ADVERTISEMENT

Did Q get the job?

For all you old timers, who coached Tyrone and later became an outstanding college coach that had his share of national champs?

Not related to Q, Tyrone, or PA wrestling in any way really, but a fun trivia question. What future Hall of Fame coach in another sport got his start coaching high school wrestling in Iowa, and despite not wrestling himself and learning wrestling from a book led his team to an Iowa state title his last season as a wrestling coach before switching sports?

Reactions: SRATH and Dogwelder
One of his champs coached my HS to its most recent PIAA tournament title.
Barton at Clearfield?
More obvious guess is Northampton and Rohn. I am not sure if Northampton has won one since Rohn stopped being the head coach.

Not related to Q, Tyrone, or PA wrestling in any way really, but a fun trivia question. What future Hall of Fame coach in another sport got his start coaching high school wrestling in Iowa, and despite not wrestling himself and learning wrestling from a book led his team to an Iowa state title his last season as a wrestling coach before switching sports?
Russ Rose

Barton at Clearfield?
More obvious guess is Northampton and Rohn. I am not sure if Northampton has won one since Rohn stopped being the head coach.
Barton is right (1986). One of his 3 PIAA champs that year was Scott Collins, who won an NCAA title in 1991 for WVU and later coached at Clearfield for a while.

Reactions: danoftw
Russ Rose
Haha, it wouldn't surprise me, but not who I had in mind. My wife's aunt from Marshalltown, Iowa, was telling me how her uncle (my wife's great-uncle) was a really good lightweight wrestler. I was trying to find some information about him and ran across an item about Marshalltown High's 1926 state championship wrestling team being coached by a guy named Adolph Rupp. I thought it might just be someone with the same name, but confirmed it was indeed the future Kentucky basketball coach. He left Marshalltown after that season to coach high school basketball before taking over at Kentucky a few years later.

Now is the Wright time for Tyrone coach

Now is the Wright time for Tyrone coach

Imagine being a non-wrestling person and getting Q’s resume and then reading the other ones. The interesting part is he has a personality and attitude that wouldn’t be on paper but may be his best quality.

image_asset_20322.jpg
Good for Quentin! (and PSU)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT