ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Clemson wants any part of the

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
SEC? They would have 2-3 losses almost every year, would no longer be the big dog among a few teams that can challenge them in their league, and would have to face a juggernaut schedule. I don't see them making that move. If their league implodes I think they would have more success in the B1G. At this time they enjoy a huge takenl/depth advantage that will be erased with SEC membership. Dido for OSU to the SEC.

Last edited:
SEC? They would have 2-3 losses almost every year, would no longer be the big dog among a few teams that can challenge them in their league, and would have to face a juggernaut schedule. I don't see them making that move. If their league implodes I think they would have more success in the B1G. At this time they enjoy a huge takent/depth advantage that be erased with SEC membership. Dido for OSU to the SEC.
Dildo for OSU to the SEC....FIFY!

SEC? They would have 2-3 losses almost every year, would no longer be the big dog among a few teams that can challenge them in their league, and would have to face a juggernaut schedule. I don't see them making that move. If their league implodes I think they would have more success in the B1G. At this time they enjoy a huge takent/depth advantage that be erased with SEC membership. Dido for OSU to the SEC.

The money trumps the wins.

Yes. They would move.

Most everyone has that opinion, and while it would make life more difficult, since Dabo arrived Clemson has played the SEC teams pretty tough. We forget sometimes that Clemson usually runs into the SEC champ in the playoffs, so they get the best of the league every year. and they rarely get run out of the stadium. Something few SEC members can say. Now wether their able to maintain that strength for a whole season, that’s a subjective opinion. Frankly, as long as Saban is there no one beating Bama on a regular basis. Also I don’t think that OSU’s present stranglehold on the BIG is as secure as what BAMA has.

They would move for the money but they would not be in the playoffs ever year anymore - they won’t have the ACC cupcake schedule any longer but an expanded layoff may get them in anyway.

No need to. They operate like a SEC school, yet are not in SEC. They are living the charmed life right now. Plus they are not scared to schedule at least one hard OOC game most seasons.

No Penn State fan who was around pre-Big 10 should criticize Clemson playing a couple of tough games and the rest mediocre teams

A typical Penn State schedule was two powerhouses (e.g., Alabama, Notre Dame), Pitt, and eight cream puffs

Reactions: BW Lion and brupsu
Most everyone has that opinion, and while it would make life more difficult, since Dabo arrived Clemson has played the SEC teams pretty tough. We forget sometimes that Clemson usually runs into the SEC champ in the playoffs, so they get the best of the league every year. and they rarely get run out of the stadium. Something few SEC members can say. Now wether their able to maintain that strength for a whole season, that’s a subjective opinion. Frankly, as long as Saban is there no one beating Bama on a regular basis. Also I don’t think that OSU’s present stranglehold on the BIG is as secure as what BAMA has.
There is a difference between getting up for a couple of games in the playoffs and having an entire schedule where you have to be up almost every week. That's what has plagued PSU. They schedule Michigan and Ohio St back to back most years. Last year they started us with Indiana which was a surprise top 15 team and followed that up with Ohio St. Right now Clemson never gets caught looking ahead and is never coming off of back to back emotional knock out, drag out fights. It's cake walk, playoff.

No Penn State fan who was around pre-Big 10 should criticize Clemson playing a couple of tough games and the rest mediocre teams

A typical Penn State schedule was two powerhouses (e.g., Alabama, Notre Dame), Pitt, and eight cream puffs
I very much disagree. Your statement is fatuous; nobody plays more than "two powerhouses" every year, and Penn State certainly did not play 8 "creampuffs."

What would you say about the schedules of 1960s powerhouse Texas? Arkansas and 9 creampuffs?

What about 1970s Nebraska? Oklahoma and 9 creampuffs?

Ohio State for decades? Michigan and 8 or 9 creampuffs?

Your criticism reeks of mythical legend, that Penn State feasted on Temple and Rutgers every week. If you take the time to actually research Penn State's schedules prior to 1993, you would find them as difficult as If not more difficult than major powers of the era.

Last edited:
I very much disagree. Your statement is fatuous; nobody plays more than "two powerhouses" every year, and Penn State certainly did not play 8 "creampuffs."

What would you say about the schedules of 1960s powerhouse Texas? Arkansas and 9 creampuffs?

Your criticism reeks of mythical legend, that Penn State feasted on Temple and Rutgers every week. If you take the time to actually research Penn State's schedules prior to 1993, you would find them as difficult as info more difficult than major powers of the era.

Funny that WVU, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College won bowl games on a regular basis against those powerhouse second tier B10 B12 SEC and PAC opponents.

They usually play 1 tough OOC game and a few difficult games in their league. They have an easier path to the playoffs in the ACC. The point I was making is that they would not be able to dominate in the SEC. PSU found out the B1G was much more of a weekly grind. I have been a PSU fan since before the entry into the B1G so I understand your point. Just highlighting the uphill battle Clemson would face in the SEC.

There is a difference between getting up for a couple of games in the playoffs and having an entire schedule where you have to be up almost every week. That's what has plagued PSU. They schedule Michigan and Ohio St back to back most years. Last year they started us with Indiana which was a surprise top 15 team and followed that up with Ohio St. Right now Clemson never gets caught looking ahead and is never coming off of back to back emotional knock out, drag out fights. It's cake walk, playoff.
Truth.

Your criticism reeks of mythical legend, that Penn State feasted on Temple and Rutgers every week. If you take the time to actually research Penn State's schedules prior to 1993, you would find them as difficult as info more difficult than major powers of the era.
Thanks. Saved me the time in responding to that hogwash......

At least one of the 1980’s NC’s was against THE toughest schedule in the country.

I seem to remember many years ago there was a post here about the old "Eastern Independent" schools records against the Big 10. If you removed Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan from the equation, the eastern schools had a winning record against the Big 10.

And this year we get to start off with Wisconsin.

Reactions: Shadow99
Clemson has done a better job of beating Bama than anybody else. And they would be in the East division. So no LSU. No Auburn. It would be essentially like putting Bama in the East.

Clemson has done a better job of beating Bama than anybody else. And they would be in the East division. So no LSU. No Auburn. It would be essentially like putting Bama in the East.
Bama would beat them regularly if they played every year during the season.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Bama would beat them regularly if they played every year during the season.

Definitely. I'd say Dabo would be lucky to pull off 3 in 10 if they met every year like a division opponent. It's been the best anyone has done since '08 (without looking to verify).

Definitely. I'd say Dabo would be lucky to pull off 3 in 10 if they met every year like a division opponent. It's been the best anyone has done since '08 (without looking to verify).
Historically Bama has held the upper hand. However in the 21st century, since 2008 they have met five times. In that year Bowden was still the head Clemson coach for that game. With both Dabo and Saban as head coaches they have split four games two apiece. That doesn’t sound like regular beatings, but I don’t want to disturb the narrative. Now I don’t know how they would match up every year as conference opponents, (honestly no one knows for certain, but we all have an opinion) but automatically relegating them to being annually beaten maybe a stretch. Especially as long as Dabo is there, and before I’m assaulted I’m NOT a Dabo fan.
Now if he left the advantage would definitely switch to Bama. Now if Saban left and Sweeney stayed Bama may regress. It’s happened to them before.

Reactions: Fac and lazydave841
Historically Bama has held the upper hand. However in the 21st century, since 2008 they have met five times. In that year Bowden was still the head Clemson coach for that game. With both Dabo and Saban as head coaches they have split four games two apiece. That doesn’t sound like regular beatings, but I don’t want to disturb the narrative. Now I don’t know how they would match up every year as conference opponents, (honestly no one knows for certain, but we all have an opinion) but automatically relegating them to being annually beaten maybe a stretch. Especially as long as Dabo is there, and before I’m assaulted I’m NOT a Dabo fan.
Now if he left the advantage would definitely switch to Bama. Now if Saban left and Sweeney stayed Bama may regress. It’s happened to them before.
Again, who plays in the tougher league week to week? Bama, hands down.

SEC? They would have 2-3 losses almost every year, would no longer be the big dog among a few teams that can challenge them in their league, and would have to face a juggernaut schedule. I don't see them making that move. If their league implodes I think they would have more success in the B1G. At this time they enjoy a huge takenl/depth advantage that will be erased with SEC membership. Dido for OSU to the SEC.
I think Clemson is an elite football program as long as Dabo Sweeney is there. There is no question they would not be as dominant in the SEC. I am also interested to see what happens to them when Sweeney leaves. They were a good, not great program before he showed up. I also think Alabama is going to take a step back when Nick Saban leaves. Alabama's history is largely due to two coaches. Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. While they certainly had some good teams, there was a whole lot of mediocrity between Bryant and Saban. It takes the right guy to put up with everything surrounding that program. Almost every program goes through a down period. Look at all of the so called blue bloods like Alabama, Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida, Florida State, and Nebraska. They have all slipped at one time or another and some of them have had a really hard time getting off the deck.

I don't mean it as a negative towards Dabo and Clemson whatsoever.

It's strictly about Saban and Bama. He's dominated the SEC.

I think Malzahn had 3 wins against him and it wasn't enough to give him any job security. He didn't have enough 1-loss years to probably even out, but still, he got 'em up for the Iron Bowl.

Additionally, Clemson's best conference opponent most years: how do you think they would have done in the SEC? (I think fighting for 5th overall would be generous)

I don't think the SEC is the complete week in week out "blood bath" former Bulldog CB Stokes labelled it this week, but it's still much much tougher than the ACC has been.

If anybody would have success moving to the SEC, Clemson definitely gets my vote right now.

But until Saban goes...

Or starts losing...

Reactions: Thomas1945

When PSU won the NC they played the toughest schedule in the nation.

Again, who plays in the tougher league week to week? Bama, hands down.
Of course Bama plays a tougher schedule, only an idiot would deny that. Unfortunately for your reply, that wasn’t what I was addressing. I merely responded to comments that Clemson would be regularly beaten by Bama. I showed how recent History has proven that incorrect especially with the present coaches.

Now do I think that if Clemson ( as presently coached ) was in the SEC would they dominate? No I don’t think they would. Conversely would they be an annual tomato can for Bama? No, I don’t believe that recent actual game results tend to prove that. But then again I’m just presenting facts that recent results provide. . Personally I don’t care if Clemson ever wins another game.

I don't mean it as a negative towards Dabo and Clemson whatsoever.

It's strictly about Saban and Bama. He's dominated the SEC.

I think Malzahn had 3 wins against him and it wasn't enough to give him any job security. He didn't have enough 1-loss years to probably even out, but still, he got 'em up for the Iron Bowl.

Additionally, Clemson's best conference opponent most years: how do you think they would have done in the SEC? (I think fighting for 5th overall would be generous)

I don't think the SEC is the complete week in week out "blood bath" former Bulldog CB Stokes labelled it this week, but it's still much much tougher than the ACC has been.

If anybody would have success moving to the SEC, Clemson definitely gets my vote right now.

But until Saban goes...

Or starts losing...
I think Clemson’s best ACC opponent would probably be an annual cellar dweller in the SEC. That’s what makes their post season success so intriguing to me. Everyone says they receive almost a free pass to the playoffs, which I agree.

But I have to give the devil his due, because if you take a weak champion in any sport that beat up on weaklings and make him play a battle hardened beast he usually gets his head handed to him. But that just hasn’t been the case here. Just perhaps, free pass or not, their a better team than people choose to acknowledge.

Reactions: lazydave841
Funny that WVU, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College won bowl games on a regular basis against those powerhouse second tier B10 B12 SEC and PAC opponents.
Some of these wet behind the ears posters here call themselve PSU fans and don't know the history of the program. Too bad some of us were PSU fans in the 50s and studied the history of PSU football from it's inception till today.

God, I had to get my Irish grandfather drunk in his hammock on Saturdays while he was listening to the so called Fighting Irish so I could turn the radio to real Pink and Black football...

Lol

I think Clemson’s best ACC opponent would probably be an annual cellar dweller in the SEC. That’s what makes their post season success so intriguing to me. Everyone says they receive almost a free pass to the playoffs, which I agree.

But I have to give the devil his due, because if you take a weak champion in any sport that beat up on weaklings and make him play a battle hardened beast he usually gets his head handed to him. But that just hasn’t been the case here. Just perhaps, free pass or not, their a better team than people choose to acknowledge.

Coaching stability is huge. Defensive coordinator has been there for years. He's probably top 3-5 as far as pay goes and seemingly has no desire to leave. Offensive staff had been the same with co-OCs until this past year and they still kept one of the guys.

Dabo's early teams who made the playoff tended to be a bit older than his current iterations as well. They had 3-4 DL return the one year when they were all going to be highly drafted. Etienne last year (I think). Probably more examples.

Clemson has been the clear cut #2 for 4-6 years now. Unquestionable.

Yeah, like 1982 when they played five Top-15 teams before beating #1 in the Sugar Bowl. Or 1983 when they played six Top-20 teams. Or 1984 when they played four Top-20 teams. Boy I miss those cream puff schedules!

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike Dabo any more:

This guy should be in jail, not playing football this week.

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike Dabo any more:

This guy should be in jail, not playing football this week.
My god. For non Clemson football players, what are the legal ramifications of something like this? Obviously a law suit and you would have to pay for the persons medical expense at minimum?

The SEC is a paper tiger. Neither Ohio State nor Clemson would have much to fear outside of Alabama and which ever of Florida/Georgia/LSU were actually good. Rarely does the SEC field more than two legit top fifteen teams.

I think Clemson is an elite football program as long as Dabo Sweeney is there. There is no question they would not be as dominant in the SEC. I am also interested to see what happens to them when Sweeney leaves. They were a good, not great program before he showed up. I also think Alabama is going to take a step back when Nick Saban leaves. Alabama's history is largely due to two coaches. Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. While they certainly had some good teams, there was a whole lot of mediocrity between Bryant and Saban. It takes the right guy to put up with everything surrounding that program. Almost every program goes through a down period. Look at all of the so called blue bloods like Alabama, Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida, Florida State, and Nebraska. They have all slipped at one time or another and some of them have had a really hard time getting off the deck.
Nick Saban is 69 years old and Dabo Sweeney is 51 years old. Guess who is going to be the new coach at Alabama when Saban exits?!?!

My god. For non Clemson football players, what are the legal ramifications of something like this? Obviously a law suit and you would have to pay for the persons medical expense at minimum?
There is certainly civil liability and I think in many states a felony vehicular assault charge would be likely. But apparently SC has very weak laws when it comes to traffic accidents resulting in harm:

Regardless, I don't see how you let this guy play this week. You don't go 115 mph by accident.

ADVERTISEMENT