ADVERTISEMENT

Did Urban Meyer, either while at UF or OSU, have a legal duty

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
to report this under Title IX or any other code section or under the common law? Did he breach that duty? If the answer is yes....

Can Courtney Smith claim that his breach of duty(ies) caused her damages, whatever they have been, since 2009?

I suspect the research on those questions is being done or has already been done.

If what Courtney Smith says is true, you can take it as a fact that her life is very much in danger since he was fired. Any guy who sneaks into her backyard or her boyfriends backyard to peer through the windows at her with her boyfriend is capable of killing her.

to report this under Title IX or any other code section or under the common law? Did he breach that duty? If the answer is yes....

Can Courtney Smith claim that his breach of duty(ies) caused her damages, whatever they have been, since 2009?

I suspect the research on those questions is being done or has already been done.

If what Courtney Smith says is true, you can take it as a fact that her life is very much in danger since he was fired. Any guy who sneaks into her backyard or her boyfriends backyard to peer through the windows at her with her boyfriend is capable of killing her.
Regarding your last point, she clearly needs that PPO now. Has it been granted?

Regarding your last point, she clearly needs that PPO now. Has it been granted?
? I thought it was granted and that is what got him fired. That said, paper orders do not stop bullets or knives or doors being battered down very well.

Reactions: step.eng69
"
Did Urban Meyer, either while at UF or OSU, have a legal duty
to report this under Title IX or any other code section or under the common law? Did he breach that duty?

This long reddit post by an Ohio lawyer says no at least for Title IX. He is an obvious OSU fan, so you can take it for what it is worth. He does cite Supreme Court case law.

reddit.com/r/OhioStateFootball/comments/95nvnj/a_lawyers_deep_dive_part_ii_legal_analysis_of_the/

[add www. to the beginning above to get the url. Otherwise, the url takes up too much space here.]

Some additional info for your consideration:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-zach-down-and-take-urban-meyer-down-with-him

I just saw something about Urban Meyer having a fraud or dishonesty clause in his contract. So, his lying in the Big Ten media days presss conference may be all that is necessary to justify his termination for cause.

Some additional info for your consideration:
I'm not going to spend the time looking for the screen shots of the texts being exchanged between Mrs. and Mr., but when ZS apologizes for strangling his wife in Punta Cana. I think Mrs. Bruce needs to rethink her statement saying Zach wouldn't do that (abuse his wife).
Just a thought.

OL

I'm not going to spend the time looking for the screen shots of the texts being exchanged between Mrs. and Mr., but when ZS apologizes for strangling his wife in Punta Cana. I think Mrs. Bruce needs to rethink her statement saying Zach wouldn't do that (abuse his wife).
Just a thought.

OL
I like how they say this all comes from when Zach cheated on her 5 years ago. Did it not start in 2009? So, she was not angry or made crazy by being beat up in 09, it took him cheating on her to really make her nuts, eh?

Just a thought.

OL
Just for the sake of discussion......there has been talk here about the authenticity of emails in the Curley/Spanier Case. Do you think the texts have been verified? I am skeptical of Zach's Mother....for the obvious reason. However, if Courtney's Mother is quoted correctly, how do we feel about that?

Just a thought.

OL
Maybe you might want to consider what Courtney Smith's own mother said:

"Reached this afternoon, Tina Carano would only communicate via text messages and backed Lynn Bruce’s version.

When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/c...8intentionally-abused-her-e2-80-99/ar-BBLJiq9

if Courtney's Mother is quoted correctly, how do we feel about that?
If this is the case, then the whole thing is nucking futs. It's a big bag of she said - he said -now, momma says.

There is too much history going back to 2009, IMO, for this not have hold water. Suburban admits to counseling the couple. Would ZS not tell his head coach then "this is brown stuff on a white turkey"?

And, what about the two (I'll still call it Soprano-like even though our ohowIhate lurkers don't like that term) who went to "talk" to Mrs. Smith? If not true, why the need to make a house call?

Back to your question...I don't know. Getting close to not opening any more of these threads.

OL

If this is the case, then the whole thing is nucking futs. It's a big bag of she said - he said -now, momma says.

If that is the case, why is it Meyer's job to investigate? He should be able to rely on the police.

Did Urbie tell the police about his assistants problems with wife abuse?

We don't know. Would add that if you believe Courtney Smith's mother, there wasn't wife abuse. Also, whether Urban reported anything or not, the matter was before the police multiple times. It was their job to investigate. If charges had been brought, almost surely ZS would have been fired.

Meyer was not an eyewitness that I am aware of, so wouldn't have had that much to give to the police anyway.

My question of the day is to ask “is it wrong to laugh when my phone autocorrects “Buckeyes” to “Blackeyes?”

Reactions: odshowtime
We don't know. Would add that if you believe Courtney Smith's mother, there wasn't wife abuse. Also, whether Urban reported anything or not, the matter was before the police multiple times. It was their job to investigate. If charges had been brought, almost surely ZS would have been fired.

Meyer was not an eyewitness that I am aware of, so wouldn't have had that much to give to the police anyway.
I find it hard to believe that Zach would admit he choked her out in texts, say he's sorry, have 9 domestics over this last decade, and yet there was never any abuse. I'm not sure how much evidence is required for a reasonable person to believe someone who has come forward with claims of abuse that many times. To me, it meets the threshold that enough evidence exists for the preponderance to conclude that abuse has been taking place and there are now many attempts to discredit the abused (as is often the case).

Reactions: Jakey_John
If Urban knew the wife was being abused, shouldn't he have reported it to the property authorities.

You are assuming as a fact that she was abused. Her own mother says she wasn't. That issue is in conflict.

One possible scenario is that Urban heard conflicting facts and relied on the police to do their job. From the statement he filed, he apparently reported this to OSU. (will see soon whether this is accurate) If he did and there was substance to the allegations, it would be up to OSU to report it to the police.

Last edited:
Jim Mora on sirius radio today. He said coaches need to report anything and everything to their appointed contact (title 9) I presume......and then stay the hell out of it. Funny, basically what Joe did and got crucified.

Maybe you might want to consider what Courtney Smith's own mother said:

"Reached this afternoon, Tina Carano would only communicate via text messages and backed Lynn Bruce’s version.

When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/c...8intentionally-abused-her-e2-80-99/ar-BBLJiq9

She seems to be off her rocker. See if you can get her a meeting with Urban’s life coach.

You are assuming as a fact that she was abused. Her own mother says she wasn't. That fact is in conflict.

One possible scenario is that Urban heard conflicting facts and relied on the police to do their job. From the statement he filed, he apparently reported this to OSU. (will see soon whether this is accurate) If he did and there was substance to the allegations, it would be up to OSU to report it to the police.
Think of me as Joe Q Public.....facts don't matter. Facts, you are pulling my chain right.
See me in the morning, need my rest.

About the only thing that cannot be disputed, is that the Powell Police are very familiar with Zach and Courtney and their incidents. Why is Urban Meyer being investigated and not the Police Department?
Its reminiscent of JVP and the PSU 3 being taken down and not a single employee of Centre County CYS or TSM getting their hair messed?

You are assuming as a fact that she was abused. Her own mother says she wasn't. That issue is in conflict.

Who cares what her mother said. The guy admitted to abusing his wife in the text messages. Are you claiming those texts are fake?

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
If that is the case, why is it Meyer's job to investigate? He should be able to rely on the police.
Never said it was his job to investigate, did I? Nope.
However, standing in front of God and man on B1G media day and saying what he said, his carefully chosen words later admitting he lied without admitting he lied, and, sorry 777, there had to be truth in the story if UM became that involved with the couple and Mrs UM even said she was scared of him.
All that, yes, is on UM.
And, I cannot erase the picture of the "core values" painted on the wall; Honesty and Treat Women with Respect.
(No disrespect to you, but I will not be commenting anymore on this tonight. I'm tired as HS FB 2-a-day practices are tough on this old 56-year old. Not snubbing you, just going to get some sleep. Good Day from Archbold, OH)

OL

the matter was before the police multiple times.
Okay, one more response as I was catching up on all the posts made while I was typing/editing my last one.

I'm a retired teacher-turned packaging materials salesman (please contact me if you are a purchasing agent :D).

Question I have is about the investigations. Do they normally seal these and have no comment? Why wouldn't the Powell police make them public if there is absolutely, positively nothing damning towards ZS?
And, I know nothing about divorce papers, but those are sealed also without (reportedly) Mrs. S's knowledge. Is this normal?

OL

The guy admitted to abusing his wife in the text messages. Are you claiming those texts are fake?

CS's mother and ZS's mother both say the same thing, he hit her unintentionally while trying to get away. In fact ZS's mother's statement fits perfectly with the bruises and injuries that CS had. 1. A cut on the hand. 2. Bruise on back of elbow. 3. Redness on side of upper arm. 4. Redness on neck.

Here is ZS's mother's statement [basically backed up by CS's mother] as to what she witnessed:

"
“I witnessed what she did several times: She would get in his face and block his path while screaming at him. One time when I was there, he was trying to walk down the steps and she blocked him so he couldn’t leave the house. He couldn’t get by her and he had to leave, so he just picked her up by the arms and placed her to the side, so he could walk by and walk out the door. When he did that, I am sure that would leave red marks on her arms. It would if he picked me up and moved me, too. Then she would take a picture.
“She was the aggressor. She was always very confrontational with him.”facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014
[to keep short, I took www. from the link]

I realize some will say that ZS's mother is biased, but everyone (except maybe Carano) is.

The pictures I found are here. https://www.earnthenecklace.com/zach-smith-wiki-ohio-state-wife-abuse/

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the Powell police make them public if there is absolutely, positively nothing damning towards ZS?

The answer is to protect themselves. I think 100% they should be opened.

Sealing divorce papers is quite common to keep the parties dirty laundry out of the public eye.

Reactions: OhioLion
CS's mother and ZS's mother both say the same thing, he hit her unintentionally while trying to get away. If fact ZS's mother's statement fits perfectly with the bruises and injuries that CS had. She stated that CS 1. A cut on the hand. 2. Bruise on back of elbow. 3. Redness on side of upper arm. 4. Redness on neck.

Here is ZS's mother's statement [basically backed up by CS's mother] as to what she witnessed:

"
“I witnessed what she did several times: She would get in his face and block his path while screaming at him. One time when I was there, he was trying to walk down the steps and she blocked him so he couldn’t leave the house. He couldn’t get by her and he had to leave, so he just picked her up by the arms and placed her to the side, so he could walk by and walk out the door. When he did that, I am sure that would leave red marks on her arms. It would if he picked me up and moved me, too. Then she would take a picture.
“She was the aggressor. She was always very confrontational with him.”facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014
[to keep short, I took www. from the link]

I realize some will say that ZS's mother is biased, but everyone (except maybe Carano) is.

The pictures I found are here. https://www.earnthenecklace.com/zach-smith-wiki-ohio-state-wife-abuse/
Hit her unintentionally while trying to get away. And they SAW this? Riiiight.

Hit her unintentionally while trying to get away. And they SAW this? Riiiight

Why wouldn't she see it? They are family members. Particularly if CS was as aggressive as they say. CS's mother backs up the explanation.

There are many incidents related of CS acting vindictively at the Snook facebook post. Here is one:

"In another incident in November, 2015, when the couple was separated, Bruce said that Courtney Smith called the Powell police and accused her ex-husband was stalking her. “Someone in the neighborhood told her a black truck drove through the area at 2 a.m. and she determined it had to be Zach,” she said. “It turned out that he was out of the state recruiting at the time. That’s just how obsessed she became at getting back at him.”

There are many incidents related of CS acting vindictively at the Snook facebook post. Here is one:

"In another incident in November, 2015, when the couple was separated, Bruce said that Courtney Smith called the Powell police and accused her ex-husband was stalking her. “Someone in the neighborhood told her a black truck drove through the area at 2 a.m. and she determined it had to be Zach,” she said. “It turned out that he was out of the state recruiting at the time. That’s just how obsessed she became at getting back at him.”

Or just how consumed a beaten woman can become by their abuser. That’s the goal of the abuser. At 2 AM he’s got her thinking about him. Control.

Reactions: demlion
Earle Bruce's beloved grandson should be able to cheat on his wife with impunity!!!!! Damn it!!! Society must protect Buckeye Football!!!! ;)

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Just a warning for UM......keep on the lookout for a free pizza delivery!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT