitive damages of $50 million."

At its basic level a fraternity is a bunch of guys living in the same house. Slapping Greek letters on the wall doesn't require the university to treat a fraternity house any differently than typical off campus student housing. For example, did the university ever have the authority or responsibility to police what went on at the Briarwood Bash (if they still have that)? I don't understand why Barron is willing to lay the PSU head across the chopping block the next time a tragedy occurs. Not that he'll be asking but my recommendation to Barron would be to cut the fraternities loose from university oversight.

Barron proposing more strict regulation of fraternities is another way of saying the university will become MORE responsible for what goes on there. So you are certainly correct. Barron is setting the university up to be more liable the next time a tragedy happens. "Your honor, the Pennsylvania State University claimed more strict regulation of fraternities would be undertaken. Even with that, my clients' son suffered a tragic death due to the university not fulfilling the obligation it promised to undertake. Please assess punitive damages of $50 million."

At its basic level a fraternity is a bunch of guys living in the same house. Slapping Greek letters on the wall doesn't require the university to treat a fraternity house any differently than typical off campus student housing. For example, did the university ever have the authority or responsibility to police what went on at the Briarwood Bash (if they still have that)? I don't understand why Barron is willing to lay the PSU head across the chopping block the next time a tragedy occurs. Not that he'll be asking but my recommendation to Barron would be to cut the fraternities loose from university oversight.
Repeating myself but should the dorms be shut down also? Personally I saw much worse in the dorms where there was no incentive to behave as opposed to a common purpose in the house.

But it is bias when you have to choose one risk over another. When I was in school, I was aware of more bad things happening in the dorms than the fraternities. Do you sell the dorms to private companies to divorce yourself of that risk? Thon is probably only one bad incident away from being disbanded--tragic. Football (without arguing about the whys and wherefores) has cost a whole lot of money since you know when. Aside from recent problems, what are the risks of having 100,000 people in a small enclosure when ISIS is active? Are there sufficient safeguards and exits for the crowd? Are we sufficiently insured?

I can think of endless risks the University takes to stay in business. I said this before, but the University actually benefits from fraternity life in that it may attract some students to enroll. Enrollment is the number one concern in today's environment where bricks and mortar are not necessary.

I admit I don't have the answers, but you do have a bias which makes it easy to favor divorce from the Greek system.

And you seem a little bit too married to the Greek system. I feel as your as biased for it as demlion is against it.

ADVERTISEMENT