ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Clemson wants any part of the

If invited, they're gone. Money is too much to turn away. Not a fan of Dabo, but I think he's confident that he can win in the SEC. No coach worth his salt (or $9mm p.a.) thinks otherwise.

Nick Saban is 69 years old and Dabo Sweeney is 51 years old. Guess who is going to be the new coach at Alabama when Saban exits?!?!

Not Dabo. He's an institution at Clemson and his set-up is just where he wants it. He's not going to risk that and try to rebuild it elsewhere.

The play by the SEC was with playoff expansion in mind, right? If we expand to 12 teams, they're betting they can get half or more in based on 'eye test', history, bias, and reputation. Unless they can figure out a way to schedule it so Bama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Auburn and Clemson win 10 games a year, I don't see it happening. But, you never know - money makes people nuts.

No Penn State fan who was around pre-Big 10 should criticize Clemson playing a couple of tough games and the rest mediocre teams

A typical Penn State schedule was two powerhouses (e.g., Alabama, Notre Dame), Pitt, and eight cream puffs
During the 80s when Joe was the AD, Penn State often played one of the tougher schedules in the nation. The "weak independent schedule" narrative is a false one.

Reactions: GreggK and scbob
If invited, they're gone. Money is too much to turn away. Not a fan of Dabo, but I think he's confident that he can win in the SEC. No coach worth his salt (or $9mm p.a.) thinks otherwise.
nope. they're adhering to the FSU formula with Georgia as their "Miami " then coast in conference play

During the 80s when Joe was the AD, Penn State often played one of the tougher schedules in the nation. The "weak independent schedule" narrative is a false one.

Here's 1986. Alabama, Notre Dame, Pitt and.....?

Not Dabo. He's an institution at Clemson and his set-up is just where he wants it. He's not going to risk that and try to rebuild it elsewhere.
You might be right. We'll see. Dabo seems like a self-centered egomaniac to me. I suppose he will go where the money is best. If Alabama perceives that Dabo is the best coach for them they might offer him $30million a year. All they have to do to get that kind of money is tell their deep pocketed alumni that they want it.

They usually play 1 tough OOC game and a few difficult games in their league. They have an easier path to the playoffs in the ACC. The point I was making is that they would not be able to dominate in the SEC. PSU found out the B1G was much more of a weekly grind. I have been a PSU fan since before the entry into the B1G so I understand your point. Just highlighting the uphill battle Clemson would face in the SEC.
I would say that the B1G only became that much of a grind after Penn State entered the conference

You might be right. We'll see. Dabo seems like a self-centered egomaniac to me. I suppose he will go where the money is best. If Alabama perceives that Dabo is the best coach for them they might offer him $30million a year. All they have to do to get that kind of money is tell their deep pocketed alumni that they want it.
Bama is not going to pay Dabo $30mm p.a. unless that's the going rate for top coaches in three years when Saban retires, which it could be given the direction of the sort.

You seem to be fixated on Penn State schedule strength pre-B1G. Look at the linked 1986 schedule strengths and note where B1G teams are ranked. EVERY TEAM was #44 or lower. OTOH, Penn State's schedule strength was #18 which was respectable. Miami was #34. Maybe they didn't deserve a Fiesta Bowl berth. #34. Pathetic.

LINK

... one of the most talented CFB teams of all time in the Fiesta Bowl!

Nick Saban is 69 years old and Dabo Sweeney is 51 years old. Guess who is going to be the new coach at Alabama when Saban exits?!?!
It would make a lot of sense for Sweeney to end up at Alabama, especially since he is an alum. He also may decide he has it better at Clemson. The pressure on him at Alabama would be enormous.

ADVERTISEMENT