ADVERTISEMENT

Does NCAA have rules against videorecording practices/in-game signals

you make a good point. At one point in the game, I was thinking how lucky Temple was to seem to have picked the right offensive and defensive plays on just about every down. Aside from our team's incompetence, it seemed that they were right there to counter any feeble attempt we made. The (near) pic six was case in point; we complete a quick out for a sweet gain and run the exact same play again where the DE runs right into the play as soon as the ball is snapped. yet, on just about every other play, he pinches.

yes they have rules against this and you can not do it. That said, could there be someone in some dorm, or on top of a mountain someplace, with a powerful telescope, watching things?? It wouldn't be the first time that happened. But I highly doubt that is the case. Temple just studied formations, what you can do from them, and what PSU does from them, and played the tendencies. Pretty easy to do, especially once you get a lead.

you make a good point. At one point in the game, I was thinking how lucky Temple was to seem to have picked the right offensive and defensive plays on just about every down. Aside from our team's incompetence, it seemed that they were right there to counter any feeble attempt we made. The (near) pic six was case in point; we complete a quick out for a sweet gain and run the exact same play again where the DE runs right into the play as soon as the ball is snapped. yet, on just about every other play, he pinches.
On the play right before the pick....he didn't do that.....even though it was essentially the same GD play. Must not have gotten the signs that time LOL

Now that I think of it :) maybe that had something to do with it LOL

yes they have rules against this and you can not do it. That said, could there be someone in some dorm, or on top of a mountain someplace, with a powerful telescope, watching things?? It wouldn't be the first time that happened. But I highly doubt that is the case. Temple just studied formations, what you can do from them, and what PSU does from them, and played the tendencies. Pretty easy to do, especially once you get a lead.

Not to mention that Matt Ruhle and much of his staff have PSU and State College connections. I'd hate to think anyone local would work for the opposition, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.....

Because, it surely looked like Temple knew what our offense was doing.

The thing that struck me in this regard was how often Temple choose the correct LB - both in terms of the correct side of the field and whether they looped inside or outside - on their delayed blitzes from various LB positions. It always seemed like the RB motioned to the opposite side, hesitated momentarily looking for someone to pick up, and then, not seeing anyone would continue into a pattern as an eligible receiver, while the delayed blitz LB would come from the opposite side of the field from where the RB was looking and come in clean to the QB.

The thing that struck me in this regard was how often Temple choose the correct LB - both in terms of the correct side of the field and whether they looped inside or outside - on their delayed blitzes from various LB positions. It always seemed like the RB motioned to the opposite side, hesitated momentarily looking for someone to pick up, and then, not seeing anyone would continue into a pattern as an eligible receiver, while the delayed blitz LB would come from the opposite side of the field from where the RB was looking and come in clean to the QB.

They probably weren't "delayed blitzes" per se (they usually are not).

They were probably "green light" (or "option") blitzes......ie the LBer reads the TB (or, in some cases, the TE) and that determines whether he blitzes and where he blitzes.
If the TB (or sometimes, the TE) releases into a pass pattern, the defense (including the LBer) adjusts into a zone or man/zone or pure man coverage - depending on the overall defensive scheme ......if the TB (or TE) stays in to pass protect, the LBer blitzes to the open gap.

It works well when you know where the QB is going to be (ie, 7 yards behind the center - what PSU did on 34 of 35 pass attempts last week) One way to counter that scheme is to move the QB to different spots, because then there is a good chance that the designated "green light" LBer may be so far removed from the QB's location that the blitz is futile.

You can also counter this scheme with quick option routes to slanting wideouts to that soft middle of the defensive backfield (you can't do it with screens and dump offs to the TE or TB, because the LBer won't be blitzing in those situations...he will just be waiting on that TE or TB in coverage).

PSU didn't do ANY of that on Saturday.
Why not? I don't know.....it wasn't like Temple invested that scheme on the fly last week.

Its really a pretty simple concept, and a lot of defenses make heavy use of it (I know that BOB's first DC did).

On Saturday i saw a quote (should have saved it). Temple player or coach said we
knew when they were going to pass,and run we could tell it by their stances and calls.

Exactly the thing that was in my head. Videorecording aside, it's not that hard to imagine a PSU FB player who has a spurned Temple girlfriend, for example.

Why hasn't this happened before? Maybe it has? Maybe it never mattered before. Definately it's easier to capture photos of a playbook or something now that everyone has cell phones.

It does not even mean that coaches know. If 1 or 2 defensive players know what the playcall is going to be, it's a game changer.

It's plausible that if somebody on the other side knew something, it took a quarter-plus for others to believe it was right.

We will see next weekend. It is NOT plausible that this explanation holds weight if performance is similar thru rest of schedule.

Please, Temple D is that good and the PSU line is that bad. Besides how did they out gain the Lions by 170 yards? Maybe, they also knew all the defense's signals. The Nits got their asses kicked pure and simple. Now go on and make the necessary changes and win the rest of the games before meeting the Buckeyes.

Its not hard to predict when you run the same three plays...
Of course that doesnt explain what happened to your defense.....
Brady and Belicheck were seen on campus the other week,,.,

You pretty much explained what happened to our defense in your first sentence.
Losing Whartman was a big loss as was our other starting CB but it wouldn't have mattered. No one was going to help
when your defense was on the field for the entire 2nd half because of said offense.

This thread is an embarrassment. Hell we only ran about 10 plays from like 4 different formations. If they couldn't figure that out they should fire the Temple staff. That offense is formation dependent which is one of its biggest problems. Know the formation, know the play or couple of plays from it. Notice that Temple struggled early but as they charted plays and formations, they learned. Guys, this is basic coaching. Please stop the stupid conspiracy theories, Temple beat us every which way including fair and square. Let's give them credit and move on.

This thread is an embarrassment. Hell we only ran about 10 plays from like 4 different formations. If they couldn't figure that out they should fire the Temple staff. That offense is formation dependent which is one of its biggest problems. Know the formation, know the play or couple of plays from it. Notice that Temple struggled early but as they charted plays and formations, they learned. Guys, this is basic coaching. Please stop the stupid conspiracy theories, Temple beat us every which way including fair and square. Let's give them credit and move on.

Agree. But I think we need to look at who it starting some of these threads and then posting in them. I see several (including the OP)
that I've never seen before.
I thought the OP was (TIC).

temple fans made racial comments about coach Franklin those classless turds.

What do you mean? We're Ghetto University, so we're characterized out there in that vast Alabama between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Why would we, of all fan bases, make racial comments?

Duh! I just figured out what he's talking about. Someone yelled to Franklin, "we own you". Takes quite a leap to spin that racially.

What do you mean? We're Ghetto University, so we're characterized out there in that vast Alabama between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Why would we, of all fan bases, make racial comments?

Duh! I just figured out what he's talking about. Someone yelled to Franklin, "we own you". Takes quite a leap to spin that racially.

The meltdown is real

No thats not what I mean I mean I heard your fans using the n-word and saying things about the color of his skin i cant believe grown men would say such things but haha its temple so i shouldnt be surprised you were probably one of them and all i know is coach paterno would never have stood for such a thing.

No thats not what I mean I mean I heard your fans using the n-word and saying things about the color of his skin i cant believe grown men would say such things but haha its temple so i shouldnt be surprised you were probably one of them and all i know is coach paterno would never have stood for such a thing.

You can't be serious. Guarantee you the general student body at Penn State is more racist than at Temple. Your students are never exposed to any sort of diversity. This is also coming from the fanbase that rioted when their scandal covering coach was fired. I've seen videos of your students throwing beer at Ohio state fans. You're classless.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
You can't be serious. Guarantee you the general student body at Penn State is more racist than at Temple. Your students are never exposed to any sort of diversity. This is also coming from the fanbase that rioted when their scandal covering coach was fired. I've seen videos of your students throwing beer at Ohio state fans. You're classless.
The rioting was justified and that was a Pitt fan throwing beer. Penn State fans have never done anything close to that.

Because, it surely looked like Temple knew what our offense was doing.

When you run the exact same play over and over again, it gets pretty easy to predict your next move.

Philly/Eagles fans know all about this with Andy Reid. When you pass 80% of the time, its pretty smart for the opposing defense to play against the pass. Kinda of a rock-paper-scissors thing - game theory wise, you should mix your plays up a bit more.

ADVERTISEMENT