ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think a position change to TE for Justin Shorter might make sense?

HE HAD 1 BAD GAME! Good lord, maybe he only had 1 bad qtr. He doesn't get open....before Minnesota when they threw him the ball he caught it.

But the problem is, he doesn't get open. He doesn't get open enough to make him a viable option. it is because he can't get open vs CB's. that is why the OP probably mentioned a change so he can get different match ups.

I believe you need to watch all of the 2019 games over again. Shorter had lots of drops before that game and those drops were discussed on this forum earlier this season.

The problem seems to be that Shorter must look good in practice but does not seem to make the catches in the actual games. Another problem seems to be that there is no WR on the roster to replace him that can make more plays than shorter. With 2 games to go this regular season we may have to wait until the 5 2020 WR commits are on the roster to see improved WR play.....

He is already at the upper limits of size for a WR and seems to have difficulty getting open against CBs. He has the speed to make a change from 235 lbs to 250 or so without being seriously slowed down. He is a willing blocker too.

Guys go from TE to OT, S to LBer, so why not WR to TE?

It seems to me that he could use a change before entering the portal.
He need to lose 20lbs, then maybe it can get some separation on db's

I believe you need to watch all of the 2019 games over again. Shorter had lots of drops before that game and those drops were discussed on this forum earlier this season.

The problem seems to be that Shorter must look good in practice but does not seem to make the catches in the actual games. Another problem seems to be that there is no WR on the roster to replace him that can make more plays than shorter. With 2 games to go this regular season we may have to wait until the 5 2020 WR commits are on the roster to see improved WR play.....
You must have a low threshold for lots of drops. I’d be surprised if he had more than two before Minnesota. I remember him having a catch during the first series a couple games and then not being targeted again. The discussions I remember were why doesn’t Clifford throw to him

Reactions: KnightSlayer
I guess the coaches have no responsibility? Really?

That’s not what the post that I was responding to said. The post said he wasn’t being coached properly. As I said since the other receivers don’t have his issues, how is that a coaching issue?

Ten games into the season the starting WR loses his spot to a 5th year former walk on with a limited football background who was moved from a different WR spot.
So, I would say for the remainder of this season and next preseason, the WR “ X “ position is taking applications.

HE HAD 1 BAD GAME! Good lord, maybe he only had 1 bad qtr. He doesn't get open....before Minnesota when they threw him the ball he caught it.

But the problem is, he doesn't get open. He doesn't get open enough to make him a viable option. it is because he can't get open vs CB's. that is why the OP probably mentioned a change so he can get different match ups.

And as another poster pointed out, isn’t having him play another position going to compound his issues since it will require adjustments? I am not giving up on him as a WR. Sometimes all it takes is one big catch or game and the light goes on. Let’s hope it happens Saturday since he is a mismatch with his size if he does.

I agree. It seems his drops vs Minnesota have created a narrative that it has been all season. I can’t remember any drops prior to Minnesota. All the conversation was about Clifford not throwing to him. Unfortunately, the staff decided to target him more early vs Minnesota and he didn’t respond
It's time to bring some FACTS to this narrative that JS is dropping a lot of passes. I went back and reviewed the play by play reports on the psu stats site for all 10 games and here is what it shows:

Shorter has been targeted 16 times and has 9 receptions on the year giving him 7 incomplete on the year. We know he dropped 2 in the MN game and that doesn't include the first drive interception.

So, we are now down to 4 other incompletions on the year. Without going back and watching each game in its entirety, I can't tell you whether or not those other 4 were "drops" or errant passes - probably 1 or 2 of each.

Regardless, he has managed to catch 9 of 16 balls thrown to him, so let's stop the bitching and complaining that he has the dropsies because the facts tell us otherwise (I am not saying you are the one complaining danville nit - just tagging on to your post).

Reactions: KnightSlayer
Yeah it’s the coaches fault that a kid who was supposed to be one of the top high school recovers in his class hasn’t been able to (1) get open and (2) catch the ball. Apparently the coaches are coaching Shorter differently than Hamler, Friermuth, Dotson, etc. because they don’t have any problem with either. Seriously what a stupid post.
Its always about the coaches......

He is already at the upper limits of size for a WR and seems to have difficulty getting open against CBs. He has the speed to make a change from 235 lbs to 250 or so without being seriously slowed down. He is a willing blocker too.

Guys go from TE to OT, S to LBer, so why not WR to TE?

It seems to me that he could use a change before entering the portal.

Right after the follow your advice of moving Toney to LB,

Thank you for bringing some common sense to this discussion. Yes, he dropped 2 passes in the MN game. He has caught a total of 9 all year. So that is a total of 11 passes thrown to him (confirmed). Have there been a few other drops - probably, but I can't specifically remember many - unlike Johnson and Polk who seemingly dropped 3 out of every 4 balls thrown their way last year.

If someone wants to take the time to review the play by play of each game (available at the PSU sports site), they can provide a definitive answer to how many times Shorter has been targeted. My general recollection is that he doesn't get more than 1 or 2 balls thrown to him each game. For comparison here are the receptions of - Hamler (46 receptions), Freiermuth (34), Dotson (22), Slade (12), Brown (11). Bowers (9).

So, the real issue is why is he only getting 1 or 2 targets a game? Somebody on the staff knows the answer. We don't.

Problem is rahne.

I think the Shorter question is a combination of issues. Is it scheme? Is it confidence? Is it timing? Is it the play calling? Is it a 1st year starter at QB? Maybe all of the above. All I know is that when you go through a game with only a couple of catches from the X receiver, you got problems. You won't win the biggest games. You got to find a way to get it done. Other teams have completed lots of passes against PSU with X receivers less talented than Justin Short. Even though he has a few drops on the year, I think there are bigger problems. A lot of times he is just not getting open. Several times he was behind the secondary or breaking clear and was not targeted. Clifford did not help him for sure on the Minnesota interception near the goal line. That ball was severely under thrown on a play that should of been a touchdown. For a team that needs explosive plays generated by mismatches, we aren't doing a great job. Maybe thats what happens when you are so young that over 80% of your scoring is from freshman or sophomores. I like Rahne, but at the same time, I miss our previous coordinator where I was often surprised at the play call. It does seem like we are a lot more predictable. But hey, thats why I'm not a coach. I'd be running counters with fakes to Hamler and jet sweeps to Journey Brown all the time and probably leading the nation in 3 and outs.....Well anyway, to compete against OSU, we have to make plays on the outside. They definitely will and we will need to if we hope to match them. They have done it all year long with a great run game, we haven't yet.

He........Doesn't..........Get...........Open!

The first dropped slant against Minny was contested, he has no separation at all. The second he wasn't really open either (although it was a poorly under thrown ball).

Hurts me to say it because he is a physical specimen....but if he cant get open out wide, then why not try a few routes from the inside.

Isn't it the task of coaches to put their players in the best position to succeed? That might include finding them the best fit. Someone just posted about moving Ricky Slade to the slot. Isn't it possible that could be a good move for all concerned? These 5 star kids want to get to the next level. I don't think they care how they get there so long as they have a chance. Right now, neither Shorter nor Slade are living up to their own expectations I would guess. They may be amenable to a move.

Shorter would have to "give up" on his dream to be an NFL WR. As a 5 star coming out of HS.....I doubt that is even close to happening. Just my opinion, but I think he'd leave first. In addition, we have no idea what the coaches think....have they given up on him being a quality WR? Perhaps they have more patience than some fans.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I have a better idea. Lets allow him to get better in the program instead of writing him off after 1 season. Players can and do actually get better. I realize that this may be shocking to a lot of fans, but he still has a bright future at the position.

Reactions: JBott
I have a better idea. Lets allow him to get better in the program instead of writing him off after 1 season. Players can and do actually get better. I realize that this may be shocking to a lot of fans, but he still has a bright future at the position.
He had chances all season long. His season is over and he will get a 2nd Chance next season.

Harsh, but true. It’s almost, but not quite as bad as an RB with fumbilitis.
Dropped balls cost possessions because you can’t get first downs.
I don’t think LB is an option here. Drops can be cured as in the case of Bryant Johnson and Gesicki, but the inability to get separation and contest catches are a bigger concern.

I don't see the inability to get separation with Shorter. I see a lot of impatience in the fan base and baseless claims. Same goes with George and Sullivan Brown.... I hope Clifford uses them all this weekend.... let's see what goes the rest of the year.

Shorter seemed to catch the ball fine today against 5 star db's.

A lesson in over-reaction one way or the other...

A wise man once said “You're never as good as you think you are when you win; and you're never as bad as you feel when you lose.” ;)

Shorter seemed to catch the ball fine today against 5 star db's.

A lesson in over-reaction one way or the other...

A wise man once said “You're never as good as you think you are when you win; and you're never as bad as you feel when you lose.” ;)

Yes he did. Hopefully that will jump start him for bigger things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT