ADVERTISEMENT

Did you meet your wife/husband at Penn State .......

CF LION

May 29, 2001
.... and if so, what was your first date?

------A little break from Spanier trial discussion---------

I think you all know my story, but I ask because this week (March 19th to be exact) marked the 35th anniversary of our first date - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Eisenhower Auditorium. The rest was history. I didn't think about it much this week, but I usually open a nice bottle of wine on Friday night, and, well, wine transports me me back in time these days.

So, what's your story?

I think you all know my story, but I ask because this week (March 19th to be exact) marked the 35th anniversary of our first date - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Eisenhower Auditorium. The rest was history. I didn't think about it much this week, but I usually open a nice bottle of wine on Friday night, and, well, wine transports me me back in time these days.

So, what's your story?

No, but I met a lot of 'wrong ones' there

So, what's your story?
That is a pretty cool first date. I was so focused on getting my degree and moving into the corporate world that I didn't pursue relationships while in college. I had a lot a bad dates, a few very good ones and several in between. You were blessed and I feel for you. I suggest you enjoy a glass of wine or two!

I've mentioned before that my wife is a Pitt grad but we actually met in high school. I first asked her out in my senior year. She was a junior and the prettiest girl in the school world. We split up for nearly 2 years due to pressure from her parents, but our love never waivered. We started dating again when I was a junior at Penn State and she a soph at Pitt. We have been together ever since.

So, what's your story?

CF - thoughts with you this week.

I met my future wife at the Lake of the Ozarks on summer vacation as a junior in high school in 1976. Grandparents summer home next to her parents summer home. Our first date was a movie at a tiny theater behind the grocery store in Laurie, MO, Pop < 1000. Separate colleges, separate lives and then married in1990. 27 years this June!

So, what's your story?

Yes. Both of them.:D

Met mine at church. She started work on Monday and on Tuesday I had my guy's group--my group leader was her (nominal) boss. He came in and said: "Ken, have I got the girl for you!" My first reaction was, "Yeah, right...". Fortunately, I kept my mouth shut and thought that if someone wants to introduce me to a nice girl, I should just shut up and let them. We'll be married 25 years in September. Of course, I got my "revenge" on my buddy--as he was a deacon in our church, he could perform marriages--so we asked him to do just that.

And while she was born and raised in Columbus, she's as blue and white as I am. One of the first big things we did when we were dating was a trip to Happy Valley for a game with Syracuse. She loved it. I would have been ok had she not been interested, but I wanted her to know how important it was. She understood.

So, what's your story?
I remember seeing her for the first time in September 1967 at the PUB. Started hanging out in a group, so first date is hard to pin down. Before the month was over we were a couple. Did not get married for another three years, though.

Reactions: WestSideLion
No but I was conceived there
My friends (UM grads) conceived their third child in the Residence Inn at the Snow Bowl Michigan game.
I met my ex at PSU. First date was dinner at the Deli. She was a one semeste (last) roommate of a friend, so we went to skeller and gaff and partied for a few weeks before we actually went in that date.

As some on here may know, Monday night at the Saloon has been Karaoke Night for as long as I can remember. In college, my roommates and I used to buy growlers from the original ottos (2006-2007 timeframe) and drink them while watching 24 and then sing karaoke while housing horrible "Monkey Boy" pitchers. Typical Monday night during my senior year...!

Anyway, fast forward to 2012... I was completing my internship at UPMC Altoona and took a few visiting students for beer and karaoke at the Saloon. We arrived early and had played pool and drank/nursed beer for a few hours before karaoke started. Around 9, they put out the karaoke book, and I walked over to sign up. A hot, tall blonde was there with a friend and I asked her what I should sing. She said, "Jack and Diane." I agreed, sang the song to her, and got her number afterwards.

Dated a couple weeks later. Married two years later. The Saloon, love that place. I have destroyed so much ice in that bathroom over the years...

I also dated some horrible Penn State girls over the years while in school. My wife actually went to Lock Haven although neither of us were students when we met in the strictest sense (she had just finished her LPN, and I was a medical intern).

Last edited:
I met my wife when we were both juniors at University Park. She was from Ogontz campus and I was from Beaver Campus. We were next door neighbors in Beaver Hill Apts. Started dating officially in Jan 1981. First date was a quick dinner and a movie.

Have been married over 31 years now and have two children currently at PSU main campus.

Oh the good ole days.

So, what's your story?

Yes; and my Bed:

Just kidding we went to ice cream near the original Mcklenahans

I met my wife at my fraternity. I gave her a ride back to her apartment and we have been together ever since. That was 1982. We will be married 33 years in July. As I type this we are sitting in our 2nd home in State College. She is as big a Nittany Lion fan as I am and now calls SC her hometown. Guys never pass up on the red head.

My wife and I may move to SC in a couple of years. Good place to raise children despite drunk college kids? State high, I'm told, is a great school system.

My roommate in my fraternity was dating a girl who always told me that her roommate was perfect for me. It was spring, 1966, and I was in my senior year. After a few weeks, she set up a blind date for a jammy we having at the house. Saying yes to that blind date was the best move I ever made and we will celebrate out 49th wedding anniversary next month..

Nope, I didn't. She attended Bowling Green and I graced the campuses of Toledo and Defiance College.
Met at Sweetbriar Golf Course in Avon Lake (west suburb of Cleveland) where I was working. This really good looking lady came walking up the driveway with her friends, and I told the guys in the pro shop I was going to ask out the one in yellow.
I didn't. We had leagues that night, she was going to leave and golf elsewhere, but I convinced her to stay - because I bought the group a couple pitchers of beer! :)
Next night she calls the course and asks me out to a Tribe game. I was working and couldn't go.

First date was golf and a stop at Around the Corner in Lakewood for wings.

OL

Met my first wife at PSU Beaver, then when we transferred to Behrend we lived together... got married after she graduated... got divorced 7 years later and I've never looked back. Met my wife (UMD grad) online, our first date was on April Fools Day!

Yes. We met in Americana House. Our first date was chocolate cake from the Deli and Heineken. Been happily married 35 years.

I am heartened by the number of long time marriages in this thread. I think I counted 9 of 25 years or more. I am not judgmental about those who have divorced. Sometimes it is the best option for both spouses. Still, congrats and best wishes to those who have made it for a quarter century or more.
6C7911377-tdy-130617-leo-toasts-1.jpg

Reactions: vops and maxxedout
That is a pretty cool first date. I was so focused on getting my degree and moving into the corporate world that I didn't pursue relationships while in college. I had a lot a bad dates, a few very good ones and several in between. You were blessed and I feel for you. I suggest you enjoy a glass of wine or two!

Yes - married at St Paul's United Methodist on College Ave, reception at the Nittany Lion Inn - that was 43 years ago and counting...from grandfather 1923 to oldest son 2016..We Are...a Penn State family....

Reactions: PSU77sh
Met her in 76, in 77 we lived in the same house on Allen Street, 311, owned by Paul Bender. After that it was over, married in 79, so that's like, forever, 38 years.

I am heartened by the number of long time marriages in this thread. I think I counted 9 of 25 years or more. I am not judgmental about those who have divorced. Sometimes it is the best option for both spouses. Still, congrats and best wishes to those who have made it for a quarter century or more.
6C7911377-tdy-130617-leo-toasts-1.jpg

Would have been 32 years for us last November. Being together at Penn State for a few years definitely provided the foundation for us. You do a lot of growing in those years and we grew together. By the time she graduated (one year after me), we both knew we wanted to be together forever. Until death do we part.....

Last edited:
Would have been 33 for us in November. Being together at Penn State for a few years definitely provided the foundation for us. You do a lot of growing in those years and we grew together. By the time she graduated (one year after me), we both knew we wanted to be together forever. Until death do we part.....
I think everyone who has read your posts knows how much you loved your wife and she loved you in return. It may not be of much comfort to you, but your posts have made me realize the uncertainty of life; to appreciate my wife all the more; and to try to be a better husband.

ADVERTISEMENT