ADVERTISEMENT

do not understand strange reaction of some UMich fans

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
today a buddy of mine from NW had lunch near campus with a couple UM grads who work in the city. these guys were totally down re Utah game. I thought UM did 10x better than what I expected. their team is essentially the same guys as last year minus the BEST players. I thought they were going to get beat by at least 20 pts. these guys somehow thought that Jimmy was coming in and win the BIG in his first year. we both suggested they get ready for a couple more losses - and Urby is going to be seeking to send the big message to them when he goes to AA in November. the concept that this is a 3-5 year turnaround seems too much to stomach. Harbaugh has a pretty empty cupboard - not exactly what OBrien inherited but close.

just being objective their BEST case to beat tOSU is at least in year 3 or later. I think they are over estimating his impact, and may not realize how far behind they are in players.

today a buddy of mine from NW had lunch near campus with a couple UM grads who work in the city. these guys were totally down re Utah game. I thought UM did 10x better than what I expected. their team is essentially the same guys as last year minus the BEST players. I thought they were going to get beat by at least 20 pts. these guys somehow thought that Jimmy was coming in and win the BIG in his first year. we both suggested they get ready for a couple more losses - and Urby is going to be seeking to send the big message to them when he goes to AA in November. the concept that this is a 3-5 year turnaround seems too much to stomach. Harbaugh has a pretty empty cupboard - not exactly what OBrien inherited but close.

just being objective their BEST case to beat tOSU is at least in year 3 or later. I think they are over estimating his impact, and may not realize how far behind they are in players.

Harbaugh was something like 9-15 at Stanford without Andrew luck and then 20-5 with luck.........this guy gets WAAAYYY too much credit as a head coach. Andrew Luck bailed him out and Stanford football has been doing just fine since jimbo left. I also don't buy the empty cupboard b.s. They have plenty of talent right now.

Harbaugh was something like 9-15 at Stanford without Andrew luck and then 20-5 with luck.........this guy gets WAAAYYY too much credit as a head coach. Andrew Luck bailed him out and Stanford football has been doing just fine since jimbo left. I also don't buy the empty cupboard b.s. They have plenty of talent right now.
Wait this guy did get to the super bowl!!!!

With a great defense built on the past era's draft picks, a poor offensive system that only worked because of a freakishly fast freak athlete at quarterback and a great offensive line built on past draft picks.

He's being exposed. Deal with it.

Reactions: mn78psu83

Michigan's recruiting classes were rated 7th nationally in 2012 and 5th nationally in 2013. I don't think the cupboards are as bare as you think. Frank Clark is now in the NFL but Jabrill Peppers has returned from injury.

I think Michigan is going to be tough to beat this year. Utah is a good opponent, especially when you have to travel across country and play at their stadium. Of course they have a difficult schedule ahead of them. They still play Oregon State and BYU OOC in addition to PSU, OSU, & MSU. Sounds like 7-5 to me.

And lost the game with really, really stupid play calls at the end!! Remember the three fades to the corner of the end zone in a row to a blanketed receiver from the 2 yard line when they could have stuffed it down Baltimore's throat?

Michigan will be good in a year or two...and Utah is good right now. I don't think anyone who really follows college football should be surprised by thursday night.

This is the same thing that people say on here all the time when PSU does bad. We need a new coach, he doesn't know how to coach, blah blah blah. Some people think you can take a bunch of us guys from the message board and have that be a NC team with the right coaching. Coaching plays a role, but you need the right people for your system and he may not have that. Like someone said look how good he did when Luck was at stanford. Easily the best QB of the last several years, so no wonder they looked good.

JH is a good coach, and he'll have Michy winning again in due time. Of course then he'll jump back into the league since he'll never be able live down his brother having a ring at his expense.

Agree with most of what you said except for the "empty cupboard". Hoke recruited pretty well.

I agree and im a Michigan fan. I think 7-5 or 8-4 for this team would be a great season. I think there are tools to work with because Hoke did recruit well. One of the problems is Hoke created a country club type atmosphere and that needs to be changed which sometimes can take a bit of time. I look at PSU and Michigan as having very similar teams at the moment. OL on both teams must improve throughout this year for either team to have any success. I think both programs have really good staffs and it will only be a matter of time before both programs are making the impact in CFB that they are used to over the years. I will say those on here trying to say that JH is not a good coach just don't know football or are just doing what most fans of other teams do in talking smack which is fine. Good luck this year and I'm looking forward to making my first trip to PSU for the Michigan game this year. We are a house divided around here as my wife is a big PSU fan so I'm looking forward to today's game as we watch all games together each weekend. Good luck to you guys today and happy holiday weekend to you all.

The cupboard is definitely not empty, as many have already stated. Harbaugh is a good coach. However, his success will depend on the kinds of athletes he can recruit that fit the kind of system he wants to run. Like the utah coach said, 80% of the game is recruiting. If he gets good recruits he'll win. If he doesn't he won't. Umich will probably lose around 5 games this year, but that shouldn't make any umich fan lose confidence.
But for me the fact that PSU is outrecruiting umich in Harbaugh's first year bodes well for us PSU fans.

Last edited:
The cub

The cupboard is definitely not empty, as many have already stated. Harbaugh is a good coach. However, his success will depend on the kinds of athletes he can recruit that fit the kind of system he wants to run. Like the utah coach said, 80% of the game is recruiting. If he gets good recruits he'll win. If he doesn't he won't. Umich will probably lose around 5 games this year, but that shouldn't make any umich fan lose confidence.
But for me the fact that PSU is outrecruiting umich in Harbaugh's first year bodes well for us PSU fans.
Looks pretty empty to me. DL ok, no qb at all, the rest pretty bad. Harbaugh job is to recruit.

Michigan fans always think their football team is better than it really is. The has been true since since Bo was getting his ass handed to him at the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: jj410
Looks pretty empty to me. DL ok, no qb at all, the rest pretty bad. Harbaugh job is to recruit.
Not according to the past few years rankings by recruiting services. As much as we all complain, the best teams are almost always the ones with the best recruiting rankings. They are subjective, but it really isn't difficult to discern who the best players are at the HS level.

Not according to the past few years rankings by recruiting services. As much as we all complain, the best teams are almost always the ones with the best recruiting rankings. They are subjective, but it really isn't difficult to discern who the best players are at the HS level.
Rivals says #50 in 2015 and #31 in 2014, which are key classes for this year,s team. Watching them, they are not good and have no qb or speed on D. 2013 and 2016 are better recruiting years but not a big help. This should be their nadir this year and maybe next, a lull in talent.

It literally cracks me up how one game will make all of them change their impressions. One week ago Harbaugh was going to take over the world. He sure as hell was going to win 10 games and beat Penn State. Now people are "happy with 7-5".

Baloney.

Actually if you look at the last 2 classes Brady H signed there is a lot of talent on that team. He had to retool the linr of scrimmage from RichRod days. Jimmy will have a meltdown and be gone by year 4

Hardball will fail. He will jump before Meat ever gets a chance to run him out. Meat is the same Meat they have always been: The K-Mart of the Mid West.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

It literally cracks me up how one game will make all of them change their impressions. One week ago Harbaugh was going to take over the world. He sure as hell was going to win 10 games and beat Penn State. Now people are "happy with 7-5".

Baloney.
Yup. Few fans don't have realistic expectations and that's the fans rival fan bases look at. Just like this board has fans saying PSU can win it all. It's what fans do. Realistically I see Michigan at 7-5 or 8-4 and have dealt that way all along. PSU I think is looking at around 9-3. IMO the PSU - Michigan game this year is a toss up with a slight edge to PSU because it's a home game for you guys.

Yup. Few fans don't have realistic expectations and that's the fans rival fan bases look at. Just like this board has fans saying PSU can win it all. It's what fans do. Realistically I see Michigan at 7-5 or 8-4 and have dealt that way all along. PSU I think is looking at around 9-3. IMO the PSU - Michigan game this year is a toss up with a slight edge to PSU because it's a home game for you guys.
9-3? We'll take it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT