ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t count Franklin and this team out just yet

I don't disagree. My point was for all of the people blaming "youth" as a reason for lowering expectations. Ohio State made the playoffs a year after losing 12 starters to the draft because they developed the players behind those starters. No one in Columbus tried to use youth or lack of starting experience as an excuse. Every season there's something to blame. Last season the line was too young, this season its "youth', 2019 it will be a first year starting quarterback, 2020 it will be another first year starting qb if Tommy wins the job next season. If all else fails then the sanctions get blamed

It's just a never ending wave of excuses and every other team in college football deals with turnover and breaking in new starters at key positions every year. The team won the big ten in 2016 and won the fiesta bowl last season. It's ok to have high expectations (and lets be honest you didn't need high expectations to expect a win over this years version of Michigan State).

I wish I could "like" this +1000 because it expresses exactly the way I feel. Over the weekend, some of the posts I read from people defending Franklin reminded me about the basketball posts from Chambers disciples, how we're so lucky to have him and whatnot - people who lurk these posts know the drill. For the record, I like both Franklin and Chambers but in both cases the excuses are wearing thin. Leaving Chambers aside as an argument for another day, it would be nice to see Franklin just "get the job done" and be proud of the young men he's recruiting, their prowess on the field and the classroom, and establishing themselves as an "elite" football team/program. Win against OSU and MSU and after everything else that's happened, PSU would be positioned beautifully for the CFP, with only a tough road game at UM and CCG as obstacles (well, maybe Wisconsin too... :D).

I know Franklin had a tough row to hoe coming in, nobody was expecting miracles overnight. The past two years have been close to it, honestly. The problem is that the team had the ability to win against both OSU and MSU not only this year, but last year, and couldn't close the deal. That's frustrating and it seems to me that the more that kind of performance is excused away, the more that mediocrity will settle in. I don't think that's what anyone, especially Franklin, wants.

I'm pretty sure we can count them out for this year. The staff just needs to figure out how this doesn't happen again next year.
I believe this was intended for the recruits standing above the press conference area. CJF directed that at the future, not at this year's team.
That's my opinion and others IIRC.

OL
Thank you so much for nipping this thread on the bud...... Can't we just play football an be satisfied with whatever evolves at this time.

Last edited:
There’s a non-objective group here that just do not like Franklin. Losses are when the knives come out. I don’t know if it’s because they think there is someone out there better for the job or what.

There probably is someone else out there better, but finding who that is, a needle in the haystack. You can't get rid of James. You just can't. Many, including myself are pissed off and we have that right. We have the right after 5 of the biggest games the last 3 years were blown in the 4th quarter. Some of us, including player's parents are sick of him blaming the players and not taking enough ownership. His team in each of these 5 games is clearly good enough to win, but they haven't. His teams have not gotten over a hangover loss to OSU the last two years, thats coaching. Something isn't resonating or working to be elite and you can't just continuing to place that blame on others. Its a tiring act.

I wish I could "like" this +1000 because it expresses exactly the way I feel. Over the weekend, some of the posts I read from people defending Franklin reminded me about the basketball posts from Chambers disciples, how we're so lucky to have him and whatnot - people who lurk these posts know the drill. For the record, I like both Franklin and Chambers but in both cases the excuses are wearing thin. Leaving Chambers aside as an argument for another day, it would be nice to see Franklin just "get the job done" and be proud of the young men he's recruiting, their prowess on the field and the classroom, and establishing themselves as an "elite" football team/program. Win against OSU and MSU and after everything else that's happened, PSU would be positioned beautifully for the CFP, with only a tough road game at UM and CCG as obstacles (well, maybe Wisconsin too... :D).

I know Franklin had a tough row to hoe coming in, nobody was expecting miracles overnight. The past two years have been close to it, honestly. The problem is that the team had the ability to win against both OSU and MSU not only this year, but last year, and couldn't close the deal. That's frustrating and it seems to me that the more that kind of performance is excused away, the more that mediocrity will settle in. I don't think that's what anyone, especially Franklin, wants.
Are you saying Franklin isn’t proud of his players on and off the field? Are you suggesting if the fans aren’t irate about losing Franklin will settle for mediocrity?

Are you saying Franklin isn’t proud of his players on and off the field? Are you suggesting if the fans aren’t irate about losing Franklin will settle for mediocrity?

Fans that make excuses for absolutely everything will. Like the ones saying dropping 3 or 4 more games is fine as long as they win against Michigan. Mediocrity.

There probably is someone else out there better, but finding who that is, a needle in the haystack. You can't get rid of James. You just can't. Many, including myself are pissed off and we have that right. We have the right after 5 of the biggest games the last 3 years were blown in the 4th quarter. Some of us, including player's parents are sick of him blaming the players and not taking enough ownership. His team in each of these 5 games is clearly good enough to win, but they haven't. His teams have not gotten over a hangover loss to OSU the last two years, thats coaching. Something isn't resonating or working to be elite and you can't just continuing to place that blame on others. Its a tiring act.

So after reading the true answer a zillion times, that we have not been afforded the luxury of a full roster a little ways back and are just over coming that, and the issue is depth in the 4th quarter? Have you not read that? Simple Facts!

Fans that make excuses for absolutely everything will. Like the ones saying dropping 3 or 4 more games is fine as long as they win against Michigan. Mediocrity.

+1000. Thats like pitt fans saying its ok to lose every game as long as we beat Penn State and before anyone scoffs at that their were some Liar reprobates saying that.

Can someone who is objective expect the team to hold on to leads in the 4th quarter? Or is that entirely unreasonable on a team with 19 starters on offense and defense who have been in the program 3 years or more?

THIS.

I love Franklin. But when you have multiple opportunities to win two games and you come up short in the 4th quarter....well.....it can be as tough for fans as for the players....

Instead of debating offense, defense, players, etc., let's just save time and FIRE. FRANKLIN. :eek: At least we can all agree on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT