ADVERTISEMENT

Did you meet your wife/husband at Penn State .......

No. But our second date was at Monster Jam at the Spectrum. It was a test and she passed.

I think everyone who has read your posts knows how much you loved your wife and she loved you in return. It may not be of much comfort to you, but your posts have made me realize the uncertainty of life; to appreciate my wife all the more; and to try to be a better husband.

You're a good dude, fair. It actually does give me some comfort to think that some guy I've never met has in some small way been moved by our story.

Our relationship wasn't perfect by any stretch. We both made each other crazy at times. I was often insensitive to her needs and she .... well, she was always right. Many nights now I lie in bed and think about the times I disappointed her - nothing major, but stupid little things when I just didn't think about her feelings - the kinds of things that most men suck at. But she always got over it - she understood the nature of men.

I always prayed every night and asked God to make me the best husband I could possibly be. If you can do that, I believe that everything else in your life will fall into place. I think it worked for me.

Geez, another shrink session for me courtesy of the McAndrew board.

My wife and I graduated from Penn State the same year, and we had a friend in common, but we didn't meet at Penn State. However, we met at an alumni event about 10 years after graduating

Reactions: maxxedout
Nope, I didn't. She attended Bowling Green and I graced the campuses of Toledo and Defiance College.
Met at Sweetbriar Golf Course in Avon Lake (west suburb of Cleveland) where I was working. This really good looking lady came walking up the driveway with her friends, and I told the guys in the pro shop I was going to ask out the one in yellow.
I didn't. We had leagues that night, she was going to leave and golf elsewhere, but I convinced her to stay - because I bought the group a couple pitchers of beer! :)
Next night she calls the course and asks me out to a Tribe game. I was working and couldn't go.

First date was golf and a stop at Around the Corner in Lakewood for wings.

OL
SIL lives in Avon lake. Nice town....

Reactions: OhioLion
.... and if so, what was your first date?

------A little break from Spanier trial discussion---------

I think you all know my story, but I ask because this week (March 19th to be exact) marked the 35th anniversary of our first date - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Eisenhower Auditorium. The rest was history. I didn't think about it much this week, but I usually open a nice bottle of wine on Friday night, and, well, wine transports me me back in time these days.

So, what's your story?
Didn't know her then but know her now. Life is good.

Flags all over the place in this thread
200w.gif

Reactions: Fac
Kind of - do you count HMC as Penn State? I was a grad student (yes, that is a Penn State degree) and she was a lab tech (having gotten her BS at main campus a couple years earlier). Our first date was to be a Billy Joel concert but something happened nearby on March 28, 1979 that caused it to be cancelled.

Reactions: maxxedout
Yes. We were both in graduate school -- I was in my first year right out of getting my undergrad degree at PSU; she was in her second year (out of WVU). Our first date was at . . . The Phyrst. Classy, I know. It was homecoming weekend and many of my graduated friends showed up -- I think it made me appear more popular. By coincidence, today is our 34th wedding anniversary!

Reactions: PSU77sh
This has turned into a very interesting thread CF Lion. I don't recall a similar one since I've been on this board. I know it is bittersweet for you, but I thank you for starting it.

Happy Hour at the Cafe. I had great tickets to the basketball game the next night. While listening to John Cunningham, a mutual friend introduced us, I immediately asked her to the game. We had dinner at Highway Pizza Sat night., (another place was full, can't remember the name), went to the game...had great conversation the whole night. Best first date I ever had.

You're a good dude, fair. It actually does give me some comfort to think that some guy I've never met has in some small way been moved by our story.

Our relationship wasn't perfect by any stretch. We both made each other crazy at times. I was often insensitive to her needs and she .... well, she was always right. Many nights now I lie in bed and think about the times I disappointed her - nothing major, but stupid little things when I just didn't think about her feelings - the kinds of things that most men suck at. But she always got over it - she understood the nature of men.

I always prayed every night and asked God to make me the best husband I could possibly be. If you can do that, I believe that everything else in your life will fall into place. I think it worked for me.

Geez, another shrink session for me courtesy of the McAndrew board.
Didn't know you had lost her. Sorry to hear. I will take your advice. I do go to sleep every night thanking god for my family and friends, and especially my best friend next to me.

Yes, I met my ex-wife at Penn State. In fact, we got engaged at Penn State, and I do not hold it against Dear Old State.

I met her at PS New Kensington in Chemistry class (of course) and was quite captivated by her. All semester long, we would chat and I did not ask her out all semester, as I feared she would say no or was seeing someone. So on the day of the final, we agreed to meet in the PSNK library and quiz each other and instead we chatted for three hours getting to know one another and very little about chemistry. I finished the test, and as I went up to turn my test in, she handed me her phone number and said, "Call me."

While I went to main campus the next two years, she would come up and visit most weekends. I bought an engagement ring at Kranich's and made payments while working work-study. I was trying to think of some place that was special to us and I remembered how she told me she was hoping I'd ask her out in the library before our final and she was disappointed that I didn't, to which I promised I'd make it up to her someday.

In keeping with a pattern of numbers: her birthday was the 23rd of May, our first date was the 23rd of November, I had the ring paid off and thought I'd propose on Dec. 23rd while I was home on Christmas break, and NO the engagement ring wasn't her Christmas present.

Well, in wanting to propose in the library at PSNK, I wrote to the president of the campus, and he was more than happy to help. He said that they would open the building for me and the librarian was more than happy to help out.

I came home on the 22nd and went shopping for champagne (recommended to me by someone who wrote a wine review column he may have been a PSU professor I no longer recall) and some champagne glasses. She was disappointed as she wanted to spend time with me since I was home, but I told her I had to go Christmas shopping for her (I had her shopping already done).

I got up early the next morning, took the champagne and glasses to the library, and put them in the exact same spot where we chatted in the library before our final.

I then went to see her and told her that I wanted to run to PSNK’s library, as it was the only place that had a particular magazine that listed job opportunities. She said she wanted to go with me and on that snowy morning, she never suspected why there were only three other cars in the school parking lot. We went in and the receptionist and a custodial person were at the front desk chatting with the shi*tiest looking grins as we said hello and walked to the library.

The librarian said hello to us also with a big shi*ty grin. I had her sit in the exact same desks we sat at that day before our final and she could not see that on my desk was the champagne and glasses. I said to her, "Do you remember we sat here when we were supposed to study for our chemistry final?" She said, "Yes and I was so disappointed you didn't ask me out." I said, "Do you remember I said that I'd make up to you?" Then I got on my knee and proposed to which she said, "You bet."

So even romantically, Penn State is a special place for me.

Yes, I met my ex-wife at Penn State. In fact, we got engaged at Penn State, and I do not hold it against Dear Old State.

I met her at PS New Kensington in Chemistry class (of course) and was quite captivated by her. All semester long, we would chat and I did not ask her out all semester, as I feared she would say no or was seeing someone. So on the day of the final, we agreed to meet in the PSNK library and quiz each other and instead we chatted for three hours getting to know one another and very little about chemistry. I finished the test, and as I went up to turn my test in, she handed me her phone number and said, "Call me."

While I went to main campus the next two years, she would come up and visit most weekends. I bought an engagement ring at Kranich's and made payments while working work-study. I was trying to think of some place that was special to us and I remembered how she told me she was hoping I'd ask her out in the library before our final and she was disappointed that I didn't, to which I promised I'd make it up to her someday.

In keeping with a pattern of numbers: her birthday was the 23rd of May, our first date was the 23rd of November, I had the ring paid off and thought I'd propose on Dec. 23rd while I was home on Christmas break, and NO the engagement ring wasn't her Christmas present.

Well, in wanting to propose in the library at PSNK, I wrote to the president of the campus, and he was more than happy to help. He said that they would open the building for me and the librarian was more than happy to help out.

I came home on the 22nd and went shopping for champagne (recommended to me by someone who wrote a wine review column he may have been a PSU professor I no longer recall) and some champagne glasses. She was disappointed as she wanted to spend time with me since I was home, but I told her I had to go Christmas shopping for her (I had her shopping already done).

I got up early the next morning, took the champagne and glasses to the library, and put them in the exact same spot where we chatted in the library before our final.

I then went to see her and told her that I wanted to run to PSNK’s library, as it was the only place that had a particular magazine that listed job opportunities. She said she wanted to go with me and on that snowy morning, she never suspected why there were only three other cars in the school parking lot. We went in and the receptionist and a custodial person were at the front desk chatting with the shi*tiest looking grins as we said hello and walked to the library.

The librarian said hello to us also with a big shi*ty grin. I had her sit in the exact same desks we sat at that day before our final and she could not see that on my desk was the champagne and glasses. I said to her, "Do you remember we sat here when we were supposed to study for our chemistry final?" She said, "Yes and I was so disappointed you didn't ask me out." I said, "Do you remember I said that I'd make up to you?" Then I got on my knee and proposed to which she said, "You bet."

That was very well done, John. I graduated a year before my wife and during her senior year I would drive to State College and spend the weekends with her. Her birthday was in November, and on her birthday weekend I made reservations at Le Papillion - the fanciest place I could think of in State College back then. Popped the question after dinner, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Reactions: john4psu
I have met my wife at the Corner Room after she is done shopping and I found something else to do.

She did not attend Penn State and we didn't travel to State College until we were married 43 years ago.

that's an awesome story John

I think you all know my story, but I ask because this week (March 19th to be exact) marked the 35th anniversary of our first date - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Eisenhower Auditorium. The rest was history. I didn't think about it much this week, but I usually open a nice bottle of wine on Friday night, and, well, wine transports me me back in time these days.

So, what's your story?
Met at Kern grad student commons...she was majoring in special ed, I was a grad student. First date was Billy Joel at Rec Hall...been married for 40 years

Met when she joined my summer co-ed softball team. She was an incoming freshman and I was between Junior and Senior year.
Got engaged back on the fields after we graduated.
Daughter is now a freshman at Penn State.

Met at Kern grad student commons...she was majoring in special ed, I was a grad student. First date was Billy Joel at Rec Hall...been married for 40 years
That's a nice first date.

Our first official date was at a restaurant long closed in German Village--and we had a huge fight that day. Worked it out (that night--"don't let the sun go down on your anger")--as I figured she had a lot of passion for life--and you don't get angry at someone you don't care about. Turned out I was right--and she loved that I saw that in her. We've got 25 years in in September.

No thank God. That would have been 30 years of marriage, and some damn fun times I had in my 20s missed out on.

Of course the U of MD grad I met and married in my 30s wasn't any good either.

I'm now 10 years into Sacramento State. Fingers crossed :)

So, what's your story?

Met my wife while my friend, his brother and I were locked out of my apt. in Hetzel Plaza They were cursing me for losing the key, and while we were eating Subway, and consuming a 12 pk of Carling Black Label in the hall way outside the apt., she was wandering around on our floor looking for friends at a fiesta. She couldn't resist the Munce charm after I struck up a conversation w/ her. Celebrating 20 yrs. of marriage in June, and several years before that dating, engagement, etc.

Yep! Met her in November 1973, my Junior year, at a Phi Who (Phi Kappa Theta) Jammy.

Our House had a Jammy that Saturday night at Phi Who. Anyone that went to school back then knows that Jammies were the ultimate little boy in a candy store environment.

Anyway, some girl I knew from high school invited me to her apartment party that night. I absolutely hated apartment parties because compared to jammys and Fraternity functions, they were down right boring. But I went anyway just to be polite.

As we sat around and talked, I kept looking at my watch, and couldn't wait to get out of there. I had told this girl I would have to leave around 9 or 10 o'clock. Finally, around 9 or 10, I got out of there and walked up to Phi Who.

When I walked into a jammy, I would immediately look for the best looking girl that wasn't with a guy, and ask them to dance. When I walked in the door at Phi Who, I saw this incredibly hot looking, drop dead gorgeous girl with long dark hair standing in the foyer with her coat on. I didn't need to look any further. I asked her to dance.

She told me she was getting ready to leave, and she was just waiting for her Sorority Sister to come out of the ladies room. Then she said something like, "Just a minute, maybe I can talk her into staying".

So she came out of the ladies room a couple of minutes later with her coat off, and told me they decided to stay. The band was playing Smoke On The Water, and we went out and danced. Spent pretty much the rest of the night together and had an absolutely fantastic time. When I walked her back to her dorm, I asked her if she wanted to go with me to our Fraternity's Christmas Party in a couple of weeks. She said "Sure!".

I remember when I picked her up for the party two weeks later, at how stunned I was at how strikingly drop dead beautiful she really was. It's one thing for a girl to look gorgeous when you are filled with 10 gallons of alcohol. It's something completely different when they are even better looking when you are stone cold sober. I went to pick her up with one of my Fraternity brothers (he was taking one of her Sorority Sisters to the same party) and his jaw about dropped to the floor.

Anyway, we had an utterly fantastic time together at the Christmas Party, and on Monday evening when the Pledges gave out their Date of the Week Honors, she unanimously won it hands down. Everyone loved her.

We saw each other on and off over the next few months, and would bump into each other at different Fraternity parties. The funny thing was no matter who each of us was with, no matter what the function was, we would always just gravitate towards each other. It's like as soon as we would see each other, we had this kind of uncontrollable radar, and had to be with each other.

Then in April, during the Phi Psi 500, we finally realized we didn't want to be with anyone else but each other. That's when I gave her my Fraternity Pin. We have been happily married now for 41 years.

If I would have stayed at that boring apartment party 5 minutes longer, I would have never met her. God works in good ways. I am the luckiest guy in the World.

So, what's your story?
He had a date for Homecoming 1970 and I was running around that evening with a visiting alum. Lots of Collegian friends were gathering at his apartment over the Music Mart (once featured in the Centre Daily Times as one of the "slums of State College"). When my friend called it a night, I headed back to the Music Mart. His date was apparently not going well and he took her home. I stayed at the apartment and we got pretty cozy that night. We went to a party over the Christmas break and got together at the beginning of winter term. He asked me to marry him that first week and we've been together ever since. Both my friend and his date are deceased. And, in reference to another current thread, we lost our precious Ki-Jana cat in August 2015 after 19 years and still mourn him

No but the funny thing is that most women I dated came up to visit and then I met them and dated them and had long distance relationships. It was the strangest thing.

I finally married someone that actually went to Boston college. First two years I dated her they beat us. Damn! Eventually she converted and now bleeds blue and white as well as my kids.

Yes indeed

Met at a frat party Phi Sig Delt Sig before labor day weekend junior year. Actually her and her roommate. Guys in my apartment giving me the business to take both of them as her roommate was shall we say seemed more interested. As labor day approaches, the roommate goes home- we stay in state college --our first date is at the Breakers/Surf club (don't judge they had great wings and love those Agent Oranges) and that was it.

ironically I lived off campus my whole time there but was taking an extra semester before graduation so had to get into a semester dorm contract. She lived in Curtain hall her whole time, but it turned had to get into a dorm contract for a semester due to student teaching, and by luck of the draw we both ended up in Beaver Hall(rare coed dorm) for our last semester there.

26 years and counting

Last edited:
Yes indeed

Met at a frat party Phi Sig Delt Sig before labor day weekend junior year. Actually her and her roommate. Guys in my apartment giving me the business to take both of them as her roommate was shall we say seemed more interested. As labor day approaches, the roommate goes home- we stay in state college --our first date is at the Breakers/Surf club (don't judge they had great wings and love those Agent Oranges) and that was it.

ironically I lived off campus my whole time there but was taking an extra semester before graduation so had to get into a semester dorm contract. She lived in Curtain hall her whole time, but it turned had to get into a dorm contract for a semester due to student teaching, and by luck of the draw we both ended up in Beaver Hall(rare coed dorm) for our last semester there.

26 years and counting

loved the Surf Club

ADVERTISEMENT