ADVERTISEMENT

Does this strengthen the argument that Penn State is becoming

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
more of a rival to ohowihate?
Many fans of the team in Columbass will never say Michigan. Team up north or State up north. Have never heard a suckeye coach ever say "Michigan".
At the Ohio HS Football Coaches Clinic this weekend, o$u OC referred to Penn State as "team with the white helmets and blue strip" and LJ's comment was something like "the team out there" and followed it up with "and that guy only gained 36 yards".
I spoke to LJ prior to his talk and we briefly discussed recruiting. I said they had a nice year, and he replied -makes you want to stay around a long long time.
I chuckled to myself and thought I'd love to ask - but, what about junior's tweet?

Was happy when his first question after - how have you been? - was how is your son doing?

On another note, a few of us at the clinic thought it was odd Purdue's HC talked for 50 minutes about their flea-flicker package. Odd clinic topic.

OL

Yes, OSU despises PSU and their verbiage gives them away. When we were the whipping boys they had no problem referring to us by name but not any more. My how things have changed. I'm enjoying every white helmet with blue stripe comment. Shows we have arrived and likely surpassed UM since they like to say they "respect" the "team up north" but no such commentary of "the team out there". No one can usurp the buckeye birthright to all championships in football.

Many fans of the team in Columbass will never say Michigan. Team up north or State up north. Have never heard a suckeye coach ever say "Michigan".
At the Ohio HS Football Coaches Clinic this weekend, o$u OC referred to Penn State as "team with the white helmets and blue strip" and LJ's comment was something like "the team out there" and followed it up with "and that guy only gained 36 yards".
I spoke to LJ prior to his talk and we briefly discussed recruiting. I said they had a nice year, and he replied -makes you want to stay around a long long time.
I chuckled to myself and thought I'd love to ask - but, what about junior's tweet?

Was happy when his first question after - how have you been? - was how is your son doing?

On another note, a few of us at the clinic thought it was odd Purdue's HC talked for 50 minutes about their flea-flicker package. Odd clinic topic.

OL

That sort of parallels some of the comments seen on their board the last week or so (post PSU wrestling win). Common to see comments like ‘I can respect Michigan but I hate Penn State’.

Just reinforces a few points.-
1. Clearly PSU (not Michigan) is putting up more of a challenge to them in several sports..... and they don’t like it.
2. More proof that Ohio St - Michigan is more of a ‘bromance’ than a true intense rivalry like Bama- Auburn.

Good points 00. You noted what I referenced in comments about respecting UM vs PSU, from the wrestling thread although one should be able to freely interpolate those references to football freely as ALL buckeye wrestlings fans by residence in this state, are football fans.

Reactions: psu00
They sold out to beat PSU, and it cost them the following week against Iowa. LJ has to be a jerk about PSU, he could have went anywhere except Ohio, ND & Michigan, even Pitt, and i might have respect for him.
He's not going to be a DC, ever.

Good points 00. You noted what I referenced in comments about respecting UM vs PSU, from the wrestling thread although one should be able to freely interpolate those references to football freely as ALL buckeye wrestlings fans by residence in this state, are football fans.

Exactly. I just roll my eyes when I hear the 2 of them talking about their ‘rivalry’.

When I hear the usual November silliness where Ohio St has removed all ‘M’s from signs in buildings or Michigan makes reporters who wear red to practice do push ups I just laugh. They are so infatuated with each other.

It’s basically 4th grade where little Jimmy likes little Susie so he pulls her hair and calls her a name. Then little Susie gets her friends to pick on little Jimmy and say he is ‘mean’. Reality is that little Jimmy and little Susie just want to go get some ice cream together. That’s Ohio St- Michigan in a nutshell. ;)

Last edited:
We are 8-17 vs Ohio State since joining the Big Ten. We've never won two in a row vs Ohio State since joining the conference. We would need to win like 3 or 4 in a row for this to turn into a true rivalry.

Ohio State looks at us like we look at Michigan State. MSU's record vs Penn State since joining the B1G is 8-14 including winning 3 in a row vs us 2010, 2014, 2015,.

We are 8-17 vs Ohio State since joining the Big Ten. We've never won two in a row vs Ohio State since joining the conference. We would need to win like 3 or 4 in a row for this to turn into a true rivalry.

Ohio State looks at us like we look at Michigan State. MSU's record vs Penn State since joining the B1G is 8-14 including winning 3 in a row vs us 2010, 2014, 2015,.

Yeah, right. As if the Land Grant Trophy means nothing to you.

SMH

Living in Ohio, Michigan will always be "the game" for tOSU. Having said that, they see us as much more of a short term threat and, potential long term. They are very confident in Urban, but in the post Urban era, whenever that may be, they are worried.

I live in Columbus and my take is OSU knows that they will beat us in Columbus but they really worry when they go to happy valley.

Just asking while 8-17 is not that impressive, anybody else have 8 or more wins against them in the last 25 games??

Exactly. I just roll my eyes when I hear the 2 of them talking about their ‘rivalry’.

When I hear the usual November silliness where Ohio St has removed all ‘M’s from signs in buildings or Michigan makes reporters who wear red to practice do push ups I just laugh. They are so infatuated with each other.

It’s basically 4th grade where little Jimmy likes little Susie so he pulls her hair and calls her a name. Then little Susie gets her friends to pick on little Jimmy and say he is ‘mean’. Reality is that little Jimmy and little Susie just want to go get some ice cream together. That’s Ohio St- Michigan in a nutshell. ;)

Same little Jimmy that coaches football and does sleepovers?

Reactions: psu00
As an OSU fan, it is a love hate relationship with Michigan. When I was growing up back in the Middle Ages, my version of a perfect season was an undefeated OSU team beating an undefeated Michigan team, to play an undefeated USC in the Rose Bowl for a National Championship. So I often found myself rooting for those other teams throughout the regular season. Of course, that was before 24/7 sports talk radio/TV, and social media. I liked PSU back in those days because I ended up with a PSU Football t-shirt when I was in the 5th grade.

Back in those days when regional recruiting was more prevalent than national recruiting, OSU and Michigan often battled for the same players and most of those players knew each other. So there was a respect. Same went for the coaches.

The truth is that while you see some Buckeye fans who hate Penn State, the most don’t. We respect the N. Lions and know the potential. From a football standpoint, because you’ve won your share and look to be on an even level and a serious threat for the next several years (that’s not a dig, and yes it could be more than just several years) there will be a rivalry of the sorts that we had with MSU the last few years, Wisconsin before that, and even Illinois for awhile.

Answering the question above....Here are the teams in the Big 10 with the most wins against OSU since 1997:

Penn State: 8
MSU, Michigan, Wisky: 5
Purdue: 4
Illinois: 3

We are the closest thing to a rival for them in the Big 10, and considering we suffered more than a few losses in the wake of the scandal and on controversial calls I would say that rivalry will really heat up over the next decade!

OL

Not sure what part of Ohio you live in but here in Cincinnati most OSU fans I know refer to them as Michigan.

Answering the question above....Here are the teams in the Big 10 with the most wins against OSU since 1997:

We are the closest thing to a rival for them in the Big 10, and considering we suffered more than a few losses in the wake of the scandal and on controversial calls I would say that rivalry will really heat up over the next decade!
---

Add two to the win column because the referines gave them at least two wins. Add at least two more as the NCAA, The B1G, and our very own BoT gave them two or three more.
That would put us just about even.

OL
Yes. OSU and PSU are the 2 best programs in the B1G now. Look at the recruitment. BTW, why is OSU "O$U", but it's not P$U?

Illinois has three wins against O$U in 20 years? That many? Wow

Don't think so. Not anymore.

I don't get the bitterness in this thread. It was heartbreaking to lose to them but it was one of the best games in college football last year. Another dozen or so games like that one, and you will be able to call PSU-OSU a great rivalry.

Ohio State has never hated PSU that I've seen. They never fought to keep PSU out of the Big Ten. They were never afraid of Paterno. They're the big dog and Penn State never represented much of a threat.

PSU wins about 30 percent of this series. When PSU is winning close to 50% then it will feel more like a rivalry to them.

Let PSU out-recruit Ohio State just ONCE, let alone 2-3 years in a row, and then PSU starts to represent a threat. Right now it's just kind of like a novelty -- oh Penn State beat us for a recruit or two. They're not exactly panicked about it.

Right now I sense among Ohio State fans a respect for what James Franklin has accomplished, but their program is still at a different level and PSU doesn't really threaten that yet.

As JF pointed out at his recruiting press conference, PSU has averaged the #13 recruiting class in the country the last 4 years. That's good but it is still a LONG LONG way from Ohio State.

Anyway I don't see anything negative in the LJ Sr.'s or the other coach's comments. It implies Penn State is on their radar, they care about beating Penn State, they worry about the PSU game. That's all good.

It got lost in the heartbreak of PSU losing that game last year, but Urban Meyer said it might have been the greatest victory of his career. Beating Penn State meant a lot to him -- and that is a good thing.

If we can put back to back wins on O$U there would be some serious worry here in Columbus. When MSU gave them fits a couple of years ago you could feel the fear factor increase ten fold here.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV

This post nails it when defining OSU-Michigan. I think both day dream about the good old days of "the big 2, little 8", that they could together rule the BIG again. Nevermind that this era ('70's and '80's) was an underwhelming era for both so if you attack one, the other vehemently defends the other otherwise it delegitimizes both if that makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT